Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2008 F-250sd convert to manual transmission (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/937554-2008-f-250sd-convert-to-manual-transmission.html)

Frozen001 03-08-2010 02:22 PM

2008 F-250sd convert to manual transmission

I am just curious if it it possible to convert a 2008 F250sd with the 5.4l to a manual transmission?

Mark Kovalsky 03-08-2010 02:46 PM

Anything is possible. Some things just take a lot of time and money.

seminaryranger 03-08-2010 02:56 PM

Mechanically, it shouldn't be too hard. My truck is a 5.4L ZF6 manual transmission, so it's not like you're trying to mate an engine/transmission combo that never came from the factory.

The transmission crossmember may be different, so some engineering effort may have to be included there as well. I mention this because when I was shopping for lift kits last month, several manuafactures said their kits were only available for trucks with the automatic transmission. That makes me think there may be some differences in how or where the crossmember mounts.

Wiring is likely going to be you''re biggest nightmare; sometimes the engine computer is different between automatic and manual trucks. I read about one dude who swapped for a manual in a Ford Ranger, and he had to switch engine computers. The stock computer wouldn't let him rev the engine over 3000 rpm because it thought the truck was in neutral! Also consider swapping instrument clusters as well.

Don't forget the clutch and brake pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder. The cab probably has all the provisions you need to "just" swap parts out. But finding them is going to be tough. Some people reccommend just finding a donor vehicle so you can rob all the little things from it during your swap. But the problem there is that finding an 08+ model Super Duty with a ZF6 is like looking for the end of a rainbow.

I'm a backyard mechanic. And this job would be too much for me. You may be a little better with a wrench and wiring diagrams. To answer your question, yes it is possible. It came that way from the factory so now all you have to do is source parts. Good luck with your project. If you need me to take any pictures of how my transmission mounts up to help with your swap let me know. I can at least do that.

Wagion 03-08-2010 05:48 PM

WOW I found the end of the rainbow :D No you can't have any of my parts.

TexasRebel 03-08-2010 07:21 PM

ahem...

I believe your 6.8 is not a 5.4 ;)

redford 03-09-2010 12:05 AM

Why would you want to swap to a manual?

TexasRebel 03-09-2010 02:42 AM

Why would you want to swap to a manual?
because you're trying to fix what's wrong... ;)

Frozen001 03-09-2010 07:50 AM

Why... well because I actually prefer a manual, but they are damn near impossible to find unless you order them from the factory that way.

seminaryranger 03-09-2010 10:22 AM

If there's nothing wrong with your TorqShift right now, you could probably sell it once you get a line on a ZF6; it would certainly help offset the transmission swap.

I have no idea on the going rate for used transmissions.

Oh, and another minor detail- The Ford ZF6 actually has a transmission cooler in the radiator. I've traced two lines from the radiator back to the transmission on my truck. I wonder if the radiator is the same between manual and automatic trucks?

JKBrad 03-09-2010 11:22 AM

Sell your truck and buy one with a manual. That's the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

Same advice goes for 4x4 conversions.

TexasRebel 03-09-2010 12:53 PM

Same advice goes for 4x4 conversions.
unfortunately, that's not completely true anymore...

it's hard enough to find a 6-speed
even harder to find one with a manual T-case & hubs
harder still to find somebody that will part with one now that ford doesn't offer the 6-speed anymore...

Front Axle, T-case, and driveshafts aren't too difficult to put in.

Masic 08-18-2014 11:01 PM

Just joined this forum and need help

For those of you who wonder why the below conversion is because the truck was really cheap and in awesome shape. It's a salvage truck, last owner put a brick on the fuel peddle and left it running until it didn't lol. The cummins is my style and the manual is better than a computer!

