Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   2008 Expedition - Big ABS Brake Problems.... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/946990-2008-expedition-big-abs-brake-problems.html)

Baker Baker 04-08-2010 12:19 PM

2008 Expedition - Big ABS Brake Problems....

I have a 2008 Expedition Limited which I bought for my wife. It has 27,000 miles and we baby it.

My wife was slowing down to turn into the driveway. She heard a screeching sound, the brake pedal went to the floor, swirving around, and the car would not stop. The ABS / traction control light came on the dash too. She rolled on pass the driveway because she couldn't stop the car!

I found a few articles on the web describing the same thing. They said their cars had been to the shop several times and the dealerships could find no problems, no codes, evidence etc. And of course, my dealership is saying the same thing. They have consulted the online help and ran multiple tests today with no luck. Everything works out fine.

I am scared to death my wife and kids will get hurt, but we have to have the car everyday. I found on the web that it may be the hydraulic cylinder.

Any ideas? Thank you.

hjsimpson 04-08-2010 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Baker Baker (Post 8744444)
I have a 2008 Expedition Limited which I bought for my wife. It has 27,000 miles and we baby it.

My wife was slowing down to turn into the driveway. She heard a screeching sound, the brake pedal went to the floor, swirving around, and the car would not stop. The ABS / traction control light came on the dash too. She rolled on pass the driveway because she couldn't stop the car!

I found a few articles on the web describing the same thing. They said their cars had been to the shop several times and the dealerships could find no problems, no codes, evidence etc. And of course, my dealership is saying the same thing. They have consulted the online help and ran multiple tests today with no luck. Everything works out fine.

I am scared to death my wife and kids will get hurt, but we have to have the car everyday. I found on the web that it may be the hydraulic cylinder.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Baker, I own a 2007 and was/is having issues with the RSC(traction control) where it would cut the throttle off and go into limp mode. The lights that came on were the RSC and the Wrench light alternating and would produce NO codes. Restarting the vehicle cleared the lights and everything was back to norm.

Like you I brought it to my local dealer and ran test and they could not reproduce the issue, multiple times (varying in mileage 10k+) this has occurred and it took contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center(CRC) twice and posting a video of it on Ford's Facebook fan page for them to reopen the case.

Since then the CRC agent has been in contact with my local dealership and they were able to get it to "act up" and came to the conclusion it was a bad Throttle Assembly and RF interference from bad spark plugs.

As of last Tuesday, I know have my vehicle back after 12 days in the shop. I say "was/is" have issues becuase the times the issue happens is so infrequently. Ford claims it has been fixed, but in my mind there is a possibility it may happen again in 10k miles or so after my ESP has gone up.

The first time I contacted (about a year ago)the CRC they took the side of my dealership....since they can't reproduce the issue there is nothing they can fix.

My advice is if you can't get the dealership to help, try another one then contact the CRC.

I hope you get in your case its not the same issue as mine and its a simple fix otherwise GOOD LUCK!

(BTW I took video's of the warning lights when they came on for my own sake, and they came in handy!)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ion-issue.html

Baker Baker 04-08-2010 03:41 PM

Thanks, I am just amazed that Ford does not know anything about this kind of thing happening. I absolutely love the Expedition, but if the RSC and ABS have a glitch while in traffic or intersections, it could be really bad.

I contacted the Ford Customer Center yesterday and that was worthless. Hopefully he did make a file and record what we discussed.

Baker

berry1234 04-08-2010 04:17 PM

May or may not apply.

TSB 08-14-2

07/21/08
STABILITY/TRACTION CONTROL INDICATOR -
SLIDING-CAR ICON-ON OR FLASHING - DTC C1996
OR SENSITIVE ESC/RSC ACTIVATION NO CODES

FORD:
2007-2008 Expedition

LINCOLN:
2007-2008 Navigator

ISSUE
Some 2007-2008 Expedition and Navigator vehicles equipped with electronic stability control (ESC)/roll stability control (RSC) may exhibit the stability/traction control indicator "sliding-car icon" on or flashing with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1996 or sensitive ESC/RSC activation with no codes.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE EVALUATION PROCEDURE

Determine if this procedure applies by answering the following questions:
1. Was the customer pulling a trailer when the concern occurred?

a. No, go to question 2.

b. Yes, do not proceed with this procedure. Vehicles pulling heavy trailers have the possibility to have a sensitive activation or DTC C1996. This is a normal characteristic and no corrective action needed.

2. Was the stability/traction control indicator "sliding-car icon" on or flashing during the concern?

a. No, do not proceed with this procedure and refer to normal workshop manual diagnostics.

b. Yes, proceed to question 3.

3. Did the concern occur during acceleration?

a. Yes, proceed to question 4.

b. If no, go to question 5.

4. Test drive the vehicle on curves and/or bumpy roads. Monitor all four wheel speed sensors.

^ Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor (LF_WSPD).

^ Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor (RL_WSPD).

^ Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor (LR_WSPD).

^ Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor (RR_WSPD).

^ Are the values similar +/- 6 MPH (10 Km/h)?

a. No, they vary, proceed to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 5.

b. Yes, go to question 5.

5. Has this concern occurred more than once?

a. Yes, go to question 6.

b. No, go to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 1.

6. Has the Stability Control Sensor Cluster been previously replaced?

a. Yes, go to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 6.

b. No, go to question 7.

7. Did the activation occur in less than 2 minutes after starting and driving the vehicle?

a. Yes, go to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 6.

b. If no, go to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 1.

DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Are after market accessories installed?

a. Yes, repair sources of vibration (sub-woofer, modified center console). Proceed to Step 2.

b. No, proceed to Step 2.

2. Steering wheel angle (SWA) sensor inspection.

a. Visually inspect the optical tone ring for contamination or debris.

(1) Clean as necessary.

b. Inspect the SWA connector for looseness. Reconnect as necessary.

(1) Push, click, and pull to verify a good connection.

c. Visually inspect around the area of the steering column/tone ring for signs of light entering the cabin, shining through the windshield between the defroster grill and instrument panel (IP). Defroster grill variation may allow for slight gaps, enough to leak light.

(1) Use IP colored foam to block any gaps (tape not recommended as it may loosen and fall off).

(2) If no problems found with the SWA system, proceed to Step 3.

3. Inspect mounting/torque of the bolts holding the stability control sensor cluster in position.

a. Look for looseness of bolts or distortion of the sheet metal.

b. Check the connector (pin push outs) and wiring (chafe) to the stability control sensor cluster.

c. If no problems found with the stability control sensor cluster proceed to Step 4.

4. Start engine and keep vehicle at a stand still. Monitor the YAW rate PID value for the Stability Control Sensor Cluster. Expected values: +/- 2.0 d/s YAW.

a. If not within specification, replace the Stability Control Sensor Cluster per the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-09: Vehicle Dynamic Systems.

b. If within specification, go to Step 5.

5. Refer to Symptom Chart in the WSM, Section 206-09: Vehicle Dynamic Systems: Unintended ABS activation, ABS too sensitive, ABS activates on a normal stop.

a. If no problem found with the base brakes or wheel speed sensors, proceed to Step 6.

6. If all steps above have no concern or are repaired and concern still exhibited, or you have been previously directed to this step, replace the ABS module per the WSM, Section 206-09: Vehicle Dynamic Systems.

rustysocket 08-08-2010 02:18 PM

CAn someone tell me where the location of this sensor is. I have a buddy who has one and I am trying to help him locate and install it today.

thanks for any help

berry1234 08-10-2010 10:46 AM

What sensor? And why are you replacing it?