Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Towing mirrors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/949355-towing-mirrors.html)

KRAWLER10 04-16-2010 08:06 PM

Towing mirrors

I purchased a 2006 F350 Lariat dually crew cab yesterday. 6" suspension lift, 35" tires. I have been a Ford man for years, so many years that my primary ride is a 74 EB. Truck is super nice with plenty of power, only one problem. The mirrors. Ok visibility out of the drivers side, might as well take the passenger side off. Question is..... I want to upgrade to the tow mirrors with defrost, signals, and power. The truck currently has smaller power mirrors on it. So what do i need to do? i have found mirrors on ebay as a set for $300. how do i know if the truck is pre-wired for this upgrade. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Monster-4 04-16-2010 09:05 PM

Do yourself a favor and pony up for the 08+ mirrors. They are way better in my opinion then the 99-07 mirrors.

www.partsguyed.com

divedeep1 04-16-2010 09:09 PM

Check the tech folder for installing mirrors. Iam currently looking to install the 08 style mirrors on my 07. Bout 800 bucks. However, finding 07 and pre towing mirrors are much easier. Try ebay and partsguy.com. Try craigslist.

skip mitchell 04-16-2010 09:15 PM

I bought a new F250 in 05 had the little paddle mirrors replaced them with 05 tow mirrors mine were power adjust and heated,I got them off e bay for like 110 bucks each,had to cut the plugs of little mirrors and put them on tow mirrors,I now have an 08 F350 lariat and the 08 up mirrors are much better.

papamac 04-17-2010 08:10 PM

question was is the truck prewired for power mirrors! I too have the same question, and where would said plug be located? mines a 99 f350 with those dinky mirrors, I will be carrying a truck camper so the wide mirrors would be great. can get power mirrors off e bay for 160, or manual ones for about 20 bucks less.

garryk6 04-18-2010 12:38 PM

I have three superduty's now, and my first (05 Excursion) has the lighted power towing mirrors, and I like them alot. My 2nd is a 2001 F350 CCLB DRW that has the power towing but non-lighted. THey function fine, but I miss the lighted feature. My latest is a 2002 F350 CCSB SRW that has the little paddles, hated them from the day I drove it home. I live in Alaska, so getting used parts is hard in remote Kodiak. My sister and brother-in-law scored a new in box set of 08 power heated lighted, man ext/fold and I spent 4+ hours yesterday installing them. Between information here and on TDS, It was reletively easy. Hardest part was fishing the wires through, and I finally took a kids bicycle brake cable housing, that is flexible yet stiff, and used it to chase the run first, then taped the 4 strand trailer wires to the cable housing, and pulled them thru. The drivers side was a really big pita, because my truck is a 6spd, and between the e-brake and the clutch stuff, there is no room. Do yourself a favor and drop the 4 bolts for the fuse panel to gain better hand access first rather than when you are ready to start tying in the wiring. I'll take some pics today after church to show the final install.
Garry in Alaska
ps go with the 08+ mirrirs, even if you do not change the left-right/right-left issue, they are way better!!!

wallz 04-18-2010 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by KRAWLER10 (Post 8779605)
I purchased a 2006 F350 Lariat dually crew cab yesterday. 6" suspension lift, 35" tires. I have been a Ford man for years, so many years that my primary ride is a 74 EB. Truck is super nice with plenty of power, only one problem. The mirrors. Ok visibility out of the drivers side, might as well take the passenger side off. Question is..... I want to upgrade to the tow mirrors with defrost, signals, and power. The truck currently has smaller power mirrors on it. So what do i need to do? i have found mirrors on ebay as a set for $300. how do i know if the truck is pre-wired for this upgrade. All help will be greatly appreciated.

You will have to take off the inside door panel to look at the mirror wire plug to see if it is the same shape. You might already have defrost and power and would only have to wire in the signals. Not very hard and has been documented well here on FTE! By the way welcome to FTE!

Originally Posted by papamac (Post 8782929)
question was is the truck prewired for power mirrors! I too have the same question, and where would said plug be located? mines a 99 f350 with those dinky mirrors, I will be carrying a truck camper so the wide mirrors would be great. can get power mirrors off e bay for 160, or manual ones for about 20 bucks less.

Your 99 will more than likely have the rounded plug for the mirrors, which will be different on the newer ones.

When I purchased my X it had the little mirrors and as soon as I could I started looking for the larger towing mirrors to swap over. As soon as I saw this picture of the 2 comparisons side by side I decided I needed the 08 mirrors instead. So I just had to go with the power fold/extend features also. Man are they awsome.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...pictureid=9824

KRAWLER10 04-20-2010 07:02 PM

Thanks alot for the info, hopefully i will get the mirrors in tomorrow and take the door panels off. i will let you guys know. i got the old style mirrors, didn't want to put the new technology on the old truck.

garryk6 04-20-2010 07:14 PM

Here are the 08 mirrors on my 02 like I promised.
Sorry the truck is dirty, but it is spring time in Alaska, which means mud and rain.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...6/DSC04240.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...6/DSC04241.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...SBPassSide.jpg

stvwrld 04-20-2010 07:20 PM

Just replaced my 05 driver mirror today. You'll have to take the door panel off and see if it has a 7 pin connector, it's located up high on the door kind of under and infront of the window/lock/mirror controll. I found them all over the net but got this one for $166! NEW! looks and fit great, check it out....look for 08's for you but dosent look like they have them.

2005 Ford F-350 Mirrors - AM Autoparts

TennesseeMustangPerf 04-21-2010 01:08 PM

The 2008s are awesome, bu come with an awesome price, unfortunately.

papamac 04-27-2010 08:40 PM

not wired

I pulled the panel off my 99 but found no wiring for a power mirror option, Im bummed..... Looked all in the cavity but found nothing, no extra wires or plug. So, I will get the manual mirrors. Those 08s look sweet. :-banghead

FX4 5.4 04-27-2010 10:29 PM

to put an end to this debate, the tow mirrors will be plug and play. as long as the mirrors you currently have stock are power, no wiring is required. the heat, turn signal, etc will all work. i did the same upgrade on my 05

TennesseeMustangPerf 04-28-2010 01:23 AM

What about the telescoping and folding features? Surly that requires some slight wiring, although probably not a whole lot.

FX4 5.4 04-28-2010 07:42 AM

no aftermarket mirror is set up for power folding and telescoping. i bought kool vue mirrors and they aren't equipped for it. only a take off ford mirrors would be equipped and yes, some wiring would be necessary.