Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   04 6.0 Misfire/Chugging? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/951122-04-6-0-misfire-chugging.html)

Tampa250 04-23-2010 06:36 AM

04 6.0 Misfire/Chugging?

Happy Friday, everyone.......

I've got an '04 6.0 that's recently developed an engine performance issue and I was hoping to get some leads on what to chase down this weekend. The truck has 75,000 miles on it and has been trouble-free since new when it comes to the motor. Recently I've noticed that, usually at a stop light, the idle will occasionally get very rough and the normal diesel "clatter" noise becomes rather rough sounding- almost like every other "clatter" disappears if that makes any sense. Up until last night this was happening very infrequently and usually only for a couple of seconds. I wasn't really sure what the issue was then and would rev the truck in neutral and the issue would go away. This has happened a handful of times in the last month or so.

I drive a company car all week and the truck only gets used in the evenings and on the weekends, and last night my wife and I drove it to dinner. The truck cranked and started normally and was operating smoothly until we got out of our neighborhood (about a mile of driving), then the rough running condition described above surfaced and continued throughout the 7 or 8 mile drive. This was the first time that it ran like this for more than a few seconds. The truck was running bad enough that you could feel the misfire or 'chugging' at speed. When the truck would shift into overdrive and the torque converter went into full lock-up, you could really feel this as the engine was lugging. I tried to keep the truck out of overdrive because it was shaking the truck pretty badly. When we came out of the restaurant I thought maybe the issue would be gone but it did it all the way home as well. Throughout both drives the Check Engine Light did not come on.

When I got home I got my DiabloSport Predator because I remembered it has a code scanner in it. I have never checked for codes before so I do not know if these are fresh codes, but there is a P0282 Cyl 8 Injector Circuit Low and a P1000 OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete in there.

While I was in the driveway with the engine idling badly for a few minutes, the issue completely went away and the truck smoothed out for a few minutes. It was like someone flipped a switch and the truck instantly ran properly. After a couple of minutes however, the issue instantly returned. I tried to clear the codes with the Predator but they will not go away. I am not sure how solid of a scan tool the Predator is????

I did a lot of searching on here last night because this is bugging me, and the symptoms I saw on here about the ICP sensor make total sense based on what I am experiencing. People were describing to a 'T' what I am experiencing. However, I do not have an ICP sensor code and when I searched for the P0282 that I do have I read about FICM issues here.

The rundown on the truck- '04 F-250 CC 4x4, truck was bought 10-03 and I THINK I remember the build date as 9/03 (maybe 8/03). Automatic transmission, DiabloSport Predator with 60hp tune, MBRP turbo-back exhaust, everything else stock. Oil was changed about 4,000 miles ago, both fuel filters done about 2,500 miles ago.

A few questions:

Could the ICP be my issue even though there is no code for it?

Could the P0282 be coming from an ICP issue?

I've read about early '04 trucks having '03 motors and something about an updated harness for the ICP- could I get more info please?

Is my truck part of the affected group with the wire-chafing I read a little about? If so, could that be causing this and what should I look for?

Does the P0282 immediately point to a FICM issue?

If I could get a few things to check, it would be greatly appreciated. I did a lot of reading on here last night and it is tough to wade through all the threads and get info specific to my truck. I am very mechanically inclined but my experience is limited to gas motors, so I am hoping that some of you can give me some ideas. Like everyone else, money is limited and I would like to avoid the dealer if possible.

I thank you in advance for any guidance offered!

npccpartsman 04-23-2010 07:03 AM

That particular injector code is for a wiring issue---bad wire or coil. I don't think you have a FICM problem because the Predator will show those codes. I use my predator for the same thing but I DON"T run those tunes because they are very destructive. The mileage is nice--best I ever got, but the timing is toooooo high and WILL cause you issues eventually. I speak from experience here. I would check the harness carefully for chafing first.

Tampa250 04-23-2010 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by npccpartsman (Post 8804760)
That particular injector code is for a wiring issue---bad wire or coil. I don't think you have a FICM problem because the Predator will show those codes. I use my predator for the same thing but I DON"T run those tunes because they are very destructive. The mileage is nice--best I ever got, but the timing is toooooo high and WILL cause you issues eventually. I speak from experience here. I would check the harness carefully for chafing first.

Thanks for the tips! You didn't mention the ICP sensor so am I to assume that I am barking up the wrong tree with that one? When you say "coil" do you mean the coil inside the #8 injector? Any tips on particular areas of the harness to check for chafing?

