Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Look what I found in my driveway this morning! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/991353-look-what-i-found-in-my-driveway-this-morning.html)

jmadsen 09-12-2010 09:36 AM

Look what I found in my driveway this morning!

Guess the one on the left was feeling a bit lonely out there? going to merge the two together into one,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...eedrearend.jpg

Anyone have any tips for freeing up the right rear brakes so I can roll it off the borrowed trailer? It rolled ok backwards but not forwards.

I think it has "Double Anchor Self Centering" brakes according to brake types listed in the shop manual Page 215 Fig 6.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to help make drum come off easier ? once drum is off probably just pull shoes off the anchor pin so it will roll free enough to get off the trailer, or if I can get any movement out of the adjustment cam or wheel cylinder??? or just remove the shoes altogether as I wont be using this axle, Instead I'll be using the 2 speed rear.

Thanks

Josh

Tomget 09-12-2010 10:00 AM

Wow that's cool. Goodluck with that. Wish I had a suggestion for your
brake delimna. My only experience with this is on the smaller half tons and it was almost always bad. At least with my badly rusted/old projects. Usually I'd try to spray Blaster penetration oil in there or whatever as I thought the shoes were "welded to the drum" etc. But mostly i would push and pull and finally crack/damage the drum etc. Maybe these aren't soooo stuck. I'm sure someone with more success will come along.

bobj49f2 09-12-2010 11:46 AM

Some a while back, I think it might have been Ross, suggested soaking stuck brake shoes with water. It's suppose to work and since you're not using the axle what can it hurt?

jmadsen 09-12-2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 9320538)
Some a while back, I think it might have been Ross, suggested soaking stuck brake shoes with water. It's suppose to work and since you're not using the axle what can it hurt?

Guess I could take the hose and spray water in the drum? not sure how much water would actually get in there to soak them good enough though?

I need to find a very large flat screwdriver to remove the 3 machine screws holding the drum on, is there an actual special driver bit made for that or just the largest screwdriver you can find?? then the problem of putting enough torque on them to brake loose ??

will at least try to remove drum and then may try the water if it won't move? wondering though if the water would /could actually make the lining swell ??? nah? hmmm

bobj49f2 09-12-2010 12:21 PM

I'm not sure what the water does, I suspect it makes the padding mushy and breaks it down, don't really know.

I use a big screwdriver and some heat to remove those bolts. You could also try soaking them with penetrating oil for a day or two but I don't have patience for that.

SCRAPHEAP51 09-12-2010 12:33 PM

Cool Trucks. How about using a impact screw driver? I had some success with rusted screws but not on a brake drum. Of course using Blaster can always help as well as some heat.

cmoritz 09-12-2010 12:37 PM

I'm not sure of the mechanical detail of the large screw holding the drum on, ..but I often use a hand-held impact driver, a spring loaded tool that you smack with a hammer..often used to disassemble small engines,side covers and the like. Install the largest bit that will fit the screwhead..add heat to the screw for improved results.
I also have a device that fits into my air-hammer that does the same thing,only uses air pressure instead of smacking it with a hammer.
If the wheel rotates one way and not the other..certainly allow it to rotate and free itself..then try to remove drum...I guess thats only obvious though, working on a trailer can be tough.Good Find BTW!

56panelford 09-12-2010 12:49 PM

I think if you applied heat to the drum it should free things up.

jmadsen 09-12-2010 03:36 PM

Thanks all, 2 came right out no problems, the third came out ok after a little heat. :)

drum actually came off fairly easily, maybe after using a come along to pull it forward a bit help loosen it up?? not really sure what was causing the bind except maybe the wheel cylinder may have been froze up and finally released a little bit?? anyway it's off the trailer now and in the driveway ready for some serious work now.

Josh

56panelford 09-12-2010 03:49 PM

Glad to hear all worked out well for you.

truckdog62563 09-12-2010 03:55 PM

Good goin' Josh. Glad it came apart without too much torture. You've got a heck of a nice project truck there. Seeing no rust makes me envious. Stu

51PanelMan 09-12-2010 11:56 PM

Your neighbors must love you.

I was going to suggest dynamite for the drum issue, but see that you're already successul. :)

1952 09-13-2010 08:09 AM

Those Coop mud flaps were common when I was a kid in North Dakota. Haven't seen them in quite awhile.

55 f350 09-13-2010 08:59 AM

who parked my trucks in your driveway ?????????????? i demand you bring them back to illinois !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!}>

old58 09-13-2010 09:35 AM

I Love it...great looking trucks