Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   making bio-diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/948628-making-bio-diesel.html)

tws1616 04-14-2010 12:03 PM

making bio-diesel

Hello! I've been interested in and researching for a while in making bio-diesel. I've ran across several sites that will sell you a "kit", but I don't know that I want to drop 5K on something like that. I'm more interested in building my own processor here and producing on a very small scale. I have 2 diesels, a 7.3 psd and a 7.3 IDI. I've done quite a bit searching on here and some of the links aren't any good any more. Can someone lead me in the right direction? Does anyone have a pdf of building a processor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

fabmandelux 04-14-2010 03:11 PM

Welcome to the biodiesel forum. You should try here first: Biodiesel & SVO Home

You can find pics of my first processor here: 2006 Ford Aerostar 4x4 - Biodiesel Processer

And Here: 2007 Ford Aerostar 4x4 - New Biodiesel Processer Parts

TurnerBioDiesel 04-15-2010 08:47 AM

Send me an email. I can get you started making one from a 55 gallon drum if you want one that big. Very easy, cheap to do.

Rushmore X 04-17-2010 11:17 AM

In other words don't waste your money on a kit. We built ours for less than a hundred bucks. Really only bought some pieces of black pipe, a pump, a couple valves (already had some pipe and valves) initially...

tws1616 04-19-2010 10:07 AM

Turnerbiodiesel I sent you my email, I think..

Thanks for the reply and help guys! This whole site is the best!

TurnerBioDiesel 04-19-2010 12:50 PM

Yep i got it. Did you get all the info i sent.

tws1616 04-19-2010 01:55 PM

I haven't gotten it yet.. And again thanks a lot!

NDFordman 04-21-2010 11:06 PM

Gotta get me some biodiesel!

Hi guys, I don't mean to hijack here, but I am also interested in small scale biodiesel production and would really appreciate some info. I just got my 6.9 IDI powered 70 F100 up and running. My original plan was to convert this truck to a diesel and run it on biodiesel. Please help! I just want to get started without spending a ton of money. Thanks!

Rushmore X 04-22-2010 09:21 AM

If you can round up parts, you can get by pretty cheap. Need a detached shed about 8 by 12 to set up shop. Might get by with less depending on your set up. Several of us have "garages" set up on this forum that you can look at to get ideas as to what you want to do...

fabmandelux 04-22-2010 09:44 AM

I agree. I would recommend to all that are interested in bio, to use the search function on this forum. There is enough data in these archives to fill a library. If you then have questions post them in the forum and somebody will either have an answer or will find one!

TurnerBioDiesel 04-22-2010 09:46 AM

NDFORDMAN
Sent you a PM, Hope that info helps.

Midwest Dually 05-14-2010 11:46 PM

This is interesting and valuable!

It just recently dawned on me that bio-diesel has been around.. Reason being, I am getting near the finishing point in my swap to diesel with my truck (5.8 gas to 7.3 DI).. i have never owned a diesel before, so I never gave this much thought..

Then today, a family member of mine who is the store manager at a fast food place was talking to me about the fact they have so much used oil from their cookers, and disposing of it is a pain...

Duh! It hit me... "Wait a minute.. I now own a diesel, and could use this stuff"! Needless to say.. I now have access to a few fast food joints and their used oil.. I like the idea of recycling this stuff, and not paying $4 a gallon!

Now I found this thread, and seeing you guys put together your own processing plants, and sharing info and tips, Hmmm.. This is very tempting to get started!

I already called around on some drums to start storing the stuff, as there is sooo much to learn!

Rushmore X 05-15-2010 10:14 AM

I get my drums from the Truck Shops. They get their grease and oil in 55 gallon drums, and are more than glad to get rid of them when they are done...