Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   How do I replace freeze plugs... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/970979-how-do-i-replace-freeze-plugs.html)

marcograms 07-03-2010 09:36 AM

How do I replace freeze plugs...

How do I replace freeze plugs with engine in the truck or is this possible? I checked under my engine for accessibility and it looks pretty tight. Also, should I go with brass? I searched and read that some use brass with some type of sealant on them.

Blown 331 07-03-2010 10:28 AM

If you can get to them you can try using a punch along the edge of the plug. Hopefully that side will push into the block while the other side pushed out so you can grab it with pliers. I would use the brass plugs so you no longer have to worry about rust through. I usually put a slight coating of permatex non-hardening gasket sealer around the edge of the new ones and install them with a socket that fits inside the plug and hammer it in.
If you don't have enough access to do this in the truck you can always try a rubber one. I've never used one and I'm sure it's not as good as replacing the plug correctly but I'd say it could get you by for a little while until you can make the correct repair. You install the rubber one then turn the nut which expands the rubber until it seals against the block.
Dorman/Freeze Plug | Freeze Plug | 1977 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders H 5.8L 2BLModified OHV | AutoZone.com

MADFord4X4 07-03-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Blown 331 (Post 9069205)
If you can get to them you can try using a punch along the edge of the plug. Hopefully that side will push into the block while the other side pushed out so you can grab it with pliers. I would use the brass plugs so you no longer have to worry about rust through. I usually put a slight coating of permatex non-hardening gasket sealer around the edge of the new ones and install them with a socket that fits inside the plug and hammer it in.
If you don't have enough access to do this in the truck you can always try a rubber one. I've never used one and I'm sure it's not as good as replacing the plug correctly but I'd say it could get you by for a little while until you can make the correct repair. You install the rubber one then turn the nut which expands the rubber until it seals against the block.
Dorman/Freeze Plug | Freeze Plug | 1977 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders H 5.8L 2BLModified OHV | AutoZone.com

Blown 331 has the correct information. I would only use the expandable freeze plugs in an emergency. I used them and of course on a hot day in the middle of no where the one expandble freeze plug went.

The easist way is to pull the engine if you have the equipment and time, this way you are sure to get to all including the one in the rear of the block.(If you have one there)
If not then please follow the advice of Blown 331 and use the brass. Don't worry if you knock one in sideways get a pair of vise grips and gently force that thing out.
Hope this helps,
Mike

marcograms 07-03-2010 12:53 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I can get to the one that's leaking and I have the equipment and even though my wife disagrees, the time as well.:-roll So I'll yank the engine and do it properly. There are other things I would like to do anyway like check the bottom end and oil pump screen. I'll replace the oil pump gasket as well. I am just hoping I don't come out of remission from not knowing when to stop-itus.

Ace. 07-03-2010 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by marcograms (Post 9069494)
Thanks for the quick replies. I can get to the one that's leaking and I have the equipment and even though my wife disagrees, the time as well.:-roll So I'll yank the engine and do it properly. There are other things I would like to do anyway like check the bottom end and oil pump screen. I'll replace the oil pump gasket as well. I am just hoping I don't come out of remission from not knowing when to stop-itus.

don't forget your main seal while it's out! :-duel1

marcograms 07-04-2010 08:16 AM

thanks ace