Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Cigarette lighter install (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/962416-cigarette-lighter-install.html)

phurst 06-02-2010 03:17 PM

Cigarette lighter install

Ok, I'm going to keep asking questions and fixing things on my heap, uh I mean truck until I know enough to start contributing something useful.

While fixing my HVAC last night, I noticed there is a block off plate where the cigarette lighter would normally go. I don't need it to light cigarettes, but it would be nice to toss my old FM transmitter in there so I can listen to my iPod. I didn't see an empty plug for the cigarette lighter, but I have a hard time believing the wiring isn't already there. So, did I miss it, or will I have to splice it in somewhere?

On a completely unrelated note, my antenna is broken off. Do I have to remove the cowl to replace it?

newrider3 06-02-2010 05:31 PM

For the antenna, the mast itself screws into the baseplate on the cowl. As long as it isn't broken off inside the threads, you just have to screw it out.

Fordzilla80 06-02-2010 06:38 PM

I'm not entirely sure,but my options sheet from Ford lists the Cigar Lighter as a special option.But my brochure doesn't say anything about a Cigar lighter.Usually,these trucks were wired from factory to have the extra plugs for options,just not the harness and option.I've never seen a truck without a cigarette lighter,but then again i've never payed too close attention to ashtrays.Does your truck have an ashtray?

phurst 06-02-2010 06:44 PM

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t/HPIM6318.jpg

Fordzilla80 06-02-2010 06:53 PM

Interesting.Is the plate removable?There should be two wires that go to the lighter.I don't have the colors,but one wire should have a rubber boot,and the other should have a female spade connector on it.

phurst 06-02-2010 06:59 PM

Yes, the plate is removable.

So, a boot and a spade you say? Like the 2 wires I just noticed hanging out of the dash in the left of that picture? LOL :)

So, since there are specific connectors on the wires, I assume I need an actual Ford lighter, not one from the parts store?

Fordzilla80 06-02-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by phurst (Post 8958012)
Yes, the plate is removable.

So, a boot and a spade you say? Like the 2 wires I just noticed hanging out of the dash in the left of that picture? LOL :)

So, since there are specific connectors on the wires, I assume I need an actual Ford lighter, not one from the parts store?

Took a second look,and those look like the wires.lol.

Well,the wire with the boot just slides onto a post on the back of the lighter,and the spade connector slides onto a spade that comes off the lighter,so if the aftermarket lighter has them both,then you should be good.

phurst 06-02-2010 07:08 PM

Ok, before I go pick one up, I'm going to test the wires since they look pretty crusty. One should be ground, one should be 12V all the time, right?

Rogue_Wulff 06-02-2010 07:26 PM

The round connector should be hot fulltime. I always prefered the lighter to be hot only with the key on, but it does come in handy for charging the cell phone.....

Fordzilla80 06-02-2010 07:34 PM

When I got my truck I threw the actual lighter element in the trash.I have no use for it.But for originality i'm gonna put one back in it.

phurst 06-02-2010 07:35 PM

I prefer that as well, but I'm not going to tap into switched power. I'll just work with what I've got.

phurst 06-03-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by newrider3 (Post 8957627)
For the antenna, the mast itself screws into the baseplate on the cowl. As long as it isn't broken off inside the threads, you just have to screw it out.

Thanks! I checked last night and it looks as though the antenna mast is just missing. I can see the threads in the base plate, so I'll just pick up a new one and screw it in. I have reception, it's just crappy.

smashclash 06-03-2010 09:40 AM

I ran a new cigarette lighter adapter in my daily driver when i got it (2005 mazda 6). it's pretty easy. just pickup the cigarette lighter kit at the auto parts store and run the red line to your fuse box and ground the black cable somewhere near the lighter. The autoparts store lighter kit might not allow for actual cigarette lighting, only for power devices such as an ipod though.

let me know how you make out. on my to do list is install my satellite radio dock in the truck and i want to run a separate lighter for that so i can still use the cigarette lighter for something else when it comes up, plus i don't like the looks of wires all hanging around.

Rogue_Wulff 06-03-2010 09:51 AM

I do have a minor complaint about the ashtray in these trucks. You simply cannot get it over 1/2 full. Once it hits the 1/2 way mark, stuff will bounce out when you hit a bump. The floorboard, on the other hand, can hold several hundred dollars worth of change........

Festus Hagen 06-03-2010 10:53 AM

I have a major complaint ... They keep stealing my money!!!

Seems every time I sit in one, my money winds up on the floor behind the seat!

Yes, it has been very embarrassing a couple of times at the store counter!
(As everyone is staring at you thinking, YEA RIGHT!, Of course my raggy looks don't help :))

-Enjoy
fh : )_~