Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   2007 Expy EL Tranny Maintenance? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/968485-2007-expy-el-tranny-maintenance.html)

mcbsff 06-24-2010 08:26 AM

2007 Expy EL Tranny Maintenance?

I just bought a used 07 Expy EL. 2WD, 36K miles. This will be my wife's DD - no harsh service. That being said, I tend to keep my vehicles a long time.
As it is new-to-me, I took it to the dealer for the 30K service. I specifically asked them to change the transmission fluid. I asked if they drop the pan and change the filter. They said there is no filter to change, just a screen. They just use their tranny flush machine.
When I picked it up, they said they did NOT service the transmission. They said the service interval for the transmission is 100K.
Anyone know if this is correct? Is this reasonable? I'll admit to being a little gunshy, as this is replacing an '02 Odyssey with the self-destructing tranny.

berry1234 06-24-2010 10:52 AM

It's in the manual. Yes, 100K for normal service, 60K for severe service.

They are completely wrong about the filter. It's part . 7L1Z7A098A. Call them and ask what this part number is for then? Morons.

Motorcraft FT171 FT-171 Transmission Filter Kit 06-09 - Appleton City - Bonanzle

mcbsff 06-24-2010 03:25 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I double-checked my manual, and searched online. I could not find anything that referred to a 100k maint interval on the tranny. Just belt, plugs, and coolant at 100k.

Before getting the service, I spoke with 2 Ford dealers, both said "we don't pull the pan, we just flush."

Either way, If it's 100k svc, I wont worry about whether they pull the pan or flush for another 60k!

berry1234 06-24-2010 03:26 PM

Yeah but them not pulling the pan worries me. It's not hard and is the right way to do it.

poppie 06-29-2010 06:23 PM

We flushed our 2007 Expy @ 44,000 miles,the book does say 100,000 miles but its my money and i believe in changing fluids,hard to believe a dealer would turn down service work $$$$$ .

RoyC 06-30-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 9038241)
Yeah but them not pulling the pan worries me. It's not hard and is the right way to do it.

Dropping the pan clearly is the old way of doing it, but it is not the correct way. A heated flush machine gets all of the old fluid out. This has been the standard for a number of years and for 230,000 miles this is the way my Excursion was serviced every 30K with absolutely with no issues.

berry1234 06-30-2010 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by RoyC (Post 9059828)
Dropping the pan clearly is the old way of doing it, but it is not the correct way. A heated flush machine gets all of the old fluid out. This has been the standard for a number of years and for 230,000 miles this is the way my Excursion was serviced every 30K with absolutely with no issues.

Standard by Jippy Lubes. Not changing the filters can have it's draw backs. Your just pushing anything the screen collected all through the system. It's easier to flush that's why places do them.

Tylus 06-30-2010 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 9059862)
Standard by Jippy Lubes. Not changing the filters can have it's draw backs. Your just pushing anything the screen collected all through the system. It's easier to flush that's why places do them.

most places don't change the filters anymore. they flush the tranny backwards with hot fluid.

there was a problem a few years back with some Fords and other vehicles that caused this newer trend. I know many Fords specifically had their factory filters replaced with a different one and that caused issues.

I'm with you on the need for a new filter. But in this day & age, most shops would rather do it the easier (read cheaper/faster) way than crawl under there and remove a pan and possibly have the gasket leak...not to mention the mess it makes. :-lamesign

berry1234 07-01-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 9060272)
most places don't change the filters anymore. they flush the tranny backwards with hot fluid.

there was a problem a few years back with some Fords and other vehicles that caused this newer trend. I know many Fords specifically had their factory filters replaced with a different one and that caused issues.

I'm with you on the need for a new filter. But in this day & age, most shops would rather do it the easier (read cheaper/faster) way than crawl under there and remove a pan and possibly have the gasket leak...not to mention the mess it makes. :-lamesign

I agree Tylus. While I see the value in exchanging all the fluid in the system, I don't see why they can't put a new $20 filter and drop the pan also.

RoyC 07-01-2010 10:58 AM

IF, the tranny has a filter, by all means, change it out as directed by service manual. However, many newer trannys do not have filters they have a screen. I the words of an ex Ford transmission design/testing engineer...if there is junk in the screen, get ready to rebuild the tranny.

berry1234 07-01-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by RoyC (Post 9062735)
IF, the tranny has a filter, by all means, change it out as directed by service manual. However, many newer trannys do not have filters they have a screen. I the words of an ex Ford transmission design/testing engineer...if there is junk in the screen, get ready to rebuild the tranny.

Yes, which our trannys do have- a filter. The tech was wrong in saying they do not.

And I agree, if you see chunks/junk in the filter, not good. But you wouldn't know this if the pan was never dropped.

I don't know if it would be optimum to drop pan, change filter then flush or vice versa.