Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Colorado Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum81/)
-   -   New Toy (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/974646-new-toy.html)

rikfish 07-16-2010 10:41 PM

New Toy

I am now the owner of a 1968 Mustang Coupe. Car appears to be in pretty good condition, considering it is 42 years old. Body is straight, entire front suspension was rebuilt by previous owner. Engine is weak, I'll have to check it out to see if it needs a build. It's a 200 C.I. L6, 3 speed manual. No A/C, just a bare bones Stang. Drove it home about 50 miles or so ( Canon City to Pueblo), other than loose steering and a brake pull to the right it did ok. Interior needs to be redone as well. I think I got a good deal for $2500.

ceetwarrior 07-17-2010 11:43 AM

Cool, got any pics?

rikfish 07-17-2010 09:55 PM

Check my album for a couple of pictures. I'll get some more up in the near future. Dog is demanding I take her out for a walk!

Worked on the car today, it has very little power, even for a 200. Found a lot of things a previous owner has changed, such as wiring the choke open, messing with the vacuum lines, etc. Trying to figure out the distributor advance as well. Dual diaphragm, no centrifical advance. I checked the plugs this morning, found 2 loose. All looked pretty clean, with the exception of #1 had a small amount of oil fouling, but it was one of the loose ones. The air cleaner appears to be a problem as it is a solid top, no opening for air! Removed it, tried a run around the block and gained a lot of power. I will do a compression check soon, too hot outside to spend much time (103 today) working.

I am going to a meet in the morning with the Southern Colorado Mustang Club. Hope to get introduced to some other early 200 owners. They're having a run up to Salida then a picnic. I have no plates yet, plus I am not real convinced the car is ready for any long drives!

Hypoid 09-11-2010 07:43 PM

Pretty cool Rick! Any updates?

rikfish 09-12-2010 05:24 PM

Not too much progress yet. Limited budget, as well as a very busy time with my work schedule. (State Fair, next Chile & Frijole Fest) Working mostly on the interior right now, but need to work front brakes as RF wheel cylinder leaks and it pulls pretty hard! Have made some exciting right turns a few times!!! Trying to decide which way to go engine-wise. It has the 200-6, which is soooo underpowered, or maybe toss a small block in. A lot of changes need to be made to accommodate a small block though.

jthorngate3 09-16-2010 12:08 PM

Very nice pick up Rik! Good luck with all the work. Should be a lot of fun once it's all done up nice. Congrats.

Hey Hypoid, any luck selling your unibody?

rikfish 10-03-2010 11:10 PM

Update on money pit. This weekend I installed new carpet, kick panels, sill plates, and 15" Grant wood steering wheel, and a chrome air cleaner. Not a lot of progress, trying to keep spending in check right now. Next to put in new upholstery front and rear, then on to dash replacement/repair, along with new weather stripping all around. Want to get the interior pretty well done before I start on body, motor, and brakes.

I hate to say it, but this was the first time I REALLY looked under the car. Found a previous owner had repaired a rotten out floor pan on the drivers side. Not a great job, but it will do for now. Otherwise, underside looks pretty good. Also found a previous owner must have modified the shifter or had a different tranny as the tunnel has been cut out somewhat.