Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bronco II (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum34/)
-   -   1984 Bronco II Auto Transmission Problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/937407-1984-bronco-ii-auto-transmission-problems.html)

osufireman 03-08-2010 12:04 AM

1984 Bronco II Auto Transmission Problems

I picked up a 1984 bronco II (A4LD) yesterday for $500 with another one as a parts rig too, good deal is you ask me!

So, I spent today getting the rig that had a good engine and transmission in it going. Changed Oil, coolant, and warmed it up.

Problem: Only 1st gear when shifted into OD and D, but if I select 2 then I have first and second gear shifting.

I know nothing about these transmissions but have had to trouble shoot my E4OD before so I'm used to Ford transmission querks. How do these transmissions function, is it vacuum or electronic? And, any ideas on where to start looking to troubleshoot this problem? The fluid level was pretty low so I spent a bit of time filling it up, the Previous Owner swapped engines so I'm pretty sure some fluid got spilled out somewhere in the process.

Any pointers would be great!

kernel-panic 03-08-2010 03:28 AM

If you have an '84 with an A4LD, it must've been swapped into it. The A4LD didn't come in a BII until the '85 model year:

Ford Ranger Automatic Transmission Identification

LMC Truck Parts - Page 8

LMC Truck Parts - Page 112

Now, in regards to your question: Both the C5 and early A4LD had a vacuum modulator. Sounds as if either your transmission is low on fluid or the modulator might be bad. Another possibility is bands out of adjustment.

Ford C5 Automatic Transmission Diagnosis

Ford Ranger A4LD Automatic Transmission

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...4LD_manual.pdf

osufireman 03-08-2010 08:17 AM

Thanks, I'll have to check into it in when I get some time between classes in the next day or so. I double checked the titles again, this one is a 86, it's the parts rig that's an 84.

I'll look into the vacuum modulator, it seems be a reoccurring problem after I sifted through a bunch of posts.

Old93junk 03-08-2010 06:23 PM

Loose the C-5 and swap to a Toyo Kyogo or Mazda 5spd manual...........FAR more reliable, stronger, more fun to drive and gets the most power out of the 2.8 V6.........Heck, I even know someone who has one taking up space in his garage!!!

osufireman 03-09-2010 01:27 AM

I'd love to swap to a manual but it's a bit spendy for my college student budget right now. Maybe in the future, but troubleshooting the Auto is the first task, if I can find something simple that would be great, but if it means rebuild then 5spd might be the cheaper option. Where are you located abouts?

Fluid filled but no difference. I'll have to check out the vacuum regulator on the weekend, might have to get the Cat out of the way to check things out.

kernel-panic 03-09-2010 03:55 AM

An '86 with an '84 parts truck? Oh that could be interesting... since they share very few common parts :( If you find a need to sell the '84, let me know, I'll be needing an '84/'85 parts vehicle not too far down the road.....

Old93junk 03-09-2010 04:28 PM

osufireman.........is that osu Oregon state U?........if so, I am within 60 miles.

kernel-panic 03-09-2010 09:42 PM

His profile says "OR"... so, I'd assume Oregon ;) :) That'd be a bit far for me, since I'll be returning to TX :(

osufireman 03-10-2010 01:33 PM

Yes, OSU stands for Oregon State University, I'm a Business student there.

So, tinkered with the old gal today. I found out that the vacuum line to the vacuum diaphragm....wasn't hooked up...:-banghead The guy that swapped the new engine into it must not have hooked it up when they did the swap. I know he got it in and then left it at that.

Test drove it and it shifts in all gears smoothly and no slipping or harshness, yay! And, I double checked the titles for both rigs, they're both 1986. I started scratching my head after I mentioned the parts being an 84, then looked in the hood and saw a 2.9L...then realized I was wrong.

kernel-panic 03-10-2010 09:19 PM

That'll definitely make life easier as far as swapping parts! Glad to hear you found the problem. I'd suggest getting an external transmission cooler and changing your transmission fluid & filter once a year.

Old93junk 03-10-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by kernel-panic (Post 8624365)
That'll definitely make life easier as far as swapping parts! Glad to hear you found the problem. I'd suggest getting an external transmission cooler and changing your transmission fluid & filter once a year.

Good advise here!.......that A4LD is not the strongest transmission, go easy on it and keep up with the services on it.

kernel-panic 03-10-2010 09:34 PM

... and I'll add to that, when it does come time to rebuild the A4LD.... you'll want a heavy duty rebuild, NOT just a soft parts replacement. The heavy duty rebuild replaces pieces and parts in the early A4LDs that are prone to failure, etc. with later-model parts. Most people look for 'newer' 4x4 models out of a 1st gen Explorer, but the problem with that involves the differences in number of solenoids, etc. There's workarounds for it, but I forget exact specifics.

Old93junk 03-10-2010 09:39 PM

I just realized, my TK-5 manual would not work on a 86 to begin with. 83-85 external slave cyl.........86 and up internal slave cyl......mine is from a 85 BII.

kernel-panic 03-11-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Old93junk (Post 8624487)
I just realized, my TK-5 manual would not work on a 86 to begin with. 83-85 external slave cyl.........86 and up internal slave cyl......mine is from a 85 BII.

Actually, you have a couple of options to 'make it work': Get the bellhousing and clutch hydraulic parts from an '86-87* or get the clutch hydraulic parts / fork from an '83-'85. Just like swapping an M5OD into an older truck, you have to use the parts for the transmission from the year(s) it was used, etc.*

*- I believe the M5 replaced the TK in '88-up applications. There's also a way to swap in a 4.0 M5 clutch to the older TK and FM transmission-equipped trucks. I just don't have a link or the parts list handy right now ;)

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...nsmission.html

bigswede 03-11-2010 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Old93junk (Post 8613955)
Loose the C-5 and swap to a Toyo Kyogo or Mazda 5spd manual...........FAR more reliable, stronger, more fun to drive and gets the most power out of the 2.8 V6.........Heck, I even know someone who has one taking up space in his garage!!!

Gosh I like my C-5.. Darn glad it came with that vs. the A4LD. I do miss having OD but at least it`s beefier and with a few mods it`s a hybrid C-4/C-5. My last 84 has the TK 5 in it and when I broke a tooth off of one of the gears that was it. Couldn`t find one locally at all. Ended up selling the whole truck for next to nothing..:(