Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   2005 F250 for 2010 Expedition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/957628-2005-f250-for-2010-expedition.html)

dougc 05-15-2010 11:01 PM

2005 F250 for 2010 Expedition

Like the title says...I've got a f250 with an 8 foot bed. Thinking about trading for a new expedition. What are the good and bad points about the 4x4 regular sized SUV ltd? and sorry, this is my first post here since becoming a member over three years ago.

eddiemoney 05-16-2010 07:26 AM

A regular length expy will not have the kind of cargo capacity you are used to; nor a lot behind the seats. I highly suggest the EL if the size isn't an issue. You get 8 full feet inside behind the front seats and I found I can get a couple twelve foot pieces inside if need be by angling up into the front area.

Personally the EL was easy for me because you can carry lots of people - up to 8 and all their luggage inside. I wasn't going to be one of those guys that can't carry everyone and luggage so has to have a cargo carrier on top as well. If you don't need to carry more than 4 people regularly that the regular length with the 3rd seat down provides similar cargo space.

Otherwise the standard stuff, power, space, ease of driving all are good. I am actually amazed how quiet it is going down the road.

The one thing I am still getting used to is all the noise the engine/transmission makes. It sounds like crazy loud injector tick (almost a diesel noise) and at low speeds (up to like 20) the transmission almost whines. I don't think either are to be alarmed about, but being my first Ford it sounds very different than me past vehicles.

dougc 05-16-2010 09:19 AM

Size isn't an issue--the EL is still smaller than my truck. Good point about the ability to haul people and their bags. It looks like the EL is 15 inches longer than the regular; the regular is 4'9" shorter that my diesel. Really, the only thing I'll miss is the diesel engine...tons of torque and power.

So, finding one in 4x4 and black might take some time...

Tylus 05-16-2010 12:31 PM

if you need to people hauling, these things can't be beat.

didn't know plywood would fit in there. glad to hear. I've hauled quite a few furniture sets with mine. it doesn't replace a truck of course, but you don't lose all of the good features of a truck.

my Expy EL is still virtually brand new with 10,000 miles. I have no real complaints with the vehicle at all. Ford did a pretty good job with it IMO. pretty quiet, adequate HP/TQ, the 6 speed transmission is awesome, really like the power rear hatch.

bad: crappy Pirelli Scorpion STR tires. some of the worst tires I've ever had the displeasure of owning. Mine still have 20-30,000 miles left on them, otherwise I'd replace. too frugal to replace perfectly good tires...as much as I hate them

BigPigDaddy 05-16-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 8894418)
too frugal to replace perfectly good tires...as much as I hate them

In your case does frugal translate to cheap or poor? :-X04

For me it means both! :'(

Tylus 05-16-2010 08:00 PM

yes...you pick which question I'm answering :-drink

eddiemoney 05-16-2010 08:06 PM

Why do you hate them? Given my 2010 only has 7000 miles on the Pirellis; but they made it through last winter and did arguably well.

Tylus 05-16-2010 08:37 PM

loud, wiggle/shimmy/shake, wallowy ride, P rated on a 6,000+ lbs vehicle. my first trip on the highway with these things made me hate them...and that was when I had under 500 miles on the odometer.

there are way better tires, at around the same price range...hell, the F150 on 20's gets the ATR version which is actaully a decent tire, but we the STR...POS