Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   1996 F250 460 baseline dyno results and head porting info-RESULTS ARE IN! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/972149-1996-f250-460-baseline-dyno-results-and-head-porting-info-results-are-in.html)

DIYiT 02-07-2013 07:57 AM

What is your ECU going to be like? I'm planning on bolting on my Vortech with the stock 5 psi pulley and using the supplied FMU, timing controls, etc, but long term, I'm planning on going with a MegaSquirt ECU and getting rid of the extra timing controls, FMU, etc and using only the MegaSquirt.

I don't know where you're at in your development of your kit (specifically the ECU), but the guys at DIY Auto Tune have a MicroSquirt PNP (pre assembled Megasquirt as a Plug-and-play unit) for the 86-93 Mustangs. Since it's common for us to look for the A9L computers out of those years of Mustangs because of the relative ease of dropping them into our trucks, it may not be too much for the guys at DIY Auto Tune to build a PNP unit for the F Series trucks. If it helps you guys get your kit put together, it may be worth looking at since there's a fairly large support base for experienced users of MegaSquirt, and the additional functionality that the MegaSquirt platform allows for is hard to ignore.

Boport 02-07-2013 01:25 PM

This IS a squirt based unit, and quality wise is going to be OEM or better quality. The trans is a little snag, I'd l;ike to offer a kit with trans control as well but for now we are just doing an engine piggy-back. Thanks again for the lead, my friend that picked up the kit is building the first prototype ECU and from there production will likely be handled by Stinger Performance's P.I.M.P line of ECU's. Again, the guy that actually builds/tests these usits was a lead EFI developer for Roush-Yates's EFI cup program....everyone involved with this knows their *****! We will back it up with dyno results...give me a couple months and we will be 500-600 wheel on pump gas, plug and play. CNC'd heads, likely intercooler kit and much more to come. Tahnks again for that lead on this kit.... the mounting plate was the missing link the FMU, pump, BTM and other crap are wasted money that are still far from optimal means of tuning. Get a good fuel pump like a Bosch 044 inline, 50# injectors and a plug & play ECU.....done.

DIYiT 02-07-2013 01:42 PM

That's cool that it's MegaSquirt based. Once you get things running I may have to hit you up for some tuning help.

You might want to check out this. Both the Megasquirt and Microsquirt units along with the GPIO board have been used successfully as transmission controllers on the GM 4L80E and related transmissions. I've tried to do some research on the system, but I can't find that anybody has actually taken the time to map out the shift process of the E4OD and translate it to the Megasquirt system although it should be perfectly capable of handling it. The GPIO board can drive up to 8 shift solenoids if I remember correctly with a few of them being PWM'd if needed. This leaves plenty of room for shift solenoids and TCC lockup. The nice thing is it would run over the CAN bus back to the main ECU unit so only a few wires would be needed and all the trans info could be directly read by the ECU.

Boport 02-07-2013 06:18 PM

I think you and my guy need to talk, I think you are both on the same page and any info to bounce off one another would expedite this for everyone.

DIYiT 02-07-2013 07:10 PM

I'd love to talk sometime. I don't think I've got the experience, time, space, or tools that you and your guy do, and all of my work is slow going since its only a weekend or two a month that I get home to work on it, but I'd be willing to help any way I can.

Deerediesel 02-17-2013 09:47 PM

I am stoked to see the direction this is heading. I think a modernized kit of the 7.5L vortec will be freakin awesome.I have a complete OBD2 mass air kit with FEZ3 pcm for my truck, but I would bet your system will blow that set up away once you get the kinks out.....only reason I picked it up was because like many others- I have the E4OD.... Keep up the work this is gonna be a good finished product from the looks of it.

Boport 02-21-2013 02:50 AM

Threw blue top 24# injectors in today for fun, it was fun until about 2500rpm :) We are on it still, thanks for the support. :)

85lebaront2 02-21-2013 07:44 AM

I could swear that 24# are stock for the 460. I know my 1990 EFI setup has 24# blue top injectors.

DIYiT 02-21-2013 08:34 AM

24# are stock for the 460.

Deerediesel 02-21-2013 09:33 PM

Yeah my '97 460 had 26# injectors from the factory. So that swhat i put back whe n I rebuilt the engine, wish I had bumped up to at least a 30-32#. I have a BBK adjustable FPR set at 46 psi, I just recently put a 255 lph pump in the rear tank-- I can already tell a difference after half throttle. I see a lot of guys on here and 460Ford.com are running 40-42# injectors naturally aspirated.
Unrelated -- I also put in a new timing chain and set it 4* advanced at the CRANK- my fuel mileage has jumped from 9.5-10 to 13.5.... wish I had done that a long time ago

Blue Rebel 02-25-2013 11:41 PM

Subscribed! Dont own a 460, but great to hear what the stock parts are capable of!

eagle275 02-26-2013 01:00 AM

I'm in!!!:-X06

Nothing Special 02-27-2013 12:14 PM

Boport,

Sorry if I missed it, but did you say what mileage you were getting after the original head work? I think you said you were getting about 10 mpg stock. What did the origian work do to that?

7DF250 03-02-2013 10:29 PM

In! Regret selling my Vortech years ago. Are you planning on being smog legal for us (you) CA guys? I have been pestering every blower maker for years to make a 7.5 kit but they just say nope no $$ in it anymore.

I had a major set back when my 97 crew was stolen but I'll find another.

dcarnut1 04-08-2013 09:26 PM

Subscribed! I am doing some trade work for a vortech v-1 kit. It is currently installed in a 1991 Centurion. The bearings are gone, but I'm getting the kit in exchange for a tune up and ac work on the Centurion. It will be going on my 94 F250 Supercab. I currently have 190,000 miles on the motor, searching for a donor to build up to replace the existing. I am looking to do a build that will Smoke my old mans Duracrap, and Father in-laws Cummings. I can stay with them pulling my camp trailer on a 6% grade, cant wait to leave them behind.

I am really interested in the heads and ecu in the proposed kit. i have been toying with the idea of switching to MAF / SEFI, or Quarterhorse or Megasquirt for SD.

It is good to see some interest and innovation in the BBF! :-jammin