Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum51/)
-   -   How to pull a motor... without an engine crane. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/961153-how-to-pull-a-motor-without-an-engine-crane.html)

Rusty_Old_F250 05-28-2010 07:32 PM

How to pull a motor... without an engine crane.

Ok, I have decided to rebuild the 390 in my 73 F250, and I need to get it out of the truck. The problem is, I don't have an engine crane. I'd like to see if I can lift it out using one of the beams in the garage. I'll be beefing up that beam considerably, and I'm lighten it as much as possible, so I'll be basically just pulling out a block with rotating assembly.

My question is, will I have to remove the tranny also? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the tranny (a c6 auto, by the way) must be supported from underneath with if the motor is out. That could be an issue, because I'm going to have to roll the truck backwards from underneath the engine.

This will be my first engine pull, and I will have someone else helping me. Any suggestions? Constructive criticism? I'd pull it with an engine crane, but where the truck is located and the direction its would make getting an engine crane in there very difficult, not to mention, I don't have an engine crane!

Sam

80broncoman 05-28-2010 07:47 PM

I've done it in this manner years ago. To be successful you need to put a 4x4 above the SEVERAL ceiling trusses which I hope are true roof trusses instead of just ceiling trusses.
The real question is garage's construction. How far apart are the trusses in that ceiling?
I'm hoping you say like 16 or 18 iches apart.
If there are no boards going from the middle of the cieling trusses install some,...it will easyier to do if you get the 4x4 up there first.
Yes It will be simpler if you seperate the trans from the engine.
Along with being easyer on the roof and ceiling.

Rockstone 05-28-2010 08:27 PM

You might try something like a furniture dolly with blocks to hold up the tranny. That should roll back with the truck.

85e150 05-28-2010 10:04 PM

Rent one. I did.

Rusty_Old_F250 05-28-2010 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod (Post 8940558)
Rent one. I did.

Yeah, the more I think about it, that's what I'm leaning toward. I think the peace of mind that part of the garage isn't going to come crashing down with my engine is worth the hassle of getting a crane in there. Thanks

Sam

Hypoid 05-28-2010 10:49 PM

Cut a piece of 2x4 to fit inside the frame rails and hold the front of the tranny up.

When You seperate the engine from the tranny, keep the torque convertor seated in the tranny. After there is room to work, rig a coat hanger or some other wire across the bell housing to hold the TC in place.

Rusty_Old_F250 05-29-2010 12:21 AM

Ok, thanks!

Sam

krewat 05-29-2010 09:35 AM

You can also use a ratchet strap under the front of the tranny to hold it up.

MeanGene427 05-29-2010 10:20 AM

I had this buddy a while back, one of those naturally big boys, never lifted a weight in his life, but built like Howie Long, looked just like Ben Davidson with the mustache & all, but bigger- he was about 6'7" and 325, about 10 % body fat, one big sumitch. He had a '70 340 Duster (which had to be one the most fun-for-the-buck cars ever built, cheap to buy and went like stink) and he calls one day, come on over, I'm gonna pull the engine out of the Duster. So I get there, he has the intake, heads, trans, all that stuff off, and I'm looking around for the hoist, the big ape grins, walks over and grabs the shortblock, and pulls it out of the car by hand and sets it on the ground :-X18...
I guess I would have been a little more surprised If I hadn't seen him pick up his Honda 750 and put it in the trunk of the Duster a couple weeks earlier :-X20
True story, no bull- that boy could toss you a fair piece if he got mad- had those Mark Bavarro eyes, where you knew you didn't want to spin him up, there was no "off" switch

krewat 05-29-2010 12:28 PM

I've taken shortblocks out of vehicles in my younger days with a friend, but I did used to lift weights ;) I wouldn't suggest this approach though ... I didn't care about the vehicle, it was a parts car :-X14

Moto Mel 05-29-2010 08:11 PM

To support the trans all you ned to do is put a 2"X4" between the fenders and drop a chain to one of the trans bolt holes, stick a bolt through the trans hole and a link on the chain. It will support the trans as long as needed.

Rusty_Old_F250 05-30-2010 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGene427 (Post 8941717)
I had this buddy a while back, one of those naturally big boys, never lifted a weight in his life, but built like Howie Long, looked just like Ben Davidson with the mustache & all, but bigger- he was about 6'7" and 325, about 10 % body fat, one big sumitch. He had a '70 340 Duster (which had to be one the most fun-for-the-buck cars ever built, cheap to buy and went like stink) and he calls one day, come on over, I'm gonna pull the engine out of the Duster. So I get there, he has the intake, heads, trans, all that stuff off, and I'm looking around for the hoist, the big ape grins, walks over and grabs the shortblock, and pulls it out of the car by hand and sets it on the ground :-X18...
I guess I would have been a little more surprised If I hadn't seen him pick up his Honda 750 and put it in the trunk of the Duster a couple weeks earlier :-X20
True story, no bull- that boy could toss you a fair piece if he got mad- had those Mark Bavarro eyes, where you knew you didn't want to spin him up, there was no "off" switch

That gave me a good laugh! I know a couple of guys who might have been able to do that when they were younger, don't think they should try it now though!

I've gotten everything off/out of the motor except the oil, how heavy is just the block and rotating assembly?

Sam

Moto Mel 05-30-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty_Old_F250 (Post 8945676)
I've gotten everything off/out of the motor except the oil, how heavy is just the block and rotating assembly?

Sam

The block and rotating assembly should be about 300 to 350 lbs.

George Frasier 05-30-2010 10:26 PM

I may give your buddy a call later. - I'm pulling a 360 and a 390 - mixing parts and such. I'll be borrowing the neighbors tractor with a front bucket to do it. (HD driveable engine hoist]