Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Peanut Oil Bio Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/965407-peanut-oil-bio-diesel.html)

TheTowingCowboy 06-13-2010 12:30 PM

Peanut Oil Bio Diesel

I have done some reading and they say Bio Diesel made of Peanut Oil will gell up below 60 degrees F. And one of my suppliers who will give me free oil, they use peanut oil. Well I would like to use it, and I got two questions.

One: Does anyone have a 'recipe' for making bio diesel out of used peanut oil

and

Two: Is there anything I can add to it (And other biodiesels) to keep it from geling? I assume mixing regular diesel with it would help but I like some DIY stuff better. I was wondering about adding some 'Power Service' to my batches once there done.

Thanks again guys, been really helpful.

Rushmore X 06-13-2010 12:35 PM

When the temp gets near the gel point of the BIO, most mix in petro diesel. Alot of us run 20% bio mix during the winter. I've also added diesel kleen to the mix when it gets in the single digits.

binuya 06-13-2010 01:36 PM

A couple years ago I had a restaurant that used peanut oil which I made into biodiesel. It was in very good condition with an average KOH titration of .5-1.0. It made great bio, but yes, it clouded at just under 60F, and would gel at just under 50F. But to answer your first question, the recipe is the same for peanut oil as it would be for any other wvo.

Aside from cutting it with pump #2, there's not anything out there I have heard of that will lower the gel point of biodiesel. I've 'heard' about some things in the works, but haven't seen any firsthand.

One thing that I have done however is a process called cold fractioning. What I did was to allow a drum of my bio to 'freeze', or gel up during one of the winter cold snaps. A few weeks later when the temps rose and the bio let go, I was left with some clearer bio on top which I pumped off and used, saving the gelled portion for later use in the warmer months. On average I would get 25%-30% of the clearer stuff off the top.

TheTowingCowboy 06-13-2010 02:07 PM

Okay so pretty much a mix of diesel and bio is what I want to do, to make a sort of 'Winter Bio' and thanks a million binuya, I will have to try that this winter. I really appreciate your guy's help.

Rushmore X 06-13-2010 02:10 PM

What some do is mix different percentages in sealed containers and leave outside when it starts to get cold. When 50% starts to gel, go to 40%...

TheTowingCowboy 06-13-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rushmore X (Post 8997708)
What some do is mix different percentages in sealed containers and leave outside when it starts to get cold. When 50% starts to gel, go to 40%...

Thats a really kick ace idea, I am so going to have to do that. Man I am excited to start making more bio.

Rushmore X 06-13-2010 02:37 PM

Not my idea to take credit for, just passing it along. There is a lot of info on this forum, hit the "search this forum" and you can about find the answer to any Bio-Diesel question.

TheTowingCowboy 06-13-2010 02:44 PM

If we can all handle a little humor my first search will be 'Biodiesel as personal lubricant' XD

Rushmore X 06-13-2010 02:48 PM

that could hurt, especially if there is methoxide left in there... :-fire

TheTowingCowboy 06-13-2010 02:49 PM

HAHAHA that it would... well it would make Trojans 'Warming Sensation' seem cold lol.

Brown Falcon 07-01-2010 11:07 AM

I know there is a product out there that will keep bio from gelling. Can't remember what it's called though.

The guy my dad get's his bio supplies from back in Oregon sells it and uses it in the winter.

I'll see if I can find it for you Jesse.

Brown Falcon 07-01-2010 11:11 AM

Try emailing these guys. My dad used to work at the fire department with him and he's been selling Bio equipment for a long time. He was the one with the anti-gel stuff.

Cascade Biodiesel - vegetable oil, greenfuels, alternative energy, home biodiesel, how to make biodiesel

cascadebiodiesel@live.com

TheTowingCowboy 07-01-2010 04:39 PM

Thank you Evan, really appreciate this. I been out int he fields working so havent had time to check on here. Really appreciate this.