Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum61/)
-   -   Rear AC on Econoline Conversion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/969278-rear-ac-on-econoline-conversion.html)

kontoboy 06-27-2010 10:10 AM

Rear AC on Econoline Conversion

Thanks to this forum for providing the information I needed to restore the rear AC in my 1999 E-150 Conversion Van.

I bought the van 3 months ago to replace my Aerostar that developed a warped head and was leaking coolant. It wasn't worth the trouble to repair.

When purchased the "Shaggin Wagon II" had weak AC at best. I noticed it was short cycling on the compressor and 24 oz of R134A had the front AC blowing cold with about 35 PSI on the low side and 200 on the high. (I haven't checked for leaks yet but will if it runs low again).

After re-charging and getting the front AC to work I moved to the rear. It has an aftermarket Evap/Heater/Blower assembly, and problem one was the blower was not working. No blown fuses up front so I pulled the rear panel and found the fan frozen and a rear fuse blown. Ufortunately the fan blades had been warped from heat and un-repairable but after a couple hours of searching I found a replacement at:

www.Action-ac.com

Ordered on Saturday, had it on Thursday, $112.

Note--I also found a site that carried a number of complete rear evap/heater coil/blower assemblies for conversion vans. I bookmarked it for future reference:

Welcome to ACC Climate Control

It was a single speed fan that was an exact replacement for the fan there.

With the fan in I fired it up and enjoyed the cold air blowing out the back, at least for a couple minutes before it started blowing warm air. After gaining some valuable insights from this forum and my head scratching I knew where to start checking. First, there was no vacuum controled air damper on my rear unit I assumed the heating coil and evap were stacked together. The AC lines were cold and sweating so I figured that hot water was still running to the heater coil and knew to check the vacuum controled water valve. I traced it back and found it on top of the bell-housing under the interior engine cowl.

Pulled it out and it was corroded inside and marginally functional. (Right after I bought the vehicle I flushed the cooling system and wasn't happy with all the crude I saw coming out.) Replacement was $15 at a local parts store.

All is now fine and blowing cold, even at idle in 90 degree weather.

Some observations--The fan I replaced was single speed--identical to what I pulled out. It was interesting to note that they sell an identical size 3 speed fan and my front switch is 3 speed. I'm wondering now if it would be a plug and play.

Also noted that my rear unit has its own AC high and low side charging ports. They are barely accessible buried under the rear interior panel forward of the rear evap. There are also what appear to be a couple AC coolant balancing valves underneath rear the left wheel well. I haven't touched either.

I know that recharging the AC may mean I have a refrigerant leak somewhere, so I may need at some point to open up the system. What I can't find is any info on the volumes of refrigerant and oil I'll need to recharge the system on with its non-factory rear unit. I'll probably start with the factory specs and see how it works.

Thanks again to the forum for the insights. This is now my go-tp place for tips and tricks on these vehicles.

Kontoboy

lsrx101 06-27-2010 08:53 PM

Good Job Dude!

If/when you need to charge the AC again the factory spec won't be of any use.
There may be a tag under the hood that calls out the amount of refrigerant used by the upfitter, I wouldn't hold my breath though.
You'll probably just have to "wing it".

kontoboy 06-27-2010 11:03 PM

The tag under the hood say R-134a but not the amount. I figure since it has a factory compressor, evap etc up front, and factory lines, the only difference would be the rear evap. So if I can find the factory volumes for a 1999 dual unit it should get me in the ball park.

krane operator 07-01-2010 11:24 PM

same thing with pops 96 e150 conversion van. The same heater valve was deteriorated and rear fan shot. His fan was a 4 speed original, but we found a 3 speed and used that. On his the plastic box was not removable without disconecting the rear ac lines, so we just cut out part of it to get to the fan and glued it back together .

kontoboy 07-02-2010 01:45 PM

Same deal on mine. The AC lines and heater hoses need to be disconnected to remove the evap and heater. Luckily the blower fan was removable with a couple screws on the accessible side and a metal slide in/out bracket on the other. Still, its a very cramped space to work in.

Ten hours so far on the road today with it--upper 80s outside, but in the Shaggin Wagon II the wife has a sweater on!

kontoboy 07-30-2010 12:00 PM

Update:

After a month the AC is still working fine, so despite having to ad refrigerant I don't beleive I have a significant leak anywhere.

Kontoboy

hhott71 08-02-2010 01:01 PM

The 3 speed dual shaft motors and blower wheels are available HERE
they also have heater valves, but so does every auto parts store. You can buy them locally easier than ordering them.

Most aftermarket rear AC/Heat systems take 16 oz extra freon above the single unit charge weight.

kontoboy 08-03-2010 09:13 AM

Thanks for the estimate on the rear refrigerant volume. Luckily I haven't had to add any refreigerant after adding in June. It is still running cold after 5-6 weeks and the short cycling hasn't returned.

Yes, I picked up the vacuum controlled coolant valve at a local parts store. The first store I visited was out of stock and second one carried it.

I didn't see a replacement 3 speed moter for my aftermarket rear blower at the link provided. I did see a replacement for the OEM front motor. The site I indicated in my original post has a 3 speed blower assembly (motor, fan, housing) with identical dimesions, but I don't know if it will plug into the existing wire harness and operate as a 3 speed (the dash switch for the rear is 3 speed. there is no rear control).

The aftermarket rear blower motor is a Bosch single shaft, about 3" in diameter. I bet I could find one with some looking, but it's really not worth the trouble. Single speed is fine for my needs.

knightwing4 10-20-2010 11:58 AM

I just got a 1999 Ford conversion. I was having a no heat problem in the back but the ac worked fine. I opened the bow and found out that he had removed the heater core. I got in touch with ACC Climate Control and they all of the parts you need for that rear unit. They are the ones who distribute it. I do have a question for you though. Where did you find that vacuum valve that turn off the hot water to the rear unit when you're running the ac. I want to make sure it's good. ACC Climate said that it's a ford part but as you know it can be hard to get under there to find it and was it hard to replace?

kontoboy 10-20-2010 03:33 PM

On my '99 E-150 conversion the rear heater vacuum control valve was right on top of the the torque convertor/bell housing. It is accessible by removiing the interior engine cowel. I found it by tracing the heater hoses back from the rear heat exchanger. It's black plastic with three hoses connected--two heater hoses and a smaller vacuum hose.

Kontoboy

pancake52 05-03-2016 07:00 PM

98 ford conversion van rear blower location?

thanks for help with this old thread. can someone point out where the rear blower should be located on a 1998 e 150 conversion van. I'm guessing its on the left side somewhere, but where?

my problem is the front a/c and heat with blower work fine but the rear blower 4 speed switch does nothing.

kontoboy 05-03-2016 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by pancake52 (Post 16257308)
thanks for help with this old thread. can someone point out where the rear blower should be located on a 1998 e 150 conversion van. I'm guessing its on the left side somewhere, but where?

my problem is the front a/c and heat with blower work fine but the rear blower 4 speed switch does nothing.

Rear blower is on the driver side behind the rear seat on my '99 E150 Conversion. You should be able to see the fan grill--cover comes off with several screws to reveal the blower and rear AC/heater unit.

I was able to find a replacement blower for mine several years and posted the source on this forum.

Kontoboy

commpdb 08-02-2019 02:08 PM

1995 Conversion Van

I also have a 1995 conversion van and need to remove the panel to get to the AC unit, any suggestions?

I do not see any screws or other securing material