Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Reset TPMS 2011 F350...please help! :) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/988184-reset-tpms-2011-f350-please-help.html)

admorris 09-01-2010 03:15 PM

Reset TPMS 2011 F350...please help! :)

Just got larger tires on my truck and tire pressure monitor light is on. How would I go about resetting this? VERY much appreciated in advance!

Alan

Byram 09-01-2010 03:22 PM

Discount tire reset mine when I got the tires... I assume the shop where you got tires could help..

Sorry - I din't know how to reset myself....:-X01

admorris 09-01-2010 03:30 PM

Place I had tires put on just said to drive over 45mph for a couple mins. and it would reset itself. That didn't happen. Anyone else have ideas?

dchamberlain 09-01-2010 03:42 PM

Read the Owner's Manual?

Byram 09-01-2010 03:47 PM

Page 236 Owners manual

admorris 09-01-2010 05:19 PM

I left the damn thing at home, but I'm guessing it says to do what I had already done up to that point, which is to drive it for a little while over a certain speed and it will reset. Anyway, I took it down the street to the Ford dealer and they had to use their reset tool to do it...no cost, no big deal.

thanks for the suggestions of reading the owners manual.

boulderbronco 09-09-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by admorris (Post 9283159)
I left the damn thing at home, but I'm guessing it says to do what I had already done up to that point, which is to drive it for a little while over a certain speed and it will reset. Anyway, I took it down the street to the Ford dealer and they had to use their reset tool to do it...no cost, no big deal.

thanks for the suggestions of reading the owners manual.

What pressure are you running in your new tires? I just got new oversized tires today and they couldn't reset the damn thing. The max psi is 50 on these new tires so thats where they are. I can't imagine the TPMS on the F350 freaks out at 50psi!

admorris 09-09-2010 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by boulderbronco (Post 9311588)
What pressure are you running in your new tires? I just got new oversized tires today and they couldn't reset the damn thing. The max psi is 50 on these new tires so thats where they are. I can't imagine the TPMS on the F350 freaks out at 50psi!

Actually, if you follow directions on page 236 you can reset the monitors yo whatever pressure you want. I am running mine at 65 right now but am going to reset to 55 tomorrow.

bpounds 09-09-2010 09:31 PM

Too late for you guys, but if you buy the proper tires for your truck you won't have this issue.

admorris 09-10-2010 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 9311970)
Too late for you guys, but if you buy the proper tires for your truck you won't have this issue.

Wow, thanks for the great advice. I bought load range E tires specifically b/c I had an F350 thinking that was enough, but I gave Ford too much credit. I didn't realize they had a backward ass monitoring system. Amazing to me that they wouldn't think that maybe there are people out there that would change tires on their trucks and maybe a few of those people would have 65psi tires vs. 80psi tires.

bpounds 09-10-2010 07:48 PM

Most load range E are 80 psi. What tire did you buy?

Nevermind, I see it in your sig. That is an E range 65 psi. Buyer beware I guess, which was the point I was trying to make.

admorris 09-10-2010 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 9315229)
Most load range E are 80 psi. What tire did you buy?

Nevermind, I see it in your sig. That is an E range 65 psi. Buyer beware I guess, which was the point I was trying to make.

Yea, not trying to bust your chops...I understood what you were saying. I just can't believe I am either stuck with 80psi car tires for my truck, or a damn warning light. Not everyone that owns an F350 tows 12k lbs or hauls 4k lbs in the bed. I'm really hoping there is a workaround for this, as I cannot possibly be the only one who has replaced those go-kart tires for mud tires.

admorris 09-10-2010 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by boulderbronco (Post 9311588)

Hey, the earlier comment I made about running any pressure you want was actually wrong. The tpms will freak out on anything that is 25% below the preset limit (80psi on the rear of the 350, 65psi on the front)- really really annoying if you ask me. If you find something different or a way around it please please please let me know.

Rick Cargo 09-10-2010 09:31 PM

I talked to a ford service advisor today about a re-flash and the low tire pressure warning and he said that these sensors will send an alarm at any pressure under 55 psi. because these tires are rating for a minimum of 65psi. and max of 80psi. I had the warning this week when a tire got 54.5 psi. He also said that if you get after market tires and rims you need to use the sensor valve stems or stare at the low pressure tire light indicator. Or put a piece of tape over the light. Thats what Rancho Ford said.

admorris 09-10-2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Cargo (Post 9315679)
I talked to a ford service advisor today about a re-flash and the low tire pressure warning and he said that these sensors will send an alarm at any pressure under 55 psi. because these tires are rating for a minimum of 65psi. and max of 80psi. I had the warning this week when a tire got 54.5 psi. He also said that if you get after market tires and rims you need to use the sensor valve stems or stare at the low pressure tire light indicator. Or put a piece of tape over the light. Thats what Rancho Ford said.

Hey Rick, I would be ok with 55psi, but I'm getting light at anything under 62psi. From what I understand, the tpms comes on for any pressure 25% below the Ford specs (65 front, 80 rear) which would be 60 rear and 48.75 front. Are you saying that anything under 55 all the way around is what is needed to throw off code?