Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Coolant test strips (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/986590-coolant-test-strips.html)

JReinert 08-27-2010 07:49 AM

Coolant test strips

I'm just a little over 13,000 miles on the truck and am getting a message every time I start the truck. It says "Check coolant additive level". After reading the owners manual I think I need rotunda #328-00008(antifreeze coolant ELC contamination kit). Does anybody know where I can get these test strips besides at the dealer? I would guess that these are not the average coolant test strips that can be had every where since this is a special coolant and different additives. Maybe if somebody finds these it could go in the tech folder for all to be had. It looks like this coolant is going to need a little more attention than the previous gold coolant. thank for your time, Jason

Rafiki2cu 08-27-2010 12:58 PM

I think you will have to to the dealer, but I did find this.<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Designed to replenish the corrosion inhibitors specific to Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant (VC-3-B) which may deplete with time between engine coolant change-out</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...ges/bullet.gif

</TD><TD>Use only as directed</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top> </TD><TD>- For use only in MY 2011 and forward diesel engine-equipped F-Series Super Duty installed with Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top> </TD><TD>- Do not use in any other vehicles or with any other type of engine coolant</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD><TD>Use the Antifreeze Coolant ELC Contamination Kit, Rotunda part number 328-00008, at the recommended intervals (every 15,000 miles/12 months) to determine if the Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant Revitalizer should be added</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD><TD>May be added up to two times over the life of the engine coolant</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

GMUGNIER 08-27-2010 01:00 PM

These strips are very common in big rigs - (I know I have several) - Try checking out your local Truck Pro, or NAPA - as well as looking at online sources.

JReinert 08-27-2010 01:02 PM

So I went to the local ford dealer to look for the test strips for the orange coolant and he talked to the diesel tech. He came back and said they don't use the rotunda part but rather use the strips from the local auto value. I then go to auto value and buy 50 strips for $25. I get home and figure out that the orange coolant is an acid organic technology coolant and that it takes a special test strip. There goes $25 for nothing. Anybody know where to get these?

shelbymustang 08-27-2010 01:18 PM

Take care of your coolant:

The coolant concentration should be maintained at 50/50 mix of Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine <nobr style="color: darkblue; font-weight: bold; font-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif;" id="itxt_nobr_11_0">Coolanthttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adT...lass_10x10.gif</nobr> VC-3-B (U.S.) / CVC-3-B
(Can.) or specification number WSS-M97B44-D and distilled water. The level of coolant should be maintained at the "COLD FILL" range
in the coolant reservoir. If you suspect any coolant system leaks or lack of cooling, pressure test the cooling system. Refer to your Owner
Guide for additional information.
�� Engine coolant system strength (carboxylates) should be checked and serviced at the mileage or equivalent hour intervals specified by the
vehicle's message center and maintenance schedule. Check coolant strength using the Rotunda Antifreeze Test Strip kit to determine if
additive is required (Rotunda Antifreeze Coolant ELC Contamination Kit# 328-00008). If the carboxylate strength is too low add one bottle
of Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant Revitalizer , VC-12 or equivalent. The coolant can be recharged with this additive up to
two times before the cooling system must be flushed and refilled – Do not add Supplemental Coolant Additive if flush & refill is required.

Recommend checking coolant anticorrosion strength. Check the anticorrosion strength (nitrite level) of the coolant using the Rotunda 3-Way HD Antifreeze Test Strip Kit part number 328-00001

you can order strip here Acustrip Antifreeze Coolant Test Products

Rafiki2cu 08-27-2010 01:19 PM

I called my ford parts guy and he said they don't stock them, there sevice dept. orders from some outside source. He is checking to see where I can get some for the 6.7.

Rafiki2cu 08-27-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by JReinert (Post 9264433)
I'm just a little over 13,000 miles on the truck and am getting a message every time I start the truck. It says "Check coolant additive level". After reading the owners manual I think I need rotunda #328-00008(antifreeze coolant ELC contamination kit). Does anybody know where I can get these test strips besides at the dealer? I would guess that these are not the average coolant test strips that can be had every where since this is a special coolant and different additives. Maybe if somebody finds these it could go in the tech folder for all to be had. It looks like this coolant is going to need a little more attention than the previous gold coolant. thank for your time, Jason

I talked to acustrip and they have a kit ct/s3 retail package for 5 bucks. You get 4 strips or you can order more. The kit comes with instructions.

Rafiki2cu 08-27-2010 01:59 PM

You can order on the phone if you want. Phone #973-299-8237

JReinert 08-27-2010 02:02 PM

I think we need rotunda #328-00008 and I didn't see any thing for that on the site acustrip.

Rafiki2cu 08-27-2010 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by JReinert (Post 9265437)
I think we need rotunda #328-00008 and I didn't see any thing for that on the site acustrip.

I asked for that part number and they said that to check the coolant additive you need the CT/S3 strips. They said they supply for Ford.

JReinert 08-27-2010 04:03 PM

thank you Rafiki2cu

Rafiki2cu 08-27-2010 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by JReinert (Post 9265764)
thank you Rafiki2cu

JReinert, were you able to get the test strips that you need.

ruschejj 08-27-2010 06:46 PM

I hope you find the source of your problem though I would take the position that it's your dealer service dept.'s problem and not your's to be spending money on.

Don't get me wrong, I just don't think you should have to be doing the legwork unless of course you just want to.

JReinert 08-27-2010 07:09 PM

I do all my maintence work so I would like to have some around, plus the manual says to check every 15000 miles. Maybe I wasn't clear to the parts dept. but I hope the tech's aren't using the average test strips to test the orange coolant. I guess the oat coolant needs something different. The strips I baught said right on the bottle that it was not to be used for organic acid technology coolant. I wish I would have read up a little more before I spent $25. I called acustrip this afternoon but they were closed.

JReinert 09-06-2010 12:49 PM

well I got the test strips and I don't think they are the right ones. The cts3 strips talk about motercraft gold coolant, we use specialty orange witch is an organic acid coolant. The other reason I think they are wrong is it is not reading any molybdate or nitrite. At 15000 miles the coolant can't be totally depleated of these inhibitors. I think I will have to try the dealer and have them order rotunda #328-00008.