I have a 2008 ford f250 SD 4x4 4 door short box that had the 5.4l gas and the 5r110 trans. It was changed to have a 5.9l cummins adapted to the original trans and controlled through a PCM module. Loved the truck after the programming of the trans was achieved but it was never perfect due to programming ability. It wouldn't handle towing. The truck is now a 99 cummins 24v adapted to a 6 speed ford manual trans and it's original transfer case.

The 4" exhaust is a tricky one to get between the body, truck frame and transmission at the bell housing. The floor pan above the trans had to be massaged and manual floor pan porthole installed, peddle kit installed, trans lines to the from cooler hooked up, a manual trans mount, 1.5" cut out of the rear driveshaft, 1.5" added to the front so new drive shafts it is, south bend clutch kit, cummins adaptor plate, dash mounted cup holders had to be removed and a manual panel installed (hard to find so far), removed the cruise control kit for now due to wiring. The above listed is the mechanical portion just trans related. The rest is where I need help:

I know the steering column is different between the auto and manual trucks but are the plastic covers different? I would like to just pop the hand shift pin out and remove the lever. The cluster is not a big deal and can cover the lights for PRND21. I will swap the cluster at a later date

The transmission wiring for the autos have a park/neutral engine start circuit involved. Does anyone know the PIN numbers and description of their function for the auto trans that was in this truck. I've got to trick the truck basically so I can start it and incorporate the clutch peddle switch somehow as well. Looking for schematics

I Don't know yet because I am just now getting to the wiring now but does the speedo only work of the diff mounted sensor or trans mounted or both? Another reason why the cruise was removed but can be reinstalled anytime after I test drive this Franken-ford!

Going with a BD exhaust brake kit and have to wire it the dodge way in this ford so more wiring :(

In the end, if all goes well! I will be happy!! If not, it will get burned! :-jammin

largrizzly 10-04-2016 07:14 AM

Hello

Originally Posted by Masic (Post 14594580)
For those of you who wonder why the below conversion is because the truck was really cheap and in awesome shape. It's a salvage truck, last owner put a brick on the fuel peddle and left it running until it didn't lol. The cummins is my style and the manual is better than a computer!

I have a 2008 ford f250 SD 4x4 4 door short box that had the 5.4l gas and the 5r110 trans. It was changed to have a 5.9l cummins adapted to the original trans and controlled through a PCM module. Loved the truck after the programming of the trans was achieved but it was never perfect due to programming ability. It wouldn't handle towing. The truck is now a 99 cummins 24v adapted to a 6 speed ford manual trans and it's original transfer case.

The 4" exhaust is a tricky one to get between the body, truck frame and transmission at the bell housing. The floor pan above the trans had to be massaged and manual floor pan porthole installed, peddle kit installed, trans lines to the from cooler hooked up, a manual trans mount, 1.5" cut out of the rear driveshaft, 1.5" added to the front so new drive shafts it is, south bend clutch kit, cummins adaptor plate, dash mounted cup holders had to be removed and a manual panel installed (hard to find so far), removed the cruise control kit for now due to wiring. The above listed is the mechanical portion just trans related. The rest is where I need help:

I know the steering column is different between the auto and manual trucks but are the plastic covers different? I would like to just pop the hand shift pin out and remove the lever. The cluster is not a big deal and can cover the lights for PRND21. I will swap the cluster at a later date

The transmission wiring for the autos have a park/neutral engine start circuit involved. Does anyone know the PIN numbers and description of their function for the auto trans that was in this truck. I've got to trick the truck basically so I can start it and incorporate the clutch peddle switch somehow as well. Looking for schematics

I Don't know yet because I am just now getting to the wiring now but does the speedo only work of the diff mounted sensor or trans mounted or both? Another reason why the cruise was removed but can be reinstalled anytime after I test drive this Franken-ford!

Going with a BD exhaust brake kit and have to wire it the dodge way in this ford so more wiring :(

In the end, if all goes well! I will be happy!! If not, it will get burned! :-jammin

Did you get everything figured out and working in the middle of building a cummins zf6 ford excursion having trouble with wiring can you help