Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   08 Superduty whistles / squeals when accelerating over 2000 RPM's (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/946104-08-superduty-whistles-squeals-when-accelerating-over-2000-rpms.html)

golfswithbeer 04-05-2010 03:12 PM

08 Superduty whistles / squeals when accelerating over 2000 RPM's

I have noticed in the past weeks that my 2008 F250 squeals when I accelerate and the RPM is usually between 2000-2500 RPM's. If I let off or "floor" it, the squeal goes away. It is very loud, not like a belt or air whistle. I don't really notice a power performance differerance. I was thinking it could be turbo related and maybe it has more to do with the psi of the tirbo and less with the RPM's.

ANY IDEAS???? Anyone else have something similar? Warranty just expired 03/22/10.

senix 04-05-2010 06:00 PM

have you checked your belts and pulley's to be sure everything is tight? That is about the only thing I would think it is.

You can check your CAC hoses and make they are tight as well.

kane gray 04-05-2010 06:45 PM

Exhaust leak. Which unfortunately could mean cab off repair.

LaxPlaya21 04-05-2010 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by kane gray (Post 8731934)
Exhaust leak. Which unfortunately could mean cab off repair.

I wouldn't think a leak, beacause he said when he floors it it goes away. If it was a leak, I would think the whistle would get louder with more pressure...

Just speculating here, but maybe a turbo bearing? That is what happened in my 6.0. It would make this whisteling sound... needless to say I had the turbo rebuilt.

hunter08 04-05-2010 09:50 PM

Mine was doing the same thing and found out it was the down pipe/y-pipe.See if it does it especially after sitting at an idle for a few moments then it gets loud when you pull out.Mine was stretching at gasket when idling and did not do it when moving.If this is it they will have it for a day.No cab off but a tranny drop.I thought it was my torbo at first.Hope this helps

hunter08 04-05-2010 09:52 PM

Sorry i didn't put it was the exhaust.And i miss spelled turbo!

golfswithbeer 04-06-2010 08:26 AM

I don't think it is a belt issue. All belts seem tight. It only happens when accelerating and it has become worse over the past week. At first I thought a simple hose leak but now it is loud! When I accelerate, everyone stares at the noise and it is not a "pretty" whistling noise but more of a loud high pitch squeal. I think maybe turbo bearings but I was hoping someone else had similar issues. It only has 32,000 miles. My first Ford and I am a little taken back if the turbo has already gone bad.

senix 04-06-2010 09:00 AM

check to make sure the coolant in the fuel/turbo cooler has coolant in it and is full and looks good in color.

golfswithbeer 04-06-2010 09:06 AM

I just had it in for an oil change 2-3 weeks ago and I would think that the dealership would have checked that???? I see no leaks from the hoses/clamps for the turbo cooler.

kane gray 04-06-2010 11:39 AM

It really sounds to me like an exhaust leak.

golfswithbeer 04-06-2010 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by kane gray (Post 8735027)
It really sounds to me like an exhaust leak.

Wouldn't an exhaust leak be continuous?? This is only when mildly accelerating. Once I reach 55 or so and I am just cruising, you can not hear it at all. You also can't hear if you take off real easy or take off real hard. It is only when normal acceleration is happening.

hunter08 04-06-2010 07:09 PM

That sounds just like mine did.Have the dealer check the down y-pipe.Maybe the same thing good luck!

SANDDEMON08 04-07-2010 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by golfswithbeer (Post 8731208)
I have noticed in the past weeks that my 2008 F250 squeals when I accelerate and the RPM is usually between 2000-2500 RPM's. If I let off or "floor" it, the squeal goes away. It is very loud, not like a belt or air whistle. I don't really notice a power performance differerance. I was thinking it could be turbo related and maybe it has more to do with the psi of the tirbo and less with the RPM's.

ANY IDEAS???? Anyone else have something similar? Warranty just expired 03/22/10.

Depanding wat you call a squeal the early models had a TSB reguarding coolant makeing a similar noise going thru the heater core mine did it id have to dig up the fix but i think they just slow the flow down a little to make it go away.

tpjimmie 03-23-2016 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by golfswithbeer (Post 8731208)

Did you ever find out the reason behind the squeal. Mine is doing this exact same thing.

Crea 04-27-2016 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by tpjimmie (Post 16148360)
Did you ever find out the reason behind the squeal. Mine is doing this exact same thing.

Mine starting doing this exact same thing a few days ago. Any help this problem? Everything works same as before.

squels go away when motor warm as little bit....

There is promlem solver? :-hair
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eration-2.html