Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   P0001 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/961165-p0001.html)

Temecula50 05-28-2010 08:09 PM

P0001

My scanner reads P0001 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Open.My truck shuts down without warning,runs great otherwise.I've changed 2 grey CPS units and now have the Black IH one installed.Anyone know what the Fuel Volume Reg.is?Is it the IPR on the HPOP?F250SD 7.3 225,000 miles.

F350-6 05-28-2010 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Temecula50 (Post 8940078)
My scanner reads P0001 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Open.My truck shuts down without warning,runs great otherwise.I've changed 2 grey CPS units and now have the Black IH one installed.Anyone know what the Fuel Volume Reg.is?Is it the IPR on the HPOP?F250SD 7.3 225,000 miles.

Welcome to FTE. The 7.3 diesel motor is not OBDII compliant so most code readers will not work for engine codes. There is no P0001 for the 7.3 diesel, so I'm willing to go out on a limb and say you can ignore that code and your code reader won't work with your motor.

We do have a 7.3 specific diesel section located further down the main forum listing for more info related to your motor.

Since the code won't help, let's focus more on the symptoms. When the truck shuts down, does it spit and sputter or is it like someone turned the key off? Do any dash lights come on, flash, not act normal, etc.? How hard is it to restart? If it doesn't re-start right away, do all the dash lights act normal while cranking? What year model is your truck? Is the engine oil full?

It's likely an electrical issue, but we need to know how it dies before proceeding.

Temecula50 05-29-2010 02:04 PM

Chris,first thanks for your reply.My truck is a 2002 F250SD 7.3 225,000 trouble free (until now).The motor flat lines all at once no warning no lites.I've been through several CPS now running Black IH the same problems.A few restarts after 2 minutes but mostly I have to disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour before it will restart.The truck runs great,doesn't smoke starts within 2 sec.cold.I recently,3 months ago went through o-rings from Guzzle.Injectors,HPOP,Oil Cooler,Fuel Bowl,IPR.This thing doesn't leak. Also I put in a non EBV pedestal,A.I.H.deleteI have a pretty good mechanical ability and after the Dealership nightmares and help from this site and others I decided to tackle this problem but now I'm stumped.Any response is greatly appreciated.GB

F350-6 05-29-2010 04:49 PM

After it stalls and you have a no start condition, what does your WTS light do? Come on and go off like normal? Stay on? Not come on at all? More than likely disconnecting the battery is not doing anything other than giving you something to occupy your time. Let's start by checking the common stuff in regards to shorted wires.

Remove the air intake tube and inspect the wires below and behind the 42 pin connector (square box with a bolt in the middle of it on the driver side valve cover under the air intake). Check for the wiring harness that goes over the driver front shock for chaffing. Check the wires going to the ICP sensor and the IPR. If those wires chaff or the insulation gets brittle and they short to ground (or each other) it can cause a stall.

Next time you have a no start, listen very carefully to see if the fuel pump comes on with the key. Odds are it does not. Leave the key in the on position and start wiggling the wires under the hood. If you shaking a harness makes the fuel pump kick on, you've found the short.

Temecula50 05-29-2010 06:37 PM

Chris,thanks again for the help.The wait to start light is normal,fuel pump sounds normal,the tack doesn't register until the engine starts I've heard that is a sign of bad CPS but I'm on my fourth one now.I'll check the harnesses for shorts,thanks again.GB

F350-6 05-29-2010 07:06 PM

The tach won't move on a 2002 until after it starts. That trick only works on the earlier models.

Temecula50 06-05-2010 12:15 PM

Hey Chris I just got my AE scanner software and am having problems with it reading my truck.I read a post somewhere that explains specific steps for initializing the software for my truck but I'm having nightmares finding that post again (should have saved it!)if you have a link to this would you post it?Thanks,GB

Temecula50 06-06-2010 03:10 PM

Found the AE link it sure helped.This is a great tool,learning curve is pretty steep but I'm gaining.Buzz test O.K.,cylinder contribution test O.K. I next have to figure how to do the HPOP test.I'm leaning towards a new IPR and then to drop the tank and do the in tank mods.

Temecula50 06-10-2010 05:26 PM

Chris,this morning I put in a new IPR hooked up the AE and ran 50 miles w/no issues!She seems to be running better than ever plus I think I,ve got a pretty good handle on this scanner.Thank You for all your input.GB

F350-6 06-10-2010 06:24 PM

Great news. Thanks for the follow up.

serratorichard 09-16-2013 07:20 PM

i have codes on my ford f 450 p120f p0087 p0001 and im struggling with trying to figure out why this codes come on random once cools off turns on fine then while driving truck shut down and wont start