Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   What is the best Electric Cooling Fan kit for a cheap price (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/996799-what-is-the-best-electric-cooling-fan-kit-for-a-cheap-price.html)

BlitZ_ 09-29-2010 08:13 PM

What is the best Electric Cooling Fan kit for a cheap price

Looking to remove my HP robbing fan clutch and go electric. I want one that is make spec for my 2003 king ranch 5.4 4x4. I dont want to drop a whole lot of money but I dont want a peice of junk either.I want it to last me for a long time with out any problems. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Johnny Langton 09-30-2010 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by BlitZ_ (Post 9384104)
Looking to remove my HP robbing fan clutch and go electric. I want one that is make spec for my 2003 king ranch 5.4 4x4. I dont want to drop a whole lot of money but I dont want a peice of junk either.I want it to last me for a long time with out any problems. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

If you want a fan that'll last, and actually move enough air to reliably cool the engine, then you do not want any of the aftermarket "kits". You'll need to fabricate your own from a good OEM fan, and modify the truck's existing fan shroud to house that OEM fan.
JL

BURNSTOUGHFORD 09-30-2010 07:29 AM

Any suggestions Johnny on what fan to use and control system? As well as best installation spots?

Been interested for awhile, i think id rather build my own as well.

Johnny Langton 09-30-2010 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD (Post 9385404)
Any suggestions Johnny on what fan to use and control system? As well as best installation spots?

Been interested for awhile, i think id rather build my own as well.

The best fan, IMO (with experience to back that opinion up), is the '94-'97 Tbird/Cougar fan. It's a 2-speed fan, so you can use the low speed for everyday cooling, and have an high limit temp switch to control the high speed in the case that you need it. That's what I've used on the last 2 that I've done e-fans on, and those fans work. I use an adjustable thermostatic controller that has an A/C input to turn the fan on when the A/C compressor is running, and use a high amp relay for the fan itself. The OEM fans will literally melt those little cube relays that most all of the fan controller use. I always get the fan controller that has the threaded sensor so you can tap it into direct coolant flow-those that have the "probe" that you wedge into the radiator fins are not very accurate and are not reliable. I'll dig up the part numbers of the controller and such in a bit and post them later.
JL

BURNSTOUGHFORD 09-30-2010 08:22 AM

Awsome, thanks johnny. I know where there is a cougar in a junkyard near here. Might have to go see what they want for it.

Johnny Langton 09-30-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD (Post 9385554)
Awsome, thanks johnny. I know where there is a cougar in a junkyard near here. Might have to go see what they want for it.

Make sure it's a '94-'97 4.6L. I dunno if the 3.8L cars have the same fan.
JL

BlitZ_ 10-01-2010 06:59 PM

Im not going to rig anything up I want a direct bolt on kit thats spec for my truck. If I have to spend a little extra money to get a good one then I will but im not doing any kind of fabrication on this mod its just not worth that much effort to me.

Johnny Langton 10-01-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlitZ_ (Post 9391666)
Im not going to rig anything up I want a direct bolt on kit thats spec for my truck. If I have to spend a little extra money to get a good one then I will but im not doing any kind of fabrication on this mod its just not worth that much effort to me.

Then be ready to buy substandard aftermarket garbage fans that are very overpriced, do not move anywhere near the air that they claim, and fail with startling regularity.
JL

BlitZ_ 10-01-2010 07:08 PM

well if you want to do the fabing ive got the $$$ 03 f150 king ranch 5.4L 4x4

Johnny Langton 10-01-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlitZ_ (Post 9391705)
well if you want to do the fabing ive got the $$$ 03 f150 king ranch 5.4L 4x4

I'm not here to sell anything, but I can tell you what you need to do it yourself. You'll be much happier, and knowing that you did it yourself is worth alot.
JL

Johnny Langton 10-01-2010 07:19 PM

Here's the fan controller I like to use:
Derale Cooling Products 16749 - Derale Performance Deluxe Adjustable Controllers with Pipe Threaded Probes - Overview - SummitRacing.com
You'll need a high-amp relay to actually power the fan-use the relay on the fan controller to trigger the high-amp relay.
Here's the high-amp relay I like to use:
Terminal Resolutions has Wire Terminals, Automotive Wire, Battery Terminals & Electrical Supplies
It can handle the startup and continuous load from the fan-you'll need two of these if you want to run the high-speed with a thermal switch or with a manual override switch.
JL

BlitZ_ 10-01-2010 07:33 PM

ok post the ebay links away

Dr.Decoy 09-03-2013 04:36 PM

Hey Johnny Langton, I am trying to do this mod on my 2001 Ford F-150 5.4L Crew Cab. The link you gave for the High Amp Relay doesn't seem to be working. Can you repost it for me? Also do you have any photos that show your mod? How you mounted everything up? Thanks!