Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   6.0 diesel problems--school me please! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/937622-6-0-diesel-problems-school-me-please.html)

Hubnut 03-08-2010 06:02 PM

6.0 diesel problems--school me please!

I own a 2006 sd short bed with 6.0 liter diesel engine. I bought it new and it currently has 25000 miles on it. I've only recently begun reading this forum and, frankly, after some of the stories I've read here, I may sell my truck and get a gasser! I've not had a single problem with the truck and I change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months. I've read of seriously inherent problems with the engine design (sand in the galleries--needs coolant filter; EGR failure (from clogged filter); hopping badly at 40 mph; poor oil filtering causing injector failures; water pump failure. I'm afraid to look any further!! I thought diesel engines were supposed to go hundreds of thousands of miles without problems, but I've seen some major failures and repairs required at 50,000 miles here! I've put the coolant filter on the truck (last week). Should I dump this thing now? I am completely serious here. Thanks!

Toreador_Diesel 03-08-2010 06:23 PM

Hell No!

There's no need to dump a perfectly good truck...

The majority of failures stem from not using the correct fluids or filters, not keepin up on maintenance, and from it being programmed with a hot tune.

The TLC you're giving your 6.0 is obviously keeping it happy, therefore there is no need to worry. Furthermore, chances are you've got an engine with "commonized" parts. I.e. 6.4 parts Ford installed on the 6.0 to not only test, but improve the 6.0s reliability.

If your truck spent more time in the shop than it did on the road, by all means get rid of it. But since it's running so good after all this time, why ruin a good thing?

texastech_diesel 03-08-2010 07:07 PM

Don't be scared, just drive the thing. For every catastrophic failure at 50,000 miles there are a hundred trucks that make 100,000 without so much as a hiccup. It's a diesel engine, not a china doll.

You just hear lots of stories on here because this is where people come to either gripe about their problems, learn how to fix their problems, or find ways to cause problems by modding. Very few people get on a forum to talk about how normal their truck is.

06silvercrew 03-08-2010 07:08 PM

You have got to realize, the majority of people come here to seek help when they have a problem with the 6.0, thats why it seems like it is plagued. There are TONS of us that are totally satisfied with many trouble free miles from the 6.0. Like Toreador said, ALOT of the problems that you read about on here are due to several things:

INCORRECT fluids and filters. Nothing but OEM (motorcraft, IH or Racor)
Abuse...Let the truck run a few minutes to circulate the oil and thin out. Your injectors are operated by high pressure oil. Dony build much boost at all until up to FULL operating temps.
Using a good fuel additive
People running aggressive tunes with stock headbolts.

You have already made a very wise decision by installing a coolant filter. Keep up the good maint. with the good filters and fluids and you will be fine.

Also consider getting the most recent flash for your ECM, TCM and FICM at the dealer.

barr75 03-08-2010 09:53 PM

change the fuel filters often. every 10 to 15k at most. That is the leading cause [other that the programer and chips] of failures of these engines. once the fuel press. drops just a little, the oil pressure hammers the injectors to pieces. then they run lean and there goes egr coolers and head gaskets. This is a good engine. just has had its run of bad luck in the 03 and 04 years. maintence is key. And DO NOT let just any mechanic work on it. Find a 6.0 mechanic that knows his stuff and he will take care of you.

redford 03-09-2010 12:00 AM

One huge problem with the 6.0L PSD was people using them like a gas engine. Hop in, start it up, drive a few miles to the grocery store, then back home. Repeat over and over. Pretty soon the turbo vanes and EGR cooler is getting clogged with soot because the engine isn't getting to operating temp and staying there.

The happiest owners are those that let the engine work. They tow with it or haul with it, which allows the the junk to be burned off on a regular basis.

bpounds 03-09-2010 11:53 AM

Like others have said, we collect all the bad apples here at FTE. That's why we're here, to help, and lots of people only find us because they are having problems. The rest just drive their trucks and have no reason to search the network.

I sometimes chat up other 6.0 owners at the fuel station or campgrounds, wherever. When asked if the problem prone 6.0 has given them any problems, often as not I get a blank stare. They didn't even know about any problems until I mentioned it. Sometimes I feel bad about injecting doubt in their minds.

