Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum72/)
-   -   need proper sending unit for 38 gallon Spectre Fuel Tank (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/963873-need-proper-sending-unit-for-38-gallon-spectre-fuel-tank.html)

highoctane74 06-07-2010 05:38 PM

need proper sending unit for 38 gallon Spectre Fuel Tank

So I order this 38 Gallon Fuel tank for my 85 F350 460 4X4 to replace the little Rear one. I didn't have the box off yet to inspect the old one of course. AFTER I paint the new tank I remove the box from the truck to pull the sending unit and realize that the hole for the sending unit in the new tank is twice the size!

So down to the parts store I go to order the proper sending unit for the tank(figured may as well have a new one to put in the new tank now) and they tell me they dont have one to fit that tank! When I ordered it they told me the old sending unit just had to be lengthened and would fit. They phoned Spectre and they said they did not have one to fit that tank or didn't know who did, basicly sorry about my luck!!!

So hear I am with a new tank I can't use. I spent all day driving around to every parts store I could think of and nothing.

If anyone else has had this problem or knows something I'm missing please let me know. Thanks...

mac10guy 04-17-2011 09:11 PM

in my 1979 f250 some slup replaced the stock 19 gal with a 38 gal tank. unfourtunately theres no such thign as a 38 gal fuel sender for this tank. i onyl found out cause i had to replace the fuel sender which failed. i took it out and someone had cut the sender shaft and gasket makered a copper pipe on it. it was onlydiggin out 25 gallons of the 38. i ordered a new 19 gal sender. cut the shaft without cutti nthe wire. used neoprene fuel line to extend it about an inch are two with a more downward angle. tonly problum was the ground for the sender which was grounded out through the shaft. i ended up strippin a wire and usein pipeclamps on the shaft to hold the stripped ends of the wire(i really hope it holds) i have a mostly full tank now and my float is so much lower down that my gas gauge reads as full as it possibly can. (by that i mean the needle is pegged far as it can go to the right about a half inch past the F mark) my only concern is the way i gorund it is there a possability that the ground could spark when the tanks low enough that the theres vapors and cause an explosion?

LxMan1 04-17-2011 11:13 PM

How can they sell a tank when no sending unit is available? I'd send it back and tell them to shove it!!!

Maybe JCwhitney might have what you need as far as tanks go. They used to sell them.

majordad 06-23-2013 01:54 PM

highoctane74
were did you get your tank?.LMC has a 38gal with with kit for sending unit.BRONCO GRAVEYARD has a plastic 33gal with 33gal sending unit but it's for a bronco it may fit a pu have to call good luck jerry

Blackbetty1984 03-24-2017 12:18 PM

19 gallon tank to 38 gallon solution

what I did with the lmc truck fuel tank sending unit to fit the 38 gallon fuel tank is I found a stainless steel tube that goes over the fuel lift tube and had a good buddy at WyoTech weld the 6 inch extension into the tube now leaks works great added a extension for the wire and for the float I cut the rod in half and spliced a longer rod in but found a problem it was to heavy so I had to add a second float to beable to stay on top of the fuel it's taken a while to get it right but after everything I am confident that it will last my life time because it's already lasted 3 years and it's been on some pretty rough trails

Ol'Red1995 02-10-2021 03:13 PM

LMC Truck now makes the actual 38 gallon fuel sending unit. It can be found on their website:
https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-79-for...mount-gas-tank