Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   parking garage? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/985051-parking-garage.html)

AlaskanEx 08-22-2010 12:08 AM

parking garage?

so today i'm following a '01ish lincoln navigator into a downtown parking garage that i knew i'd be going to. so insted of driving my excursion which i knew would not fit i took the expedition thinking i'd be fine.

so as the navigator goes under the first hanging bar it clears by about 1" so i figure i'm fine right? wrong. i hit both roof rack cross bars on the yellow hanging bar. i stopped and tryed to back down the ramp but there was allready 2 cars behind me so i figured worst case i'd remove the cross bars once i got inside. luckly i did not have to since the rest of the garage is slightly higher then bar at the enterance.

my '98 4x4 is all stock except has 265/75 16 tires insted of 255/70's.

anyone else had an issue with getting your expy in garage's? i never thought i'd have that issue with a stock expy. i need to double check the height on the garages i guess insted of thinking the smaller truck will just be ok lol

boeamos 08-23-2010 08:10 PM

ya when my Expy was stock i wacked the lifting arm at Atlanta Aquarium but the rest was ok

97ExpGuy 08-23-2010 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx (Post 9245107)
so today i'm following a '01ish lincoln navigator into a downtown parking garage that i knew i'd be going to. so insted of driving my excursion which i knew would not fit i took the expedition thinking i'd be fine.

so as the navigator goes under the first hanging bar it clears by about 1" so i figure i'm fine right? wrong. i hit both roof rack cross bars on the yellow hanging bar. i stopped and tryed to back down the ramp but there was allready 2 cars behind me so i figured worst case i'd remove the cross bars once i got inside. luckly i did not have to since the rest of the garage is slightly higher then bar at the enterance.

my '98 4x4 is all stock except has 265/75 16 tires insted of 255/70's.

anyone else had an issue with getting your expy in garage's? i never thought i'd have that issue with a stock expy. i need to double check the height on the garages i guess insted of thinking the smaller truck will just be ok lol

They do sit fairly high. Mine actually sits higher than my dad's '99 Suburban 2500 4x4. I'm on either 265/75/17 or 265/70/17...can't remember. The roof rack doesn't exactly help the situation.

However, and this just may be me, I've always thought Navi tires looked a bit small. Maybe the stock tire was smaller than Expys?

AlaskanEx 08-23-2010 11:34 PM

far as i've seen they have 265/70 17s on all i have seen. but somthing i didnt think about is they have the air ride which would/could make them it alittle lower.

alwaysfords41 08-24-2010 07:35 AM

The Lincoln may have had air suspension, and the Navi tires may look smaller because the rims are bigger.

Totoro 08-25-2010 06:18 PM

Min clearance on my 03 is 6'6" (Spec is 77.6"). I think some of the 1st Gen Expys were a little taller 78.4 (2002) and some were shorter 76.6 (1999).

It also depends on how well they hang that clearance bar!!!

soundtransmission 08-26-2010 03:01 PM

One time I was pulling into a parking garage, late for a client meeting, and I barely knocked the maximum height bar (at 6'-2", I believe, maybe 6'-3"). Figuring that they hung the bar lower than what the garage could really take (because of numnuts like me), I went on in (plus, there were cars behind me). Sure enough, everytime I passed under a concrete beam, the car would get stuck -- not "stuck-stuck", but stuck snugly enough to where everytime I encountered a beam, I had to really lay on the gas pedal to jolt myself past it (the luggage rack was the culprit, so there was some give to it of course).

Here's the funny part (not at the time, though) -- after my meeting, I'm exiting the garage and drive up to the automatic teller to pay for parking. I pay the ticket, and the garage door opens in front me to let me out into the street. I start to go through the garage door BUT I had to go past one more concrete beam. I of course get suck, so I gun the pedal, get "unstuck", but the garage door (which must have been on a timer) closes on my hood as I'm exiting! The door goes back up when it senses that it had crushed something, and I drive out.

Long story short (I know, it's too late), I drove straight to 3 different body shops to get estimates, called my insurance company to tell them the story, and $2,500 later (picked up by the parking garage), I've got a new hood.

Moral of the story? If you touch the bar, in all liklihood your vehicle is too tall for the parking garage.

AlaskanEx 08-26-2010 05:15 PM

i was worried somthing like that may have happend. luckly it didnt! thats a really crappy story lol glad you got it all taken care of though.