Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kentucky Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum151/)
-   -   I may upgrade (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/990003-i-may-upgrade.html)

ky79 09-07-2010 06:43 PM

I may upgrade

Well guys its been a while scince I have been on here. Just really buisy but on a good note I may be upgrading from my f100 to a 96 f250 7.3. Its excab 4x4 auto and bone stock so if I pick it up are the any thinks I should change just for a reliability or maintinance point of view. Let me know as im new to diesels and lack a lot of insight them. Take care and hope everyone is doing well.

CampSpringsJohn 09-08-2010 08:50 AM

There are several things you can do. Too much to list at one time from someone that doesn't type too good!. Should you decide to get one, let me know. There are some things to check on these. A lot of the same stuff you would normally check on a truck, but things like a leaking intake tube, and/or air filter. How many miles, tranny. These are expensive to rebuild. I own a 97 psd and an 02 psd.

kenpobuck 09-08-2010 03:40 PM

Those are the first gen psd engines and are what I consider the best of them. As John said they are not cheap to work on tho. A single injector will cost as much as a whole set for my old 6.9 idi. There are many things to look at and many mods that can be done and some from what i hear should be done. If you do get a diesel you will never go back to gasser trucks again. It is an addiction that there is no remedy for and i hope they never do find one lol.

ky79 09-08-2010 03:41 PM

Thanks for the help. I has around 120000 and is aod trans. Iknow it recently had injectors replaced and I believe injection pump also. It is my brotherinlaws truck. I know it had some kind of electrical problem at one point every time you tried to start it, it would blow a couple of relays. but has been repaired. Ill let you know if I pick it up. If I dont get it Im also looking at a 2000 e250 7.3. Its not 4x4 but I have most of the stuff like seats and roll of carpet to make it a good family haller. I would love to find one that was 4x4 but i doubt it would be very easy to find and expensive.

CampSpringsJohn 09-08-2010 08:23 PM

A 97 has an E4OD automatic tranny. It does not have a fuel injection pump. Injectors from the factory will run in the $2500.00 range, assuming you have good cores. Aftermarket injectors are much more reasonable, and better. I've got a set of 150cc's in my 97, and it made a HUGE difference in power, with no sacrifice in mileage. I also have a swamps chip in it too. A 2000 truck while still has the 7.3, does have some things about it that are different from the 94 to 97 models.

ky79 09-14-2010 05:54 PM

Well didnt buy a diesel, kinda went a complete diferent direction. I picked up a very clean 89 ranger. Ita a 2.9 auto excab with about 140000 miles. Plan an swaping in a 302 or 351 next year. Truck needs nothing as far as drivability or body work just paint. I couldnt pass it up for $400. and I can get all my kids in it so no more being stuck at home all week. Ill try and get some pics as soon as I can. I hope everyone else is doing great.

rywegh 09-24-2010 08:53 AM

congrats on the new to you truck! $400 can't beat that at all. Did you keep the f100?

ky79 09-24-2010 03:59 PM

No but its still in the family. My nephew in dry ridge bought it from me so at least if he ever sells it I have first dibs on getting it back.