Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   bushings for the door latch? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/954470-bushings-for-the-door-latch.html)

Cody J 05-04-2010 10:18 PM

bushings for the door latch?

I have a 76 f250 with alot of play in the doors when they are closed. The previous owner had wrapped electrical tape around the post on the cab to keep the door from bouncing around going down the road. Does anyone know if there should be any bushings on the rod on the cab that the door latch closes around, or is it just a case of worn parts? thanks

bucks77ford 05-04-2010 10:30 PM

You probably need a door hinge pin repair kit like this one that you can usually get at most parts stores. That will take the play out of the door hinges. When the doors are open, can you move them up and down and see the hinges move?
Door Hinge Repair Kit

You also may need a new door striker bolt that you can also get at most parts stores. That striker bolt is somewhat adjustable, so you may not need it once you get the door hinges repaired.
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...ker-plate.html

shooter47989 09-11-2010 02:01 AM

door latch bushing

there is a plastic bushing in the door striker.

lxlmariuslxl 09-11-2010 08:45 AM

I went to advance auto and got the striker bushings for a mid 90's explorer and they are working great. Package came with 2 different styles I just matched it up. For both doors It was under 4 bucks.

NumberDummy 09-11-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cody J (Post 8852124)
I have a 76 f250 with alot of play in the doors when they are closed. The previous owner had wrapped electrical tape around the post (striker plate) on the cab to keep the door from bouncing around going down the road.

Does anyone know if there should be any bushings on the rod on the cab that the door latch closes around, or is it just a case of worn parts?

Welcome to FTE

You are speaking of the striker plates, which thread into the door post. The striker plates have a nylon bushing on them that cracks apart, then falls off. The bushing cannot be replaced, as there's no way to R&R it.

D2AZ6522008A .. Striker Plate / Right/Left is the same / Available from Ford and a gazillion autoparts stores.

Fits: 1973/79 F100/880 / 1975/83 Econoline / 1978/79 Bronco, and...

Fits: 1972 LTD/Mercury Marquis/Mustang/Cougar/Torino/Montego/Pinto/Bobcat/Thunderbird/Lincoln / Used on the front & rear doors of 4 door sedans and station wagons.

Fits ALL 1973/79: Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Passenger Cars (except Maverick/Comet) / Used on the front & rear doors.

Fits: 1980/82 LTD/Crown Vic/Mercury Grand Marquis/Fairmont/Zephyr/Granada/Thunderbird/Cougar / 1980/83 Continental Mark VI / 1980/86 Lincoln Town Car / Used on the front & rear doors.

Junkyards: Rear doors get very little usage, so the striker plates are usually like new.

Blown 331 09-11-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 9316674)
Welcome to FTE

You are speaking of the striker plates, which thread into the door post. The striker plates have a nylon bushing on them that cracks apart, then falls off. The bushing cannot be replaced, as there's no way to R&R it.

Thats what I thought and couldn't figure out why this is even available.

Door Striker Bushings (plastic)

lxlmariuslxl 09-11-2010 09:08 AM

I'm a little confused, Do the striker on the 76 doors not unbolt?

NumberDummy 09-11-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blown 331 (Post 9316685)
Thats what I thought and couldn't figure out why this is even available.

Door Striker Bushings (plastic)

Ford made the puppy so the bushing cannot be replaced. I've seen some crazy things done to these puppies, but the fact of the matter is...

Since the strikers were used on the front and rear doors of a gazillion passenger cars, one trip to a junkyard will usually give you enough extras to last a millennium. :-missingt

If you want branny new, it's available from Ford and every autoparts store.

The striker has threads on the end, so it threads on/off the door post. There is no bolts involved.

I'm gonna have to learn how to scan and post parts catalogs pics...or mebbe not, since I'm already besieged enough...as it is. :-X15

doug70 09-11-2010 09:31 AM

fix

I have removed the ford striker pin and used a cutoff wheel to remove the washer and put the plastic insert in. Then made a new washer from a piece of plate and the problem is solved and it is easy to replace again in the future.

Doug

NumberDummy 09-11-2010 09:41 AM

Why go thru all that trouble when there are a gazillion of these puppies available in junkyards, autoparts stores and from Ford?

doug70 09-11-2010 09:49 AM

simplicity

it just was easier to put some bushings in the tool box than entire strikers. Not one of Fords better ideas, but easy to work around and you can't tell by looking at it. This is not for everyone, I used an end mill to get the tolerance I wanted.

Doug