Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Oil Leak in Intake Manifold Hose (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/938410-oil-leak-in-intake-manifold-hose.html)

nolsa12a 03-10-2010 11:18 PM

Oil Leak in Intake Manifold Hose

Have an 01' F250 7.3L. The local Ford shop said it is the orange intake hose, and the closest thing I can fnid online looks like it is also called intake manifold hose. However, i cannot seem to find those online anywhere, wondering if anyone knows where I could. Also it is is as easy to put new ones on as releasing the clamps, swap out the hose and reclamp.

They also said the rear main seal is leaking, and quoted about $700 to fix. foudn online the seal for $66, does it seem normal to be around that price? Tey mentioned they would need to remove the transmission... Just want to make sure that what they say sound legit. They replaced the fittings on the high pressure pump which were supposedly leaking, and tightened the clamps on the orange intake hose, but still leaking, about 2 quarts in a week with 200 miles, 100+ of which was hauling about 7000lbs in horses/trailer.

Also, so there tend to be typical issues seen in 01' 7.3's that are around 170,000 miles we should be aware of?

Thanks for any help!

RussB 03-11-2010 12:08 AM

Yes they would have to pull the trans to put in a new rear main seal ! Are they sure it is the rear main and not a leak from the turbo pedestal or EBPV actuator arm ?? Is there any oil in the valley of the motor ?????

Also....I'm not sure of what orange intake you are speaking of ???? Are you talking about the intercooler pipes ??? I don't think I have an orange hose anywhere on my truck !

clintbonnie 03-11-2010 01:43 AM

The only oil that should be leaking is just from the crankcase breather... It routes the fumes back thru the engine and some of it leaks out.. it is normal.. The orange hoses can be found here..
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ion=PRODSEARCH

This is how to change out the 2 two orange hoses...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ine-boots.html

riverrat41 03-11-2010 07:52 AM

Give this man a call.(Clay)will go out of his way to get ya fixed up.

Riffraff Diesel

miller_feed 03-11-2010 08:29 AM

Welcome to FTE.

Do not, repeat, Do not, let them do anything to your truck. I will bet the rear main is not leaking. Get a flash light and jump on top of the engine and look down between the valve covers. You will see puddles of oil that will drain out the back through the hole on the passenger side and leak down the back of the engine and drip out of the inspection plat between the trans and the engine. Get some simple green and spray the area then wash the oil off with a water hose. Once it is clean, start the engine and look for the leak. Look under and around the turbo. Good luck.

Bob Taulbee 03-11-2010 09:10 AM

You did say the stealership replaced a fitting on the HPOP ( high pressure oil pump ) That is where I would be looking for the oil leak they are saying is the rear main leak. Do like Rick said, clean it up and look area around the HPOP and turbo.

nolsa12a 03-11-2010 09:48 AM

THANKS!

Thanks for the replies, will go ahead and clean it up this week and see what I can find out. I am already ticked at the dealership as we spent a good 2600 with them two weeks ago to repalce brakes, calipers, much of the front end (originally was a ranch truck so was caked in mud, sand, and gunk for much of it life so far) and some how they did not see a huge oil leak....

They told me there was a lot of oil in the valley, and all drained down over the rear main seal so all oil leaks end up looking like (funny becuase not something they thought to check before doing the high pressure work and so forth, but are not saying so) the seal. My hope is that it is not. So far they (and another diesel mechanic) all keep saying seems to be in great shape runs good etc. then something happens or find something else.

Will see if can find another leak deep in the crevasses, have to find a good flashlight!

bama29fan 03-11-2010 09:55 AM

a good way i found to clean it all was to use a garden sprayer...

filled it with full strength Purple Power (Simple Green would work also) and sprayed everywhere i could...the wand on the sprayer help to get in to the tight spots and added some pressure washing effect to blast some of the stuff away. I would spray the purple power...let it sit a a minute or so...spray it with the power again and lest it sit...and again...until i had used the whole gallon. I used the sprayer for the water rinsing as well. i wasn't sure if there were things to avoid getting too wet so i opted for the sprayer to be more controlled. worked great...the valley and valve covers look new again.

nolsa12a 03-11-2010 10:00 AM

perfect, will give a shot, anyone know if there are specific things to aviod getting wet, should be okay on the air since it is all sealed up, i.e. no open air filter/intake, stock black box.

