Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mississippi Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum215/)
-   -   HOT August B/S Thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/979092-hot-august-b-s-thread.html)

BarryMc 08-01-2010 01:09 PM

HOT August B/S Thread

Hot enough for everyone? :-fire
I know it's dang hot here, Thought I wanted to go to the shop today and piddle around, but deceided to stay at the house in the A/C :D
My wife was outside this morning watering flowers, disturbed a yellow jacket nest, in a split second they stung her four times on the legs, now she's in the house taking it easy waiting on her legs to swell, will have to keep an eye on them. Ya'll have a good one.

sddesigns 08-01-2010 04:36 PM

Good afternoon MS!

yellow jackets are just plain mean!

oldfordcoupe 08-02-2010 11:57 AM

and the only time to get them back is at night

sddesigns 08-02-2010 01:58 PM

late evening, just before dark!

CHIEFEAVES 08-02-2010 05:32 PM

Sorry to hear about the yellow jackets. Pray she is OK. My son reminded me the other day about years ago, I was cutting hay and went over them. Needless to say I left the tractor, was fortune enough to reduce the throttle before I jumped off. They sounded like bullets hitting the hood of the tractor. Don't get me wrong, they got their share of licks on me also, boy do they hurt on the back of the head and on the ankle. Harley

f1504x4driver 08-02-2010 06:56 PM

sorry to hear about the MS. Hope all goes well.

BarryMc 08-02-2010 09:17 PM

Thanks guys, she's going to the Doctor tomorrow morning, leg is really swollen, she is definitely allergic to them.

redwood 08-04-2010 09:33 AM

coke bottle-----gasoline-------no more yellow jackets.....

I got tagged by a couple moving some of my tractor implements a couple weeks ago. I'm not allergic, but it sure hurts like hell. My wife is extremely allergic to them, though.

I hope the Mrs gets to feeling better.....

BarryMc 08-04-2010 04:42 PM

She's better, went to the Dr. got some shots, got a couple of scripts and some EpiPens, one for home and one for work, I would hate to think if she got stung in the throat or face area, I guess that's what the EpiPens are for, Dr. told her next time she gets stung just stab the EpiPens straight through the pants into the leg, then she should be okay.

CHIEFEAVES 08-04-2010 06:06 PM

Tell the Doc it is to tell someone to stab through the pants, but believe me I taught chemical and nerve agents while on duty. I never got the nerve to demonstrate the automatic injection the army issued. It was to automatic inject when you slapped the leg, and I guess I would have been able to go through with it if an infection area. My prayer is don't get into some more where she will be exposed. Harley

BarryMc 08-04-2010 06:38 PM

Thanks Harley, We have alot of those BIG red wasps around here, yesterday I used a whole can of spray on a hidden nest, I bet I killed at least 50 of them and that was the ones that tried to fly out, don't know how many died that I couldn't see. Got another one in my shop that I'm gonna raid this weekend. I'm gonna get that yellow jacket hole while I'm at it.

f1504x4driver 08-04-2010 07:01 PM

Hope you never need the epipen. My son had one years ago and it expired, Dr told me to push it against the door frame so it would "fire" and then cap it and dispose of it. Well, I did and had to get a claw hammer to get the damn thing out of the wooden frame. I would hate to have to use one on a person, gotta hurt.

BarryMc 08-04-2010 07:10 PM

This happened in 06, the last time she got stung.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../waspsting.jpg

f1504x4driver 08-04-2010 07:44 PM

That would certainly qualify as a severe reaction.

CHIEFEAVES 08-04-2010 08:39 PM

Barry, I have used gasoline on them before. The best time I found was just before dark. Use a gas can that has a spout and ease up and stick the spout down in the hole. Do not light the gas just let it soak in. I think the fumes is what does them in. I dug one up that I had done and there were 4or 5 cones (similar to honey cone) stacked on top of each other about the size of a 5 gal bucket. Just be careful. Harley.