Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   No Oil Pressure and Engine Knocking. Help please! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/988011-no-oil-pressure-and-engine-knocking-help-please.html)

spiffySMR 08-31-2010 10:45 PM

No Oil Pressure and Engine Knocking. Help please!

I have a 2003 F150 Heritage Edition 5.4L Triton V8 4WD with 70K miles. Changed oil like I routinely do with Pennzoil 5W20 1 week ago. Has been running great and ran great yesterday til I parked and shut off truck to run inside for a few minutes. When I came back and started the truck immediately had engine chattering/knocking and no oil pressure. There are no leaks anywhere. Checked the dipstick and dipstick was wet. Oil looked fine and clean. Changed oil and used different filter (thought maybe bad filter?) and still no change. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Johnny Langton 09-01-2010 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by spiffySMR (Post 9280613)
I have a 2003 F150 Heritage Edition 5.4L Triton V8 4WD with 70K miles. Changed oil like I routinely do with Pennzoil 5W20 1 week ago. Has been running great and ran great yesterday til I parked and shut off truck to run inside for a few minutes. When I came back and started the truck immediately had engine chattering/knocking and no oil pressure. There are no leaks anywhere. Checked the dipstick and dipstick was wet. Oil looked fine and clean. Changed oil and used different filter (thought maybe bad filter?) and still no change. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Sounds like the oil pickup tube is clogged with something. I've seen timing chain guides worn, and the nylon shaved off of them and of course that can clog the pickup tube. Can you get a borescope into the pan after you drain pan and look at the tube? There's something either restricting the tube, or you have another issue like that.
JL

spiffySMR 09-01-2010 06:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! Having someone check it out and hope it will be something kind of simple like that versus anything else. Appreciate your help! :-wink

Greywolf 09-01-2010 06:40 PM

DROP THE PAN NOW!

Get in there and look it over, something is wild wrong - you know it.

It could be a clogged sump filter, or it could have a hole in the filter where the screen let go and junk got grabbed up by the snorkle - and rammed into the pump gears.

ZERO OIL PRESS is a clear sign of catastrophic engine failure. DON'T run it again without a disassemble.

WORD:
(Now this is an old story for ya, this happened around late 1977)

I knew a guy who bought an old surfer van that some joker dropped a 302 into (it was originally an I6 Econoline).
Because the pan drain ended up on top of and in the center of the crossmember, the oil was never changed. MEGASLUDGE built up in it, and one day on the way home from the bar (Senor) 'Hartley' experienced massive oil pressure failure.....
Enough "GUNK" had built up to cover the coarse screen on the oil pickup in the pan so that it could suck all it wanted without flow. Because the pump was mechanichally driven it persisted. The suction tore the wire screen out of the bottom of the pickup tube strainer and it instantly gulped a wad of sludge into the pump gears. QED: The gears stopped!

The drive shaft for that pump was a hexagonal shaft about 5/16's inch, and when we pulled it out it looked like a twisted piece of ornamental wrought iron suitable for any balcony in New Orleans....

55 f350 09-03-2010 03:47 AM

trade it in or get a rebuild ................. no pressure and a knock is bad , bad , ju-ju !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-X09

Moto Mel 09-05-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by spiffySMR (Post 9283416)
Thanks for the suggestion! Having someone check it out and hope it will be something kind of simple like that versus anything else. Appreciate your help! :-wink

No matter what you do it won't be simple or inexpensive. Check out Mr Pipelne's posts in the V10 forum. He had a similar problem and ended up replacing the engine. He posted a lot of pics of the old engine and it's worthwhile reading.

spiffySMR 09-07-2010 01:33 PM

Got a guy looking at it today and he's supposed to let me know the damage. Crossing my fingers but not getting hopes up either. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

LxMan1 09-08-2010 04:02 PM

Sometimes miracles do happen!! Best of luck to ya!!