Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   gas tank how do i know if I have EEC (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/936205-gas-tank-how-do-i-know-if-i-have-eec.html)

spudgunman 03-04-2010 01:17 AM

gas tank how do i know if I have EEC

finally have the cash for a new 38g tank from LMC question how do i know if I have EEC or not?

TexasTrash 03-04-2010 03:01 AM

Good question, I would like to know this as well!

NumberDummy 03-04-2010 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by spudgunman (Post 8594076)
finally have the cash for a new 38g tank from LMC question how do i know if I have EEC or not?

EEC: Electronic Engine Control system. Vehicles with this setup have an onboard computer.

The only 1970's vehicles to have EEC: 1979 LTD's & Mercury Grand Marquis sold new in CA with a 351W.

Shane in WI 03-04-2010 10:36 AM

I am not sure if this is right, and don't want to contradict Numberdummy, but would hate to see someone order the wrong tank. I just bought a new tank for my 77 F100 and my understaning is that EEC is Electronic Emission Control which is a hole in the top of the tank which connects by fuel line along the right side frame rail to a canister in the engine bay. Some tanks have this hole and some don't. The information I have read list the tank with the vent pipe to the front of the truck with EEC and to the rear without it. Both my 77 and the 75 parts truck used the same tank with the top vent hole.
Shane

NumberDummy 03-04-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shane in WI (Post 8595334)
I am not sure if this is right, and don't want to contradict Numberdummy, but would hate to see someone order the wrong tank.

I just bought a new tank for my 77 F100 and my understanding is that EEC is Electronic Emission Control :-huh which is a hole in the top of the tank which connects by fuel line along the right side frame rail to a canister in the engine bay.
This is known as the EVAPORATIVE EMISSION system!

:-X15 (sigh)

The EVAPORATIVE EMISSION system (there is no FoMoCo abbreviation for it other than "Evap" Emission) is NOT the same as EEC = ELECTRONIC EMISSION CONTROL system, which uses an onboard computer.

EEC was used in two 1979 passenger cars w/351W's sold new in CA only.

Evaporative Emission (it's not electronic!) was introduced in 1970. With evaporative emission, you have, depending on if you have dual tanks or not: One or two fuel vapor valves, and...

A charcoal cannister, a crankcase filter...that clips into the aircleaner. A corrogated paper hose (D4ZZ9D667A) routes from the cannister to this filter.

Plus, there are other assorted hoses and misc. scheiss.

The fuel tanks used with Evaporative Emission are not the same without Evaporative Emission, which, btw was also used in Passenger Cars, Bronco's and Econolines.

Add Rangers, Bronco II's and etc in the 1980's.

I was a Ford partsman for 35 years (from 1962 thru 1997), so I know what the hell the difference is betwen EEC and Evaporative Emission.

The problem is...the beetle brained pinheads at LMC do not know the difference, since they use the abbreviation of EEC for EVAPORATIVE EMISSION!

spudgunman 03-04-2010 02:45 PM

The problem is...the beetle brained pinheads at LMC do not know the difference, since they use the abbreviation of EEC for EVAPORATIVE EMISSION!
so if I dont care about emissions and obviously dont have electric control I order with out.. correct.

Shane in WI 03-04-2010 03:22 PM

Thanks for straightening us out Bill. I was going by what I read about tanks which stated EEC. I read the "Electronic Emission Control" right off a gas tank add on ebay which was wrong. Having just gone thru researching and ordering a new tank for my truck, I figured he was asking about the extra hole in the top. With the vent tube front or back, it doesn't sound to me like they would interchange, but maybe the vent hose can be twisted around. I don't know. I appreciate reading and learning from your posts and certainly didn't mean to contradict you. I bought a spectra brand tank made in Canada for mine, but wondered if you happened to know how the imported tanks compare in fit,finish, and quality? Sorry if I spread the wrong information.

81-F-150-Explorer 03-04-2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by spudgunman (Post 8596307)
so if I dont care about emissions and obviously dont have electric control I order with out.. correct.

It's nice to have evap emissions for one purpose only. It keeps more gas in your tank instead of it vaporizing to the atmosphere as the evap system vents the tank in a closed system through the charcoal canister.

A truck without evap emissions vents the tank through the gas cap.

Make sure you switch the gas cap for a truck without evap emissions to match the non-evap tank, that way you shouldnt have any problems. (State emissions testing notwithstanding etc...)

