Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   100,000 mile tune-up ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9402-100-000-mile-tune-up.html)

m 05-01-2002 06:53 AM

100,000 mile tune-up ?

Hey to all:

I would like to find out what is replaced at the 100,000 mile tune-up on these Triton V-8's ?

I recently purchased a 97' Expy XLT with the 5.4, loaded, w/trailer tow package, It has 88k on her, but is in great shape, better then many newer models I have looked at, any info would be appreciated, I also would like opinions on shocks, I figure it's time for them too !

Gotta love this site, and all the help we all receive from it,,:-X25

Mark ,,,,,,,,,,,,:-X22

gr8wan 05-01-2002 07:07 AM

100,000 mile tune-up ?

Mark,

Unfortunately I do not have the owner's manual in front of me. I do remember taking my wife's 99 XLT 5.4 for its 100K tune-up to my mechanic - I trust him better than Ford mechanics. Anyhow, I believe you'll need the usual: oil, oil filter, air filter, check radiator hoses, spark plugs (he mentioned that he's worked on a few Expy's where a plug came loose on those aluminum heads), transfer case and transmission fluids checked/replaced. You may also want to replace your coolant and of course have all your fluids checked while you're at it. Oh, forgot about the belts too.

Good luck and enjoy your Expy.

Dan

pittmanp 05-01-2002 05:47 PM

100,000 mile tune-up ?

http://carpoint.msn.com/homepage/default.asp

After clicking on "My Car" you can register your Expy and get all sorts of information including the tune-up requirements. They will even send you service reminders.

Patrick
2002 White Expedition
4x2 Limited Slip
4.6L :-X22

m 05-02-2002 04:53 AM

100,000 mile tune-up ?

Thanks Dan and Pat, Now my Dealer said they flushed the tranny fluid, and flushed the radiator and added new coolant, to my 97 Expy, the coolant looks new,,I have'nt looked at the tranny fluid yet:-roll ,,opps,,I will look at it this a.m. Now on the rear end it says it has synthetic gear lube in it,,What is the fluid in the transfer-case ?? 97'and 98' have the 2wd option too, just wonder if there all the same fluid,,ATF maybe,,?

Thanks ,,,,, Mark,:-X22 ,,:-X25

Petrol 05-02-2002 06:42 AM

100,000 mile tune-up ?

>Thanks Dan and Pat, Now my Dealer said they flushed the
>tranny fluid, and flushed the radiator and added new
>coolant, to my 97 Expy, the coolant looks new,,I have'nt
>looked at the tranny fluid yet:-roll ,,opps,,I will look at
>it this a.m. Now on the rear end it says it has synthetic
>gear lube in it,,What is the fluid in the transfer-case ??
>97'and 98' have the 2wd option too, just wonder if there all
>the same fluid,,ATF maybe,,?
>
> Thanks ,,,,, Mark,:-X22 ,,:-X25

2WD (Two Wheel Drive) Expeditions do not have a transfer case. The transfer case basically allows for torque (power, drive force) to be controlled/directed/split to either just the rear wheels or to all four wheels, hence the terms, two wheel drive, four wheel drive, and all-wheel drive, and yes there is a differance between each.

I highly recommend that you obtain a owners manual for you vehical (many can be found cheaply on ebay) and thoughly read it as it will describe the many features included in your truck as well as specific information on operation, maintenace requirements, required fluid types, etc.

BTW, six years ago I had the brakes on my then F150 fail due to moisture which had, over time accumul;ated in the system froze while the truck sat in a lot at a mountain top ski resort (-4 degrees F was the high temp for the day) causing verious seals to rupture. Needless to say the ride down that steep and curve mountain road was interesting to say the least. My mechanic said that is just one of the reasons he reccommends that the entire brake system be drained and the fluid replaced every two or three years. He said most often the neglected fluid simply leads to corrosion in the wheel and master cylinders. Now I am not saying that this will happen to you or anyone else (the total brake failure) but then master cylinders for these 4 wheel ABS (anti-lock brake) equipt trucks can't be cheap!

Petrol:-tap

tealboy1 05-02-2002 12:15 PM

100,000 mile tune-up ?

Petrol,

Your comments on the transfer case seem to be on target, but you caught my attention on one thing. I asked my mech (not ford) to service the tranny at 48,000 miles (last week) and also service the transfer case by changing the fluid. He said no need, later model 4x4's have a transfer case whose oil is changed simply by changing the transmission fluid. There is not a separate resovior. That's wy it took 16 quarts.

Was he mistaken?

adelyser 05-02-2002 01:57 PM

100,000 mile tune-up ?

Drawsoncad420 05-02-2002 04:42 PM

100,000 mile tune-up ?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-May-02 AT 05:42 PM (EST)]Yeah, ill have to agree...When your vehicle gets up around 100,000 miles, you want to find yourself a good, trustworthy(non-ford) mechanic. Taking it to a ford dealership with that many miles on it, its just like saying write whatever you want on the service ticket...they'd probably have a field day with ya.

:-X25 :-X22

m 05-02-2002 08:00 PM

100,000 mile tune-up ?

Petrol,,,I guess my post was confusing,,my 97' Expy is 4x4,,but the 97' and 98's have the 2WD, A4WD,4H,and 4L, where as the 99's and up do not have that 2WD, selection,( I called it "the option"),so I guess that they all (the transfer case's) take the same fluid,,thats all I was asking about. And I do have the manuel for the truck,it came with all of them for that yr,,I will check it out, Thanks to all!

:-X25 ,,Mark