Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   2003 F350 6.0L diesel--replaced fuel pump, won't start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/971795-2003-f350-6-0l-diesel-replaced-fuel-pump-wont-start.html)

ShotgunSensei 07-06-2010 04:13 PM

2003 F350 6.0L diesel--replaced fuel pump, won't start

Was returning home to MN from an east coast road trip at the end of May, half-way home, just after refueling, the truck started showing sudden loss of power when starting out from a stop. It ran OK at highway speed, but would die out, re-catch, die-out and re-catch after exiting the freeway, and at speeds under 30 mph or so. Suspected bad fuel, so I changed the fuel filters in Louisville, and seemed to run fine 400 miles or so into northern IL, when symptoms showed up again after leaving the freeway. Nursed it along into central WI, when, just after refueling, it was much worse than ever. I couldn't reach freeway speed, then couldn't sustain 20 mph. Limped along the shoulder into the first exit, found the service station there permanently closed, so limped back up the freeway ramp onto I94. Within a few hundred yards it started working fine again, and we just kept her going the 250 miles to home. At that point, you could hear the fuel pump continually whine underneath the driver's seat, but power was fine.
Ordered a replacement pump (Ford original) and continued to drive the truck around the farm while waiting for the new pump, with minimal symptoms, other than the whine. Finally, the whine was louder on a restart, and it failed within a few minutes, and the truck wouldn't restart. Replaced the pump and filters a few days later when it arrived. Filters looked OK. Truck turns over lack mad--batteries are a month old-- but no ignition. Checked the secondary fuel filter, and the cup was full to within a 1/4" of the top. Can hear the pump quietly running at pre-ignition, so I suspect it is doing its job. Checked fuses, all OK. Disconnected the IGR sensor-- made no difference.
Any ideas?

Tom1122 08-03-2013 07:32 AM

Fn Ficom or HPO

Tom 08-03-2013 07:48 AM

Hi ShotgunSensei, welcome to FTE!

I'm moving this down to the 6.0L Powerstroke forum, the folks down there will be able to help you out. My first guess is that you got air in the system, but I'm hardly an expert.

texans 08-03-2013 08:14 PM

low fuel pressure (if that was your orginal problem), will damage injectors. Do you have any way to scan the truck that reads live pids, and check for codes? If so that's where you will need to start.

Restlesswildman 08-04-2013 12:47 AM

Scan Gauge 2 for the win!!! $160 at your nearest Auto Zone! Program the XGauges and report back with values of FICM voltage (will be listed as FMP and FLP), ICP#.

BTW does your LPOP register on the dash Gauge as you turn it over? If it isn't you need to investigate that! No Lpop pressure and it will not run!