Ponyboychris 03-11-2010 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 8625083)
Also....I'm not sure of what orange intake you are speaking of ???? Are you talking about the intercooler pipes ??? I don't think I have an orange hose anywhere on my truck !

The two OEM boots that come from the intake spider and connect to the intake manifolds are orange. Most of the time they are so caked with oil from the CCV routing that they will be black. After a good cleaning, they magically reappear orange! :)

Clay has a great set of replacements boots.

PaysonPSD 03-11-2010 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by nolsa12a (Post 8624981)
They replaced the fittings on the high pressure pump which were supposedly leaking, and tightened the clamps on the orange intake hose, but still leaking, about 2 quarts in a week with 200 miles, 100+ of which was hauling about 7000lbs in horses/trailer.

You definately have a leak that is not due to the orange boots. Like suggested check around the HPOP, where the HPO lines connect to each head and the turbo pedestal to include where the EBPV actuating rod comes out of the bottom of the pedestal. If is an HPOP leak and the dealership work looks good then try to get a good look at the so called "non-serviceable plug". A dealership will not try to fix a leak there but it is serviceable. LINK

If you go to the trouble of getting it all cleaned up you should do a CCV mod.

brian42 03-11-2010 10:34 AM

Everybody has great advice. I can second the vote for the Dieselsite boots, they are great! The rear main very seldom gives on the 7.3L. As everone has said, check the top. The valley up there collects everything so they designed a weep hole on the passenger side in the back to drain it out so nothing pools up. Odds are that's where your leak is coming. It drips down the side of the engine and transmission looking like the rear main is going. Even Ford technicians don't seem to know this after all these years it's been around which is why most of us are skeptical with that diagnosis.

If the oil is in the back of the valley you might want to check the turbo pedestal and exhaust backpressure valve plunger for leaks. If the oil is forward or noticeably pooling towards the front there are several things to check there. There is an injection control pressure (ICP) sensor on the forward end of the driver's side head with a connector that is known to leak. Then you get to the HPOP. Most likely candidates are the gasket where the HPOP mounts to the engine and one of the plugs on the pump. The most common one that I know if is the plug on the bottom as you are looking at it. This is the "non-serviceable" plug that nobody will replace (there's a ball in there that once dislodged, the pump is scrap). Ford put in a plug that has a short threaded portion so it has a tendency to leak.

My engine was coated with oil and I found out that my non-serviceable plug and one of my discharge fittings on my HPOP were kaput. I bought the common replacement plug with more threads (it's for the International DT466 diesel which has a similar HPOP) from my local IH dealer, but you can get it now from Bob (Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines). It's around $30 which is great because i had to buy a rebuild kit for around $75 to get the plug. There's even a write-up link there too. Not that you have a leak there, but it's a good reference in case you need it.

Best of luck this weekend!

duck fan 03-11-2010 11:24 AM

All great advice. My suggestion is this: Go to one place for all this stuff. There is no sense in going to one place for one thing and then another for something else and trying to keep track of all of it. Someone mentioned Riffraff Diesel. Here are the links you need.

If your HPOP is leaking you will need:
Riffraff Diesel: HPOP & Engine Kits

Then your boots. If you need to replace them, no one makes a better replacement/upgraded boot for our trucks:
Riffraff Diesel: Intercooler Boots

Your boots are probably nasty from the oil venting into your intake stream through the factory CCV routing. While you are fixing the other items, it would be a good time and idea to re-route the CCV to atmosphere:
Riffraff Diesel: RDP CCV Kit

Instructions on what thats all about are here:
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/RE...structions.pdf

We are here to help every step along the way. Feel free to post up questions. And above all remember, we love pics!

nolsa12a 03-11-2010 03:57 PM

THanks again, you are all a huge help, will even see if I can get osme pixs of what I see and post up, perhaps will get some more ideas on potential issues if I dont find anything obvious.

nolsa12a 03-11-2010 04:51 PM

Cleaning

After I use the simple green, any issues with just hosing it off? I.E.- any place that should definately not get water?