If you put a evap-emission gas cap on a non-evap tank, it can severly pressurize the tank. Spewing gas, vapor locking, even tank ruptures etc...

So evap-emission gas cap with evap-emission gas tank...

...and non-evap-emission gas cap with a non-evap-emission gas tank.

Hope this helps...

spudgunman 03-04-2010 08:01 PM

yes that helps I likely have the wrong cap right now...

I dont have any charcoal tank in the truck so I will just buy with none and get the right gas cap.

Thiat302 09-07-2011 09:34 AM

Just to be sure before I click Order- if i have a tank with a hose come from the middle front and going along the right side frame rail, I do have the tank with the extra hole in the top?

I dont want to order the wrong one and I believe Im correct but could someone just "sure" things up for me?

NumberDummy 09-07-2011 12:50 PM

Evaporative Emission: Has hole(s) in the top of the tank(s) for the fuel vapor valve(s). Hose(s) route from the vapor valve(s) along the passenger side frame rail to the charcoal cannister.

1977 F100: The cannister is plastic, rectangular in shape, mounts adjacent to the alternator on the frame rail.

The fuel cap is non vented, and, as original, had "4 ears" on it. This cap and the filler tube(s) had a restrictor that only gas station nozzles for unleaded fuel would fit into. Leaded fuel nozzles were larger, today all are the same size.

Some peeps knocked out the restrictors, changed to vented fuel caps, so they could run leaded fuel (which was cheaper), but many were unaware that...

The lead in the fuel melted the charcoal in the catalytic converter...pushing it into the muffler. It wasn't long before their vehlcles sounded like vacuum cleaners headin' on down the road.

Peeps either removed the catalytic converter, or gutted it by removing the charcoal...all of which was illegal...and still is...in some states, CA...for example.

Colemater 04-17-2021 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 8595672)
:-X15 (sigh)

The EVAPORATIVE EMISSION system (there is no FoMoCo abbreviation for it other than "Evap" Emission) is NOT the same as EEC = ELECTRONIC EMISSION CONTROL system, which uses an onboard computer.

EEC was used in two 1979 passenger cars w/351W's sold new in CA only.

Evaporative Emission (it's not electronic!) was introduced in 1970. With evaporative emission, you have, depending on if you have dual tanks or not: One or two fuel vapor valves, and...

A charcoal cannister, a crankcase filter...that clips into the aircleaner. A corrogated paper hose (D4ZZ9D667A) routes from the cannister to this filter.

Plus, there are other assorted hoses and misc. scheiss.

The fuel tanks used with Evaporative Emission are not the same without Evaporative Emission, which, btw was also used in Passenger Cars, Bronco's and Econolines.

Add Rangers, Bronco II's and etc in the 1980's.

I was a Ford partsman for 35 years (from 1962 thru 1997), so I know what the hell the difference is betwen EEC and Evaporative Emission.

can I ask you a question? I bought and installed a tank with EEC, put the valve in, ad attached a hose with I left cooled up under the truck (bought the wrong tank). Is that ok?

the reason I ask is after installation I filled the tank (probably too high) and it started leaking from on top of the tank until enough leaked out to stop

do I just need to fill tank with less fuel or do i need to replace the tank? It’s possible I may have another problem too, such as the valve or the float not seated properly

love to know what you think

5851a 04-17-2021 10:35 AM

Did it leak from the vent valve area or out the coiled hose? Maybe seal at sending unit. Did the tank or valve come with new grommet?

HoustonDave 04-17-2021 07:31 PM

Colemater - if you filled up the tank high enough to leak out of the emissions hose which should go up the frame rail on the right, you must have been filling the filler neck to the cap. Two solutions:
1) Buy a vented filler cap as stated above and plug that coiled hose(or just plug the vent on top of the tank.)
2) Run the hose to the engine compartment and to a carbon cannister (they are relatively cheap) and then run a line to your PCV. If your PCV has a two ports on it, you would have one line to the manifold and the other to the carbon cannister. You will then be sucking any extra fumes from your tank and burning them in the engine... less emissions and less smell. If you do that, you need a vented gas cap. Numerous posts here explain the routing.
If you go the carbon cannister route, quit filling your tank to the limit - the reason you shut off filling when the pump shuts off is so you don't eventually wash carbon bits back down the hose to the tank - especially in a car with an in-tank fuel pump, you can ruin a fuel pump like that. Even if the pickup filter blocks them, you can reduce flow or cause the need to clean out the tank... not fun.