Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   shift solenoid (code P0750) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/941361-shift-solenoid-code-p0750.html)

twall_SD250 03-20-2010 04:54 PM

shift solenoid (code P0750)

My check engine light is on and i am pulling code P0750. The print out i got says its a shift solenoid 1 circuit condition. Problem cause open or shorted solenoid/ open or shorted circuit. Does anyone know what this means, is this a bad sensor or a short in a wire? Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction on how to resolve this problem
thanks in advance for all that can give me some input

bunklash 03-20-2010 08:47 PM

Tough one to troubleshoot in my book. You can start by checking the wiring and plugs to the transmission, beyond that, at least this will give you a bump, somebody in the know will be along.

twall_SD250 03-20-2010 08:55 PM

bunklash thanks..im stumped too, i shook the wires around and i even unpluged the connection going into the trans and prayed it with a contact cleaner but nothing happen..when it comes to the transmission its like an other language to me lol.. the only thing i will do on a trans is change the fluid and filter thats about all i know about them

Mark Kovalsky 03-20-2010 08:58 PM

It means there is an electrical problem with shift solenoid #1. It could be a bad wire, or it could be an electrically failed solenoid. A meter, a wiring diagram, some know how, and some time will show what's failed. It's impossible to determine what's bad over the internet.

twall_SD250 03-20-2010 09:37 PM

Mark let me ask you this, does this mean it could just be a wire or solenoid problem and not a major transmission problem

Mark Kovalsky 03-20-2010 09:40 PM

It means it's an electrical problem, not a mechanical problem. It's either a wiring problem or a bad solenoid. I don't know how to make that any clearer.

twall_SD250 03-20-2010 09:46 PM

i just wanted to make sure thank you. i didn't realize until after i replied to your post that you are the man when it comes to transmissions. where is the solenoid located and how hard are they to change if it is bad and not a short in the wires also are they expensive
thanks again in advance
tim

twall_SD250 03-20-2010 09:46 PM

i just wanted to make sure thank you. i didn't realize until after i replied to your post that you are the man when it comes to transmissions. where is the solenoid located and how hard are they to change if it is bad and not a short in the wires also are they expensive
thanks again in advance
tim

Mark Kovalsky 03-21-2010 07:07 AM

The solenoid body is inside the pan. It's easy to change. It's expensive to some people, cheap to others. The wiring that may have a problem goes from the passenger side of the transmission to the PCM. There could be an open or shorted wire anywhere along the wires.

bunklash 03-21-2010 09:17 AM

I knew Mark would get you on the right path. Hang in there twall, keep researching and troubleshooting, you'll find it. Good luck!

Alumber 07-05-2011 10:48 PM

Hi Mark, I am getting the same code plus 0755-solenoid B, and P1747 and p0743 for a torque Converter circuit and p0340 for a cam shaft position sensor.... The vehicle will barely move in gear but moves best in reverse. It is running very rich. Does this sound like the computer to you? I just bought this vehicle and was told it needed a tranny so i replaced it with one and it is doing the exact same thing. any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Kovalsky 07-06-2011 03:10 AM

It sounds like an electrical problem, not a computer or transmission. I think the wiring harness is damaged somewhere causing these codes.

toyshop 12-30-2012 06:58 AM

P0750 revisited

Been reading this post to get all I can out of it, cuz I have the a 99V10 with the same situation. I also have no speedometer. As a trans engineer Mark, sounds like you have the upper hand. Could you direct me to where I might find the schematics or flow charts/diagnosis protocol to determine continuity of circuits, and open/short in the solenoid itself? Thank you. Yes I do have 10 meg DVOM.

Mark Kovalsky 12-30-2012 07:48 AM

CLICK HERE to go to Helm, Inc.'s, website. You can buy wiring diagrams, shop manuals, etc.

toyshop 12-30-2012 11:35 AM

Thank you for that.
Did a little investigating, the trans harness alongside the frame by the fuel filter was taped up, so I stripped that down, found one broken wire, 3 others that the insulation integrity was poor, and 2 more that just didn't feel right. One at a time I cut out or spliced the damage out with the assistance of my trusty soldering iron. (I hate crimps) Fired it up, and had all the gears. Heat shrinked everything shut, wrapped it all back up, did the convoluted conduit thing, fired it up again, and back to the way it was- no low, 3rd in drive, 2nd in the other 2. Knowing now that the trans is mechanically sound, I hooked 'er down in lo range,and plowed this mess of snow we got. Now I can bring it back in and "richard" with it some more- I must be onto something or I wouldn't have had it for a short time. I am considering buying the harness plugs and soldering them in to replace the existing ones. The MLP has been done once, and the trans plug hasn't been done yet, oh yeah, the trans plug harness was pinched between the case and the cooler bypass loop. Checked that all out, some of the insulation looks sketchy, but the conductors seem to be in good shape, so I got that fished out from its previous place and now that is free. Will keep at it, I know I've found it, but I guess anything good takes time. If it was easy, everyone would do it.