Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   DTC codes P1209 & P1211 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/966869-dtc-codes-p1209-and-p1211.html)

ruttrowe63 06-18-2010 02:07 PM

DTC codes P1209 & P1211

I have a 2002 F250 7.3L with 238k that has been running normally until a couple of days ago. This truck has had routine maintenance since I bought it 2003 with 50k on it. At start up, the idle is all over the place, high then low, jerks and lunges when you put it in gear, it's not even drive worthy. I was getting it ready for a trip to the stealer for some recall issues, and before disconnecting the programmer it gave me DTC codes P1209 and P1211. Injector control pressure system? Anybody know where this thing is and can a somewhat savy amatuer repair/replace it?

I have a recall on the cam sensor and the speed control, but I haven't been in to get those fixed yet.
Are these possibly related to the recalls? Makes me want to....:-X13!!!!!!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Midland, TX

Action4478 06-18-2010 02:25 PM

From the manual :

KE15 CONTINUOUS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1211, P1209
DTC P1209 and P1211 indicates that injection control pressure was above or below desired level under normal driving conditions.
Possible causes:
incorrect oil or viscosity
poor oil quality
gel fuel/no fuel
low fuel pressure
damaged IPR valve
high-pressure oil system leak
damaged high-pressure oil pump
damaged PCM
Verify correct oil quality/viscosity and correct fuel grade are being used for the temperature conditions.

ruttrowe63 06-18-2010 02:40 PM

what is an IPR valve? PCM? I'm running Shell Rotella T 5w-40 full synthetic oil and it is in the cross hatches and fuel level is above 1/4 tank and I use Diesel Kleen gray in every tank

thanks, Steve

ruttrowe63 06-18-2010 02:42 PM

addition:

oil is at 2900 miles and I usually change at 6K

steve

Action4478 06-18-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ruttrowe63 (Post 9016936)
what is an IPR valve? PCM? I'm running Shell Rotella T 5w-40 full synthetic oil and it is in the cross hatches and fuel level is above 1/4 tank and I use Diesel Kleen gray in every tank

thanks, Steve

The IPR is what controls oil pressure to the injectors (injection pressure regulator)
the PCM is the Powertrain control module.. the brain that controls every thing ..On the drivers side head , right near the lifting ring , is the ICP sensor . Unplug it & look for oil seeping from it ..While it is unplugged , start the motor , see if it improves

cleatus12r 06-18-2010 05:15 PM

Unplug the Injection control pressure sensor. It's on the driver's side cylinder head between the high pressure oil pump and the engine lifting loop. 3 wires arranged in a round connector. If it runs better with it unplugged, there's your problem.

Check the tin nut on the back of the injection pressure regulator if the first suggestion doesn't work. It's on the back of the high pressure oil pump near the bottom of the pump facing backwards. If the nut is loose, you need to tighten it.

Action4478 06-18-2010 05:42 PM

3 wires arranged in a round connector. If it runs better with it unplugged, there's your problem.
It can still be the IPR...

ChunderDownUnder 06-18-2010 06:21 PM

Post #17 is the one you want

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-please-2.html

unplug the ICP and see if the idle improves. Also check for oil in the plug.

Action4478 06-18-2010 06:32 PM

What am I missing ?...

Hasn't it hasn't it been said 3 times

Go ahead , take it from here ...

Maybe we from the OBS forum should be as dis respectful when you try to help ...

F350-6 06-18-2010 06:33 PM

Sounds oil related to me too. A good place to start is unplugging the ICP connector and see if the idle smooths out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...184642.520.390

The problem is your IPR is opening and closing causing the up and down idle issue. Either the ICP circled above is feeding it false info making it act crazy, or the IPR has some junk in it or a torn o-ring or something that is making it act funny.

ruttrowe63 06-18-2010 10:42 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check it tomorrow and see what happens. Sure is nice to have experts that have been there and done that to get advice from.

kudos,

Steve

ruttrowe63 06-19-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 9017685)
Sounds oil related to me too. A good place to start is unplugging the ICP connector and see if the idle smooths out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...184642.520.390

The problem is your IPR is opening and closing causing the up and down idle issue. Either the ICP circled above is feeding it false info making it act crazy, or the IPR has some junk in it or a torn o-ring or something that is making it act funny.

Chris,

I pulled the connector off of the IPC sensor and it was soaked in oil. It still sounded rough
when I started it without the connector plugged in. I cleaned the connector off a little but could not get oil out of the connector ports. Plugged connector back in and it started the high low game again. Do you think I need to replace the IPC and connector? Do they sell those together?

Steve

Izzy351 06-19-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Action4478 (Post 9017682)
What am I missing ?...

Hasn't it hasn't it been said 3 times

Go ahead , take it from here ...

Maybe we from the OBS forum should be as dis respectful when you try to help ...

What am *I* missing? I see nothing in here disrespectful. :-huh

Originally Posted by ruttrowe63 (Post 9019592)
Chris,

I pulled the connector off of the IPC sensor and it was soaked in oil. It still sounded rough
when I started it without the connector plugged in. I cleaned the connector off a little but could not get oil out of the connector ports. Plugged connector back in and it started the high low game again. Do you think I need to replace the IPC and connector? Do they sell those together?

Steve

Replace the ICP & clean out the connector with electrical contact cleaner (like from RadioShack, etc.). Then try again. Looks like you found your issue, but as already said, I'd be checking the IPR too. The two work in conjunction with each other...

ruttrowe63 06-19-2010 03:10 PM

Joe,

I know you just love idiots like me, but where would I find the injection pressure regulator or IPR? A pic like Chris sent would be nice or maybe a general location from his pic. Can you buy an IPC or IPR at an auto parts store or is it a stealership item?

Steve

tdpower 06-19-2010 03:29 PM

Here is a good pic to help: labeledtopview1a.jpg picture by galexander - Photobucket