Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oregon Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum190/)
-   -   Anyone work at Home Depot or Lowe's? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/969711-anyone-work-at-home-depot-or-lowes.html)

78_f800crewcab4x4 06-28-2010 08:05 PM

Anyone work at Home Depot or Lowe's?

Since I don't know anyone in Oregon, and badly want to move there:

Any of you guys work at a Home Depot or Lowe's?
I have applications out to all of the Oregon locations I could find, and could use a good word. Could I bribe with rep points, or possibly metal fabrication?:-X10

I should qualify with my construction/engineering and customer service background for any general customer service position. And, I should add, I am a very motivated person, and I wouldn't let your good word down.:-X0A6

Old93junk 06-28-2010 09:37 PM

Do not mean to be a downer, but Oregon's economy is severely depressed as of now, unemployment hovers at around 11%, the family wage wood products jobs that used to keep everyone well employed are long gone now. Most jobs here seem to be in service, retail, tourism and pay poorly, construction has taken a huge hit as well. There are niche jobs you can find if lucky, but the time it takes could be too long. If you are doing well in NV. I would stay there until Oregon pulls out of this recession (made worse by or state gov. politics)..........We once had a politician who said, "Oregonians get a extra paycheck just from our states natural beauty"........try covering the mortgage with that check.

78_f800crewcab4x4 06-29-2010 12:06 AM

Well I have been unemployed for 8 months, my home-building career is long gone too. The recession is severe here as well, I've been back and fourth between California and Nevada with no luck either way. My problem is the only people I know are now unemployed. I know Cali has a much worse economy, and will probably stay bad long after everyone else has recovered because of the liberal spending and high taxes alone. Las Vegas is not far behind.

fabmandelux 06-29-2010 08:53 AM

Try here, maybe it could help?

Employment Department Job Listings

FORD RANGER 06-29-2010 11:45 AM

the website is workinginoregon.org . there they have imatchskills. but their is only medical,corparate,etc. i have a degree in diesels and there isn't anything out there. and i have been out of work for almost 2 years. i have apps just about everywhere. including home depot and lowe's.

Old93junk 06-29-2010 04:22 PM

Temp agencies can offer a foot in the door at some places, but be warned.......most of the jobs handled by temp agencies are HORRIBLE and tend to be the type that people without visa's (illegals) accept.

FORD RANGER 06-29-2010 04:30 PM

i know and they get hired before you will.

78_f800crewcab4x4 06-29-2010 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Old93junk (Post 9055983)
Temp agencies can offer a foot in the door at some places, but be warned.......most of the jobs handled by temp agencies are HORRIBLE and tend to be the type that people without visa's (illegals) accept.

I know about temp agencies-I used to order temps around a jobsite scraping paint off of sidewalks and sweeping debris off streets during Las Vegas summers. Now it seems I'm competing with those same people for the same scarce jobs. My best friend already took his own life last month because he was earning 1/20th of what he had been earning. 110$ part time paychecks don't even cover food. Thank god my mother has a decent job and she can keep her home.

Old93junk 06-29-2010 06:56 PM

Ever think about Texas?............not much "natural splendor" there, hotter than hell, but thats where the jobs seem to be.....If I was younger, I would consider it. I have been to Cali, lived there 5 yrs in the service and after......you could not PAY me to move back! I love Oregon, its home, theres none better.......but its real hard to be a working guy here.

FORD RANGER 06-29-2010 06:59 PM

i've done it and its not fun.

fabmandelux 06-29-2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by FORD RANGER (Post 9055034)
the website is workinginoregon.org . there they have imatchskills. but their is only medical,corparate,etc. i have a degree in diesels and there isn't anything out there. and i have been out of work for almost 2 years. i have apps just about everywhere. including home depot and lowe's.

Here ya go Jack!

FORD RANGER 06-29-2010 08:57 PM

don i'm have been on umeployment every week. i know all about it. i have to put a job search in every week when i claim. you think i like it.... i really don't like it.

78_f800crewcab4x4 07-08-2010 07:11 PM

we will see... I have drove all of the way up here to Portland, and have gotten through an initial interview, with a second interview scheduled for the morning. This place is pretty awesome.

I think I am going to turn the Bronco into an expedition rig and do off-road tours, I have seen some 4x4 touring trucks driving around, and this could work...maybe.

Old93junk 07-08-2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 78_f800crewcab4x4 (Post 9087504)
we will see... I have drove all of the way up here to Portland, and have gotten through an initial interview, with a second interview scheduled for the morning. This place is pretty awesome.

I think I am going to turn the Bronco into an expedition rig and do off-road tours, I have seen some 4x4 touring trucks driving around, and this could work...maybe.

The tree-hugger enviro nazis will have a fit.........Lots of great off road areas are locked up here to save mosquito breeding habitat!
Much more off road friendly on the east side of the Cascades.
Hope your interview pans out after driving all the way to P-town.

Gage2502 07-19-2010 03:40 PM

I have been working at Lowe's for almost two years now, only part time cant find anything in Chicago. I too would like to move to Oregon or somewhere southwest, Chicago is really over rated. How are the taxes and housing prices there. Also would I have a problem registering my V10 there?
Thanks guys