Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   P2291 fault code in continuous memory (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/988820-p2291-fault-code-in-continuous-memory.html)

suds 09-06-2010 01:42 PM

I'm going to take off the engine cover inside the van and take a good look at things. I don't have a problem doing it, and the main reason I work on my cars is it's hard to find a GOOD mechanic. I hear from friends that there are a couple at Cerritos Ford here in California. I bought the van there, may send it there. Time is important, I need the van for work. I will be back & let you know what happens(I might do it), thanks for your time, you were very helpful. I like your guitar player!

suds 09-07-2010 08:44 PM

Hey Cheezit, what would happen if there was too much oil put in when I had my van serviced? I had them remove some oil last Thursday night, and had it checked out by the tech on Friday. Thursday is the day it was hard to start after it was at running temp with too much oil in it. Friday it seemed fine. Today I drove all over, no problems. Could a couple qts of too much oil cause the problem I had? One more stupid question, do you push the dipstick until it stops (this isn't sex ed), there is a ridge about a 1/4" up, and then the handle can still go until it bottoms out.

cheezit 09-07-2010 08:46 PM

you could get oil aeration, an engine vibration as well.
I like to put my dipstick all the way..... till it bottoms out.

suds 09-07-2010 09:25 PM

So, I guess oil aeration could have done it, but I'll drive it and let you know, thanks again.

suds 09-08-2010 09:10 PM

How do I test the IPR valve?

suds 09-08-2010 09:50 PM

If I choose to air test it, how do I get it to temp with all the parts off of it?

cheezit 09-08-2010 10:17 PM

if oyu do it right it can be done cold. you can still find it.

suds 09-09-2010 08:41 AM

B-4 I take off all the parts, can I hook the air up at the ICP and get the IPR closed, put air into the system and see if it holds? If the IPR was bad, wouldn't it be bad cold, and be hard starting cold? Is there a test for the IPR? Thanks

cheezit 09-09-2010 06:00 PM

yes you will need to air test the system and command the ipr to 100%. sorry but thats not exactly how an ipr functions.
to test the ipr air test the system and activate the ipr and listen for a change in air flow volume.

suds 09-09-2010 07:27 PM

Gotcha, thanks

suds 09-10-2010 05:06 PM

Hey Cheezit, I bought a Innova 3100e code reader. Wanted to see the code for myself. There are no codes in memory, anywhere. The van has been running good, I was going to let it develope. I think the shop might have loaded me with lead! If they read it, would it clear itself? Maybe they cleared it and it has not come back? What's your take, other than it's Friday and I'm cutting into your beer drinkin'.

cheezit 09-10-2010 06:18 PM

HMMMMM does your code reader read can buss or just obdII.
No shop in there right mind would lie to get more work on an econoline. just not gonna happen. they suck to work on and there a loser for us when theres a truck in the parking lot.
if you have a failed o-ring, or stc fitting it possible for it to seal itself from time to time or the oppsite happen and allow it to leak.

suds 09-11-2010 10:31 AM

I had just the obdII, but it would not read. I upgraded to the can-obdII, it reads it. Pulls the vin #, softwre version, etc. Seems good. Will it hurt to drive it, cause more problems? I hear you on the van thing, tight. I just don't want to create problems, or be found on road dead. Thanks

cheezit 09-11-2010 10:36 AM

so far as damage.... well I cant say if it will or not. as a rule p2291 can leave stuck you somewere but most of the time its in a parking lot when you stop the truck. However that does not mean that it cant die on you going down the road.
so far as being found dead on the side of the road..... well move to a state that allows ccw..... thats the best advise I can give you there.
welcome to Texas for the best your not gonna find me dead on the side of the road laws.

suds 09-11-2010 11:00 AM

Keep one in the chamber! Is there an easy way to command the IPR valve, other than getting a connector? Where do I find the voltage to command it?