Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Engine Locked Up (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/982788-engine-locked-up.html)

laloacosta 08-14-2010 11:14 AM

Engine Locked Up

2004 F350 6.0 Powerstroke

I started off having a struggling crank. It turned out that the pulley on my ac compressor froze. So I replaced it and sure enough got a strong crank.

In order to get to the ac compressor i took off the radiator, shrode, fan, etc.

Well I fired it up. It took awhile but it finally fired up. Then I saw a oil leak and heard a screacing noise. I replaced the HPOP.

I then hooked up the radiator and fired it up again. The oil leak stopped but the noise came back. I turned off the engine and now the crank is locked up. I tried to crank it again but it won't turn.

I don't know if it is hydro locked or internally locked up. I didn't have any engine coolant because I drained it to take off the radiator. Could that be my problem, how can I unlock it if it is hydro locked.

I have taken off the glow plugs and tried to turn it by hand but it is still locked.

HELP PLEASE!

SteveBricks 08-14-2010 01:22 PM

How long was the motor running without any coolant in it?

laloacosta 08-14-2010 01:29 PM

About thirty seconds then I heard that noise. I fired it up twice and both times in about thirty seconds it made that noise. After that it locked up

cheezit 08-14-2010 02:48 PM

is the belt on it still. if so take the belt off and turn it over by hand.

also please varify whay part you replaced that was leaking oil.
you say the high pressure pump. that is located behind / under the turbocharger.
also please varify were you saw oil leaking from.

to un hydro lock an engine you need to remove all glowplugs

laloacosta 08-16-2010 06:50 AM

The belt is off. I replaced the HOOP under the turbo. I as an oil leak on top of the manifold so I assumed it was the HOOP. When I try to turn it I can't. I already took off all the glow plugs and it is still locked. I'm wondering if I have to replace the engine.

DSMMH 08-16-2010 07:11 AM

LPOP?

The only other thing I can think of that would make a noise approximately 30 seconds after start with the belt off is the low pressure oil pump.

Did you have normal oil pressure when it ran for 30 seconds?

Sounds like the LPOP has lost suction for some reason. If it did and the motor locked, then your motor is probably toast.

DSMMH

dchamberlain 08-16-2010 08:27 AM

The motor can't run without a functioning LPOP. At least not longer than it takes to deplete the oil in the HPOP reservoir. Once that's gone, there is no oil to fire the injectors. I don't know how long that'd be, but I'd guess it'd less than a few seconds.

However I agree. If he has all the belts off and can't turn the engine with the "big socket on the front of the crank pulley" method, his engine is screwed.

joe blow 08-16-2010 10:21 AM

30 seconds with no coolant....no problem. 30 seconds without oil pressure in a motor that produces so much heat is a big problem......I hope not but it could be your motor is jacked.

If you have already removed the glow plugs and tried to manually crank it over and it won't......it might be some very bad news for you

laloacosta 08-16-2010 05:17 PM

Yeah I'm planning on buying an engine. I came across a place called backwater engines. They have a long block for $4000 with a two year warranty.

Any suggestions?

joe blow 08-16-2010 05:27 PM

That is a bummer buddy....

cheezit 08-16-2010 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by DSMMH (Post 9223423)
The only other thing I can think of that would make a noise approximately 30 seconds after start with the belt off is the low pressure oil pump.

Did you have normal oil pressure when it ran for 30 seconds?

Sounds like the LPOP has lost suction for some reason. If it did and the motor locked, then your motor is probably toast.

DSMMH

Im thinking the op may have droped a bolt down in the intake port. or soemthing along those lines.