I really appreciate the advice!

npccpartsman 04-23-2010 08:41 AM

Nothing indicates ICP at this point. The coils I'm refering to operate the spool valve on the injector itself and are under the valve cover--they are about as big around as a nickel and each injector has two. IIRC there is information in the tech folder where to look for common areas of chafing--#8 is on the drivers side closest to the firewall, and the harness basically runs between the top of the valve cover and the intake manifold. You can see where all the connectors go just above the edge of the valve cover. It's tight to work in that area, but that's a place to start.

Tampa250 04-23-2010 11:20 AM

Thanks so much- I will start looking for info on the wire chafing issue and start there. It sounds like that would be easier to deal with than taking a valve cover off to get to the coils.

npccpartsman 04-23-2010 11:35 AM

You can't replace the coils individually as they only come on the injector and you still have to remove the injector to get to the coils. If you don't find wire chafing it's most likely time for an injector, but look at the wiring first. It might be nothing but a pin hole or a loose pin inside the connector. It's a bad place to get to for sure. Might be easier to remove the air cleaner and the two bolts that hold the degas bottle on and roll the degas bottle forward for easier access.

Mich6.0 04-24-2010 08:31 PM

had the same problem and it was a wire below the turbo that went to senser I think it was the ibp or something like that the wire got cooked by the turbo down pipe inside the protective plastic cover I have a 2004 with 66600 on it

96Airwolf 04-25-2010 08:01 AM

I have an 05 F250 with the same exact symptoms. I am new to diesels, but too would really like to avoid the dealer. Please post your findings.

Mich6.0- how did you find the cooked wire inside the loom?
Thanks!
Aaron.

lakewood 04-25-2010 01:37 PM

I just had similar problems with my 05 f-250 recently, it turned out to be the ICP sensor, my truck didnt throw any codes, the way you can tell is if the ICP voltage is low, mine was at .82 volts, and for the ICP to be working properly it should be at 1.2 volts or very close to it, check the volts on the ICP if your scanner can read that, my guess is that it is your ICP.

Tampa250 04-26-2010 06:18 AM

Thanks for the additional input here, guys. Over the weekend I did not have much spare time but I did take a quick look at my wiring. I found a few places where I could see that chafing could be a problem but didn't find any broken wires. I drove the truck quite a bit yesterday and all was well. I'll be keeping an eye on this and will see if my scanner will read ICP voltage- I'd LOVE for it to be something easy like that versus an injector issue....

npccpartsman 04-26-2010 07:04 AM

Here's a good article on the wire chaffing issue: Diesel Technician Society
I've never seen one this bad but obviously it can happen

Elvis40 03-14-2014 10:49 AM

I know this is an ancient thread but I'm having the exact same issue. Random misfiring and chugging with a p0282 and a p0284(both for #8 injector). I just replaced the #8 injector and still having the same issue.

Originally Posted by Mich6.0 (Post 8810770)
had the same problem and it was a wire below the turbo that went to senser I think it was the ibp or something like that the wire got cooked by the turbo down pipe inside the protective plastic cover I have a 2004 with 66600 on it

I'd like to believe this but I would think that a burnt wire to the IPR would affect all injectors, not just #8. Can anyone clarify?

npccpartsman 03-14-2014 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Elvis40 (Post 14163454)
I know this is an ancient thread but I'm having the exact same issue. Random misfiring and chugging with a p0282 and a p0284(both for #8 injector). I just replaced the #8 injector and still having the same issue.I'd like to believe this but I would think that a burnt wire to the IPR would affect all injectors, not just #8. Can anyone clarify?

It's a wire but not the IPR wire. P0282 is for a broken wire or defective coil. The wire might be making intermittent contact, thus giving you the P0284, but I think a broken wire is your issue. Might be difficult to find, but look underneath the FICM area.

Elvis40 03-17-2014 09:34 AM

Thanks npccpartsman. I will take a look next weekend and post my findings.

PS. i fired up the truck Saturday and it ran fine for over 5 minutes while i wiggled wires under the ficm and around the #8 injector, did not throw any codes. Sunday morning it started and ran good but within 5 minutes of idling p0284 came back and started running terribly again.

Elvis40 03-23-2014 08:27 AM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=152617

I pulled the ficm and found this on the middle connector. the closest small plastic tab on the left side is broken and obviously allowing the connector to split. This middle connector controls 2,3,5 and 8 injectors. My last scan told me that injectors 5 and 8 are bad. Npccpartsman, is this my likely problem?

Background: random rough running w/ p0284 and sometimes p0282 codes. #8 injector replaced and problems persist. FICM voltage, hpo, icp voltage are all good.