Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/)
-   -   Best engine mods for pulling?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/95126-best-engine-mods-for-pulling.html)

PHS79 01-29-2003 05:05 PM

Best engine mods for pulling??

I am looking at upgrading or rebuilding my 300 for more power. Granted it doesn't need it with only 150,000 miles, but I need/want more power for pull, usually 5,000-6,000 lbs but once a or twice month 12,000+ in tow. What are the best mods to make to my current motor to help?? Or should I just rebuild it? If so what parts should I put in it?? I thought I could get by until next fall/winter when I will get my Super Duty, but I can't wait for more power any more!!! :D Thanks for all your help!!! Paul

Silver Streak 01-29-2003 06:10 PM

You could do headers like I did, but it messes up the fuel maps with EFI. You will gain some power by going to a better flowing muffler. I have a Flowmaster on my F-150 and hate it. I have a Magnaflow on my Lightning and love it. You could also add an MSD ignition system for a little bit more torque. If you havn't replaced your fuel filter recently you should do that. It can make a huge difference in power. You can also add some timing. Stock is 10 degrees, I run mine at about 14 on 87 octane, 16 if the temp is over about 85 or 90 degrees. That is a little much now that I have the MSD on. I will be backing it down to 12 before I go back to the track. Since you are towing you might not be able to get away with this, you'll just have to try it and see.

PHS79 01-31-2003 03:07 PM

I forgot to say that I have got the first kitty gutted, 2.75" pipe off the second cat into a glass pack with duals out of that. Also have a K&N filter. I will try the timing and see if that helps. Any other thoughts?? Thanks Paul

PHS79 02-04-2003 03:33 PM

Come on... Someone else must have suggestions!?!?!? :confused: Please

rhetor 02-04-2003 03:47 PM

headwork!

Silver Streak 02-04-2003 05:23 PM

There's tons of stuff you can do, but most of it won't pass a smog inspection if that's a requirement. Even if that isn't a concern it is labor intensive or the PCM can't adjust for the changes. You can get lots of power with a set of Hedman headers, but they are a pain to install because of the modifications you have to do, and the PCM doesn't adjsut well. You could also add a mild cam and port the head, but the PCM may or may not like the changes.

What year truck are we working on anyway? It's kind of hard to make recommendations when we don't know what we're dealing with. I've been assuming it's an 88-96 model. If it's carbureted there's a lot more you can do.

PHS79 02-04-2003 06:49 PM

Its on my 94 and for the smog controls, that stuff doesn't matter around here. I was thinking that if I rebuild the motor i would put in a cam, get the head ported, put in 19 lb. injectors, and then get a computer chip made for these mods. Does this sound like a good combo for a rebuild?? I would rather just do stuff to the present motor, but I will see what happens with suggetions here. Thanks