Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Surging? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/941655-surging.html)

deercreek1 03-21-2010 05:27 PM

Surging?

2005 F350 with 170,000 miles. Last week it began surging while driving at 60 mph. Not constant but every 10 milkes or so it would surge or hickup. I thought it was fuel filters so I switched those and no change. At times at a stop sign it will jump a bit almost like I hit the gas a little. The turbo was replaced at 105,000 and the EGR was disconnected at that time. I do run a Bullydog for economy and did flash back to factory and still had the same problem. Any ideas?:-hair

cheezit 03-21-2010 07:27 PM

try unpluging the epb see if it goes away, if it does suspect possible concern with the ebp sensor, vgt silenoid or turbo sticking.
if that does not modifiy the concern plug it back in and try the icp sensor, if that modifies the concern possible icp sensor,sensor connector or dummy plug/ standpipe o-ring.

can oyu moniter ipr% at hot idle normal woul dbe about 22-24% readings near 30% would also indacte a high pressure concern.

gearloose1 03-21-2010 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 8668262)
try unpluging the epb see if it goes away, if it does suspect possible concern with the ebp sensor, vgt silenoid or turbo sticking.
if that does not modifiy the concern plug it back in and try the icp sensor, if that modifies the concern possible icp sensor,sensor connector or dummy plug/ standpipe o-ring.

can oyu moniter ipr% at hot idle normal woul dbe about 22-24% readings near 30% would also indacte a high pressure concern.

Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor (EPB) need to be cleaned out occasionally.

Same with VGT turbo vanes, which rust and stick.

Have temporarily solved both of the above with resetting code and "italian tuneup".

-----------------------

I have issues now with surging (almost always at idle, after engine fully warm, as I pull into a parking spot).

On the coldest days (20F or lower), have pulled EBP P0472 (EBP sensor circuit low) error, but inevitably it went away if I just reset the code.

If I get engine hot, I have had P0299 (Turbo Underboost) which puts vehicle into limp mode, so I clear the code, and it runs fine again.

Right now, best guess is:

A) EGR Valve due for cleaning.

B) EBP due for cleaning

C) Turbo due for cleaning.

Surging do not occur at all RPMs in my case, which rules out more serious problems.

lakewood 03-21-2010 07:55 PM

My 05 had similar problems, but at idle it would idle really choppy, sounded like a bad injector, but it was my ICP sensor, hook your truck up to a scanner and see what the ICP is reading, it should have 1.2 volts, my truck had .82 volts so i replaced the ICP and it was fine.

gearloose1 03-21-2010 08:02 PM

Oh... anyone working on their sensors....

Clean contacts.. check wiring... etc.. before you decide anything is bad.

See link in my signature for details.

deercreek1 03-22-2010 09:25 AM

I also did have an DTC that said fuel injector low pressure. This went away and has not come back. Truck is going in today.

deercreek1 03-26-2010 05:03 PM

Installed a new EGR and found out through driving with mechanic while on laptop that I have a short somewhere in the injetcor wiring harness. We gently pulled the harness while it was running to attempt a burp while on the laptop. No burp and actually problem is gone for now. Anybody have any suggestions as to where the short most likely would be? Common rubbing location on the 05's?

gearloose1 03-26-2010 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by deercreek1 (Post 8689573)
I Anybody have any suggestions as to where the short most likely would be? Common rubbing location on the 05's?

Think someone has figured that out.. and it is here:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0.../photo_19.html

deercreek1 03-26-2010 05:26 PM

I will check out the link - Thanks!

F 250 6 liter 05-04-2010 07:48 PM

lack of power

Hello Deercreek any luck on the issue yet I am having the same symptons? Thanks