Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Front fuel tank issues . . . How tough is it to remove and check? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/961254-front-fuel-tank-issues-how-tough-is-it-to-remove-and-check.html)

JoeVR5 05-29-2010 08:56 AM

Front fuel tank issues . . . How tough is it to remove and check?

Hi all,

I have a 1990 Ford F250 diesel, ext cab, 4x4, e4od, and now that it is summertime, I am trying to get some things fixed that have been on my "to do" list for a while.

My front fuel tank has 2 problems . . .

First and foremost, the sending gauge to the front tank does not register when I switch it over. It just drops straight to E. This just happened recently, but before it stopped working, I would always feel like I was running out of fuel a little under a quarter of a tank.

It seems like the 2 main issues here are the sending unit and a cracked or broken fuel pickup.

Here are my questions . . .

How difficult is it to drop the front fuel tank on this truck?

How difficult is it to replace that fuel pickup? What sort of material is it?

Is there any way that I can check/test the sending unit instead of just buying a new one? Maybe it's just a ground connection or something, but I don't know where to check.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so much!

Joe

Volvo92906 05-29-2010 09:00 AM

Tanks are easy. You need a socket set. Screwdrivers, and Jack.

Easier with tank empty, put jack under tank, unbolt straps, lower a bit, disconnect fuel lines, electrical connector, filler tube, drop tank rest of the way.

To test sending unit, pull it out, plug it in turn on trucks power, and move the arm. If the gauge moves, it works. If not, it doesnt. That is if you already know your gauge is good.

Another trick I learned is if you get a potentiometer and some alligator clips, you can make a little device to hook up to where your sending unit goes. When you turn the knob, itll move the gauge. This will also help you determine that your connections are good if it works since you are hooking up to the sending units connection.

madrox 05-29-2010 10:29 AM

I replaced my gas tank and sending unit here recently and it was not bad at all. I did it on my back without jacking up the truck, and it still only took about 45 mins. The worst part is getting the damn strap bolts loose.

The sending unit was easy to replace. I know from times working on cars in the past, a lot of times, the sending unit will be fine, but the float with corrode and fill with gas showing empty all of the time. The new sending unit I got came with a solid plastic one instead which seems like a much better design.

The tank was around $150 and the sending unit was $97. My gas tank looked like tar inside. It was awful.:-X06

JoeVR5 05-29-2010 11:46 AM

Thank you both for the helpful information. I'm hopefully going to tackle this project next weekend.

Any advice as to the fuel pickup?

Thanks!

Volvo92906 05-29-2010 01:22 PM

I am not sure I understand what the fuel pickup is. Is that the pump in the tank?

You can pick up a sending unit/in tank pump combo for like 110 bucks from auto zone. Theyre not bad either. Its cheap and why not replace it all, thats what I have in my truck.

This is near me but just to give you an idea...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...uestid=1378818

JoeVR5 07-01-2010 07:30 PM

Does my diesel have 2 fuel pumps? (1 in each tank?)

I'm trying to figure out what parts to buy since I am about to drop my tank . . .

Filler Neck (mine is cracked)
Sending Unit

Is the fuel pickup a part of the sending unit? I'm nearly positive that my front tank fuel pickup is either broken or cracked down by the bottom of the tank, and I want to address it so I don't end up sucking in air when I am at 1/4 tank.

Anything else I need to buy? I called Autozone and Advance and nobody carries the sending units . . . I'm ordering mine from LMC truck

wickedklown83 07-02-2010 02:30 AM

from what autozones website is saying, you have a fuel pump that bolts onto your block like a old carbed gas engine.... dunno if thats right, but its what they list... and they didnt list a sending unit ( that i could find ) but all sending units that were for a carbed design gasser had all the pickups attached when you bought it, i would have to assume that yours would be the same.. also advance lists the same on block fuel pump, so i figure 2 sites cant be wrong, but listing same parts?? hopefully someone can chime in, but on the upside at advance they show they carry replacement/repair pick-up tubes for right around 13 dollars

JoeVR5 07-02-2010 07:54 AM

Thank you so much for finding that! I have searched Advance Auto's website, but I can't find a thing. How did you search for it?

Could you please send me that part number? The people at Advance Auto couldn't even find it in their computer system . . . It's pretty frustrating.

Thanks again. Hopefully I'll be able to find that part!

wickedklown83 07-02-2010 10:50 AM

all i did was for your truck searched for sending unit in hopes of finding the fuel gauge sending unit and instead found thoso, they all start about half way down, i guess it comes down to which one do you need, probably have to pull your tank to see first what is wrong

Search Results for sending unit - Advance Auto Parts

SSdiesel 07-18-2010 01:07 AM

hi ... i was just scanning some of the other posts regarding fuel tank problems like mine and wondered if you could possibly help me out here if you know.... i have 97 f250 diesel 4x4 dual tanks ... back one was leaking it seemed, dropped the tank and one line was loose and came off easily but cannot figure out how to disconnect the other fuel line from fuel sensor/pickup .... so here i am one line not connected and one i cannot remove to replace ... stuck in middle any ideas how i can fix it ...

thanks in advance

Scott