Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Draining the fuel/water separator on an '03 6.0 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/982385-draining-the-fuel-water-separator-on-an-03-6-0-a.html)

thralkhan 08-12-2010 06:16 PM

Draining the fuel/water separator on an '03 6.0

Ok, silly newbie question, but I'm having a hard time finding the info I need. I have a 2003 F250 6.0l Lariat Crew. It's getting time for me to drain the fuel/water separator, but I don't know where it is.

My Haynes is very vague stating there's a drain hose under the truck. Someone else said the separator is located under the driver's door and to use a hex to remove the plug and drain it entirely.

First, where is it?
Second, is there a plug I remove and let it all drain, or a valve I open until fuel starts coming out?
Anything else I might need to know?

Thanks!!!

sammy77 08-12-2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by thralkhan (Post 9212390)
Ok, silly newbie question, but I'm having a hard time finding the info I need. I have a 2003 F250 6.0l Lariat Crew. It's getting time for me to drain the fuel/water separator, but I don't know where it is.

My Haynes is very vague stating there's a drain hose under the truck. Someone else said the separator is located under the driver's door and to use a hex to remove the plug and drain it entirely.

First, where is it?
Second, is there a plug I remove and let it all drain, or a valve I open until fuel starts coming out?
Anything else I might need to know?

Thanks!!!

Its on the frame(left side) Just behind the primary Fuel filter. Its a 6mm plug. Be advised they have a tendancy strip.

sandmanf250 08-12-2010 08:28 PM

this can be a problem to the uninformed public. if you slide under your truck on the drivers side you will see the filter hous ing in the frame rail.it has a 6mm allen head plug in a pot metal housing. a possible problem because the whole setup is potmetal and requires very gentle
handling as it will strip out in an instant if you try to force any thing. the easiest. way i found was to take the whole unit off the truck and put it on the bench.after a long soaking with p-b blaster i still stripped that stupid pot metal . so with a chisel and some delicate hammering i was able to get the plug out replaced it with brass unit sold on this website.take the time to clean the water in fuel section . if you have a 4 x 4 drop the front driveshaft as it makes it easier.

sammy77 08-12-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by sandmanf250 (Post 9212875)
this can be a problem to the uninformed public. if you slide under your truck on the drivers side you will see the filter hous ing in the frame rail.it has a 6mm allen head plug in a pot metal housing. a possible problem because the whole setup is potmetal and requires very gentle
handling as it will strip out in an instant if you try to force any thing. the easiest. way i found was to take the whole unit off the truck and put it on the bench.after a long soaking with p-b blaster i still stripped that stupid pot metal . so with a chisel and some delicate hammering i was able to get the plug out replaced it with brass unit sold on this website.take the time to clean the water in fuel section . if you have a 4 x 4 drop the front driveshaft as it makes it easier.

I wasn't so lucky. I ended up replacing the cover and installed the updated plug :-drink

thralkhan 08-13-2010 05:13 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Could someone post the link or tell me where to get the brass plug?

Thanks.

sammy77 08-13-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by thralkhan (Post 9213788)
Thanks for the responses.

Could someone post the link or tell me where to get the brass plug?

Thanks.

Here you go... www.partsguyed.com

thralkhan 08-14-2010 02:43 PM

awesome, thanks for the link!

Ok, here's another question, a little off-topic.

Does anyone where to get a large capacity oil drain pan? I've only seen up to 15 quarts, and then Blitz has a 58 quart.

I'd like to find something like 20 qts, that I can close up and transport for draining. Any suggestions? Getting one at 15 qts is cutting it a little too close for me.

Thanks

snakeside 08-17-2010 02:18 AM

I would take the sensor out and clean the pathways or replace it, u should also replace both fuel filters at the same time

jim6liter 08-17-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by thralkhan (Post 9218284)
awesome, thanks for the link!

Ok, here's another question, a little off-topic.

Does anyone where to get a large capacity oil drain pan? I've only seen up to 15 quarts, and then Blitz has a 58 quart.

I'd like to find something like 20 qts, that I can close up and transport for draining. Any suggestions? Getting one at 15 qts is cutting it a little too close for me.

Thanks

I use an old 5 gallon gas jug.With the Fumoto valve,oil change is a snap.

thralkhan 08-18-2010 08:06 AM

Fumoto valve? What's that? (edit: I just looked it up. I think I'll order one myself...looks like the F111N)

Another question on draining the fuel/water separator; how much fuel/water can I expect to drain? I just want to make sure I have the right size container. I'm not sure if I should use a mason jar or an old 1 gallon fuel tank.

Thanks

jim6liter 08-18-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by thralkhan (Post 9231366)
Fumoto valve? What's that? (edit: I just looked it up. I think I'll order one myself...looks like the F111N)

Another question on draining the fuel/water separator; how much fuel/water can I expect to drain? I just want to make sure I have the right size container. I'm not sure if I should use a mason jar or an old 1 gallon fuel tank.

Thanks

I cut the top off a two liter bottle.If you cut it right it will fit right up there and will catch all fluid.