Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   BYPASS FUEL SELECTOR SWITCH (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/985010-bypass-fuel-selector-switch.html)

Rick Wallace 08-21-2010 10:00 PM

BYPASS FUEL SELECTOR SWITCH

Any body ever bypassed the FSS and let fuel draw from both tanks? Of course with an E-lectric fuel pump,and would the gauge be correct/

oldkountryboy 08-21-2010 10:06 PM

not sure how easy that would be to do, but i know the gauge would not be able to display both tanks at the same time

if you wanted to add another fuel gauge then you could have one for front and one for rear

poocher pup 08-21-2010 10:11 PM

you would be only reading for which ever tank you have switch on as to fuel level. don't know what it would do if one tank was empty and other had fuel if it would suck air from empty tank.

Rick Wallace 08-21-2010 10:11 PM

Ill have the bed off soon to fix the pick up tubes and replace fuel lines so it will be fairly easy to get to,once im done I dont want to have fuel problems again

Festus Hagen 08-22-2010 10:20 AM

That would be the FSV (Fuel Selector Valve) not FSS (Fuel Shutoff Solenoid).

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

oreocreaming 08-22-2010 10:28 AM

if you draw off both tanks then your going to have some issues man. first, as stated your only going to be able to read off one tank. second, since you will be sucking more out of one tank then the other (it will never suck evenly) then when one tank runs out you will be sucking in air and that will get into your system. so its not worth the hassle. one think you could do ( i would if i were trying to get rid of the fsv) is remove the back tank, weld a bung to the front bottom side of the tank and weld a bung to the top passenger side of the front tank next to the pick-up setup. run a nipple and hose from the rear to the front with a ballvalve between the lines. you run just off the front tank, and when its empty just flip on the ball valve. it will fill your front tank and since its a smaller tank in the rear theres chance of overfilling. theres enough drop in there where it will drain the tank in about 10 min. you will just have to remove both caps so it doesnt get pressure in one and vacuum in the other. unless you run a second hose to it at the top of each tank for air transfer.

Rick Wallace 08-22-2010 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Festus Hagen (Post 9245948)
That would be the FSV (Fuel Selector Valve) not FSS (Fuel Shutoff Solenoid).

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Yea that thing

Rick Wallace 08-22-2010 12:52 PM

OK,,,X that idear,,,thanks

Dave Sponaugle 08-22-2010 10:41 PM

For the very small amount of problems the FSV gives, I would not think about trying to run without one.

No way to tell how much fuel you have left in both tanks, no way to direct which tank the fuel is sucking from or returning to without it.

The one on my 86 is getting very close to 500,000 miles, still work perfectly.