Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Mexico Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum208/)
-   -   powerstroke service location? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/937720-powerstroke-service-location.html)

hawkco66 03-08-2010 09:59 PM

powerstroke service location?

Guys,
I'm new to the Albuquerque area. I've a bonestock 2004 F250 4x4 Crew with the 6.0. I've managed about 80K miles. I've only replaced the EGR valve twice :-X04 and I'm on the second turbo. I'm super paranoid about a possible future EGR cooler failure and/or headgasket failure.

I've recently read about "fire rings" and other reliability upgrades like EGR coolers and ARP head studs.

Can any of you guys recommend a reliable, trustworthy place to do this work in the area or at least the closest place from Albuquerque?

Thanks in advance,
Hawk

1950gmcelc 03-14-2010 01:12 AM

Hey I found a diesel mechanic from Don Chalmers who has been helping me a ton on my 95 7.3. All the way from helping me diagnose the 6 bad injectors to giving me a new icp and helping me do a compression test and giving me the bad news that I had a hole in the #5 piston. This guy also helped fix my dads 03 6.0 and reprogrammed it for the elivation. Do you know where I could find a replacement motor for mine?

Mrfun2fly 03-14-2010 11:16 AM

EGR Cooler Delete?

Originally Posted by hawkco66 (Post 8615238)
Guys,
I'm super paranoid about a possible future EGR cooler failure and/or headgasket failure.

Hawk

Hawk,

I'm in the same boat as you, but I already bought the EGR cooler delete kit. I was planing on doing the job myself but it's looking like a big job.

Did you ever find a good mechanic? Did you do the EGR cooler delete kit?

Thanks,
Lee

F0rdFre@K 03-15-2010 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 1950gmcelc (Post 8638253)
Hey I found a diesel mechanic from Don Chalmers who has been helping me a ton on my 95 7.3. All the way from helping me diagnose the 6 bad injectors to giving me a new icp and helping me do a compression test and giving me the bad news that I had a hole in the #5 piston. This guy also helped fix my dads 03 6.0 and reprogrammed it for the elivation. Do you know where I could find a replacement motor for mine?

A replacement motor I might could help...

Call Joe at El Mexicano Truck Salvage. 242-2131. Tell him Eddie sent you. See if he has any or can point you in the right direction.

Good luck...

powrstrkr 03-15-2010 11:30 AM

Hey 1950gm... Who is that mechanic at Chalmers? I have not had a need to go there in years but it's good to have a good diesel mech's name in your pocket.

hawkco66 03-16-2010 08:04 PM

no mech yet

Haven't found mech yet but I'm waiting on a possible name from someone in Edgewood. I will post when I learn something tangible. I did email bullet proof diesel and they told me they could do it in two days. Price for oil cooler and egr cooler including labor was approx $4k. Its about a 6 to 7 hr drive from here, plus its four days off, plus hotel costs. Not sure I want to go this route yet

will post when i learn more

hawk

powrstrkr 03-16-2010 09:46 PM

If you're gonna go that far consider Cody at Death Row Diesel in Spicewood, TX. He's from Edgewood and owns his own diesel shop out there. He's a 7.3 pro but I think he works on 6.OHs too. You can contact him on the 94.5-97 forum on this board. He may know someone closer or tell you more about Bulletproof Diesel.

For that kinda money you could almost throw a 7.3 or even a Cummins in there!

powrstrkr 03-16-2010 10:03 PM

I just looked at Bulletproof's website. Sounds like a good place since they specialize in the 6.OH! But I'd still recommend contacting Cody anyway to pick his brain.

powrstrkr 03-17-2010 11:50 AM

I should have said that Cody goes by Rubber Duck on the board. DOH!!

hawkco66 03-29-2010 12:14 AM

Albuquerque Update

No sweat stroker. Been busy. Got swamped at work. In the meantime, I took a chance with the trany at local Don Chalmer's Ford. I let them do a hot change on the Torqshift trans. I got'em to replace both filters and about 95% of the fluid. So far so good. Looks like they did good work.

I was starting to get some P.S. moan so Ialso had'em flush and refill the P.S. pump while they were at it. Didn't have any issue with the brakes yet, so we'll see how long this gets me down the road.

As for the EGR cooler. I haven't come up to a solid solution just yet, but I have a lead on two places. One is in the vicinity of edgewood. The other is on the east side of Albuquerque...don't know, but waiting on a buddy to find the "name."

1950gmcelc 04-04-2010 02:01 AM

hey powerstroker the guys name is robert he is one of the head powerstroke mechanics and he helped me a ton when i was running out of answers. If any of you guys have to have Chalmers do any work ask for robert. I will also try and get ahold of el mexicano trucks to posibly get a motor so far I think I'm going to go with brannex with the install for $3100.

powrstrkr 04-05-2010 10:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up on Robert. Since I had my CPS replaced about 5 years ago (when I didn't know diddly about 7.3s) I haven't needed to take it to the shop. But it's good to know. Post up how your motor swap goes and if they let you take pics - post 'em if you can!

ScottSpear 04-30-2010 09:50 PM

The shop in the East Mountians is Spear's Automotive Service and we specialize in the PowerStrokes and all of us drive them. I recently did the EGR system "upgrade" on Hawk's truck and 5 others ranging from 03-05 6.0L's, and I can tell you the difference is HUGE. The 06-07 will probably turn on the CEL, but the SCT system will shut it off. We are a BANKS Master dealer. We do routine service and repair's. We offer a 3 YEAR/36,000 MILE WARRANTY on most repairs. We do offer lots of options to raise the horsepower and fuel economy on youir PowerStroke's too.

505-281-1000

hawkco66 05-02-2010 03:19 PM

Truck Fixed!

Guys,
Scott is right on. Today I'm sitting pretty with a great EGR delete, new Banks Monster from the Turbo-back, and the six-gun/IQ combo. Scott fabricated a very nice bracket to mount the IQ in my 2004 low and right of the driver so its hanging off of the "wallet" pocket on the dash. Its perfect and the IQ set up is great!

One note, my purpose is reliability and durability and not upping my power output. My truck needs to idle as well. I generally run only power level 1 on the IQ (which most will say is underkill). I use the IQ mostly for engine protection and system feedback.

Even with the stock breather these upgrades provide a significant improvement over stock setup. its peppy on takeoff, and pulls harder through each gear. Plus, it sounds awesome. I'm gun-shy to push to an upgraded breather as I'm happy with the stock filter. It holds several pounds of dirt and is reliable. Granted the stock breather restricts a little power, but its worth it to me to keep the truck humming.

Thanks again Scott.

Guys, if you live here in the Albuquerque area, go see Scott.

Hawk

F0rdFre@K 05-03-2010 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ScottSpear (Post 8836672)
The shop in the East Mountians is Spear's Automotive Service and we specialize in the PowerStrokes and all of us drive them. I recently did the EGR system "upgrade" on Hawk's truck and 5 others ranging from 03-05 6.0L's, and I can tell you the difference is HUGE. The 06-07 will probably turn on the CEL, but the SCT system will shut it off. We are a BANKS Master dealer. We do routine service and repair's. We offer a 3 YEAR/36,000 MILE WARRANTY on most repairs. We do offer lots of options to raise the horsepower and fuel economy on youir PowerStroke's too.

505-281-1000

Where in the east mountains are you Scott?

It's a bit of a drive for a specialty mechanic. But, if your as good as proclaimed, I'll be looking for some options on my 08 here in another 7K miles.