Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum61/)
-   -   Blower Motor Relay Location (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/979163-blower-motor-relay-location.html)

CABGx3 08-01-2010 05:15 PM

Blower Motor Relay Location

Hi All......
1989 E150 Club Wagon, 5.0, EFI, Autotrans, 61kmiles.

Blower motor acting up.....sometimes on, sometimes off......mostly off now. For a while there whenever I would accelerate heavily, the Blower Motor would cut off, and when I leveled out in speed, it would come back on. I'm thinking maybe the thermal cutout in the Blower Motor Resistor Assembly.....but I also want to check the Blower Motor Relay, which I find on the schematic but have no clue where it is on the Van........can anyone tell me please? Also, it must go by another name because I can't find it listed in any of the parts stores.

TIA
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

projectSHO89 08-02-2010 05:43 AM

Your symptoms are of worn out brushes in the blower motor.

CABGx3 08-02-2010 08:14 AM

Thanks for your input, but I still want to know where the Blower Motor Relay is located, and what it's official name is at the parts stores..........I can't seem to find out.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

projectSHO89 08-02-2010 05:24 PM

Suit your self. You can choose to fix it easily or to wander around in the heat and wonder where the relay is at.

CABGx3 08-04-2010 10:03 AM

Hi All.......
I ran across some kind folks in another thread that were able to answer my question about the location of the Blower Motor Relay, so decided to share the information here.

The Relay is attached to the sheetmetal that supports the Radiator and is located kinda between the Radiator and the Battery.....right next to the Voltage Regulator. It's VERY hard to see and get at......will probably have to remove the Battery to access it. Apparently it has at least one failure mode that will also take out the vehicle's Battery, (and may be the cause of what made mine go bad).

As for the Name of the relay.....that's not real clear. The Schematic calls it the "Blower Motor Relay". Others reference to it as the "Blower Relay", or "AC Relay", or "Power Relay", etc etc. It has a metal enclosure, about 1" x 2", 3 electrical connections, and a metal bracket attached that mounts it with two holes. AdvanceAuto has it for about $13 as BWD Relay, Part# P250P.

Relay by BWD - Part R250P - Advance Auto Parts___

Hope this helps someone looking for similar info.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

jevfro 03-27-2011 02:52 AM

thanks!

You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find such a piece of info. Thanks!

CABGx3 03-27-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by jevfro (Post 10144400)
You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find such a piece of info. Thanks!

You're welcome......it was difficult for me to find also, so that's why I decided to share the info.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

jevfro 03-28-2011 01:43 AM

blower motor brushes

Just wanted to say thanks again for helping me find that relay. After testing it I found it is not the issue and blower motor brushes were the culprit... Looks like projectSHO89 knows his blower motors! I wish they made those a little more serviceable. I ended up cracking the motor open and soldering some replacement brushes from a drill on so I could have heat until I get a new motor unit. Does anybody know if there are after-market units with replaceable brushes? Thanks

Reed 07-02-2012 04:29 PM

I found this thread while troubleshooting the same problem on my 89 E-150. Thanks for posting this!

pathfinder4x4 01-09-2024 05:24 PM

Thanks for that info!!! Spent all afternoon looking for that damn thing! Sun's gone down so I'll have to get it 1st thing before the snow moves in tomorrow. CO Rockies, no garage.