Toreador_Diesel 03-09-2010 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 8617295)
Like others have said, we collect all the bad apples here at FTE. That's why we're here, to help, and lots of people only find us because they are having problems. The rest just drive their trucks and have no reason to search the network.

I sometimes chat up other 6.0 owners at the fuel station or campgrounds, wherever. When asked if the problem prone 6.0 has given them any problems, often as not I get a blank stare. They didn't even know about any problems until I mentioned it. Sometimes I feel bad about injecting doubt in their minds.

Very true...

About two years after my neighbor bought his '04 new, I asked if he was having any problems with it and he too, gave me a blank "what the hell are you talking about" look...

The only problems he's had was the FICM going out and his degas bottle cracking, other than that, it's been an awesome truck with little to no time in the shop...

Hubnut 03-09-2010 06:45 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the words of wisdom. I think I may sell after what Redford said. I do use the truck to drive to work each day and it really never has a chance to completely warm up. Not so bad on the return trip because of obligations farther away. Think I might need a gasser. I've had it nearly 4 years now and it has less than 25,000 miles. I enjoy reading here--thank you again.

Utahgoldrup 03-11-2010 03:28 PM

Interesting to read this thread. My daily driver is my F250 diesel and I may only put 10+ miles on it a day and then it sits over the weekend. I tow with it every-other weekend from about May through early October (travel trailer) so maybe I am not using mine often or for long enough. My truck is at the dealer right now, had some kind of oil leak and a gasket needed to be replaced and also mentioned that the engine seemed to run roughly at about 45 mph especially when the engine is cold, they told me they are now replacing two injectors.... I only have 30,000 miles on the truck, what should someone do that just doesn't put many miles on their truck and doesn't really work the engine, towing, etc? I want this truck to last a very long time as it has been awesome pulling my trailer compared to TV's I have used in the past.

fmktransport 12-21-2010 04:32 PM

First truck I have bought 2005 f350 I work it to haul a three car hauler I have put 21,000 miles on it in 10 months, I have replaced the EGR system, oil cooler at 128,000 I have 161,000 miles on it now it is loosing power again actually will only run about 30 mph empty right now. I have an appointment to let someone look at it just wanting to know if anyone had ideas and encouragement for me. I love the truck and would like to upgrade to the f650 or f750 as my business grows I just want to make sure Ford super duty is the right choice if I have to replace the EGR every 40,000 thats not cool. Any upgrades to help me tow and get better gas mileage, First truck and first business I have owned, I was told 100,000 miles was break in miles this is why I bought the truck?

powerstroke72 12-21-2010 06:13 PM

Although this is an older thread, we have a new member posting questions in the most recent post at the bottom of the page. Moved to the 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Welcome to FTE fmktransport and good luck!

BIGIRONMAN9 04-18-2011 12:33 PM

F250 6.0 WITH 245000 MILES

I own a f250 4x4 with a 6.0 and it has 245000 miles on it. It's only been in the shop 1 time for a electrical problem. This truck has been used for pulling heavy loads and in dusty conditions. Change your oil on time and keep good filters in her and drive her like you stole her.

jamiewilson222179 08-31-2011 08:40 PM

ford 6.0 diesel

hi i work for a auto repair shop the 6.0s are strong good engines but the egr and the oil cooler should be changed this will prevent the head gaskets being blown or cracked due to water entering the exhaust filling up the manifold and entering the head through an open exhaust valve so if you will change these two things this would prevent the engine from other problems egr cost $395 plus exchange the oil cooler is around $280.

Lynnmcmahan 01-31-2012 08:38 PM

I'm with you Hubnut, I knew I had a high maintenance truck but the problems I read here are down right scary. My '06 has145k and I drive it every day, even to church. The biggest problem I've had is when an idiot, me, filled up with gasoline. WOW what a four hour ride that was. Sometimes fast sometimes slow but plenty of smoke. I think I used my grandson's lifetime carbon credits. Cost me a $1k for a dealership clean job. Wasn't too funny at the time.
The other problem is finding a trustworthy mechanic that doesn't expect a trip to Hawaii
When he changes an "o" ring on the fuel filter leak, ouch.
Looking for a system analyzer that I can use that will at least give a little assurance that I'm not getting ripped off. Not interested in the super HP settings. Just an instrument that will point out a problem if one exist. Maybe I should wish for a Geni?