Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Head Gasket Replacement Cost? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/935955-head-gasket-replacement-cost.html)

99F250Iowa 03-03-2010 10:08 AM

Head Gasket Replacement Cost?

Ok, so my head gaskets have the famous leak. Drivers said worse than passenger. Not leaking bad but I want to get it fixed. My uncle knows how to do it all but is pressed for time sometimes. So, I found this guy that's a mechanic that is looking for side projects. He got back to me with a price.... for the gaskets, fluids, timing chain, labor, etc.. he quoted me about $3500 bucks? Ok, so he tells me he does the work for much cheaper than any shop would do it then sends me this quote. I could probably take it to Ford and get it done cheaper than this. I'm gonna work on it with my uncle over the summer. Start tearing it down in my garage and work on it when we have time since I wont need the truck much and save a ton of money. But is $3500 bucks rediculous?

cworley250sd 03-03-2010 12:12 PM

What size motor, gas or diesel?

LSchicago2 03-03-2010 12:37 PM

That sounds high for a gas engine, about right for a 7.3, or cheap for a 6.0 or 6.4.

FI460 03-03-2010 02:09 PM

I was quoted from $2200-$3600 by the three local dealerships for just the headgasket on a 6l.

Boostcrazy99 03-03-2010 03:04 PM

If you are talking about a 5.4L, one head gasket is about $1,300-$1,500 (Ford). If it's both then $2,000-$2,200 max. I just replaced both heads on a 5.4L. My cost for new heads, gaskets, timing chain set, spark plug, head bolts, oil and filter was under $1,500. Might want to look into replacing the heads while they are off to get the better spark plug threads. Just some food for thought. Without the heads you are looking about $500-$650. Hope this helps.

99F250Iowa 03-03-2010 04:29 PM

While I have the heads off I might look into a repair kit for the plugs. I can't afford to replace the heads. That's why I'm going to do it myself instead of taking it somewhere. I have all summber and fall to get it done. So if it stays taken apart for months it's no big deal. I can't afford to dump a couple grand in it. Yes it's the 5.4 motor. No way would I pay this guy that amount of money. He even told me he had some connections since he is a mechanic and can get deals on parts. I know the parts manager at the local fordtown here and I can get stuff at cost. So he definately didn't get me any deals. I'm gonna call Fordtown and ask them how much they would charge and email this guy back and say look dude... I can get it done cheaper at the dealer so what kinda crap are you giving me.

Toreador_Diesel 03-03-2010 05:30 PM

$3500 for a 5.4 motor?!?!?:eek:

What the hell was that guy smoking?

If it were a 6.0 with new heads, new gastkets, ARP studs, and an EGR delete that would make a little more sense, but still would be a little overkill...

The timesert job is much easier with the heads off. Haven't had to do it for anyone, but it looks much easier with the heads off.

Monster-4 03-03-2010 06:30 PM

For $3500 you could drop in a 5.4 reman long block. That's way overboard from just head gaskets.

BobbyDiesel71 03-03-2010 06:51 PM

where in Iowa?

99F250Iowa 03-04-2010 10:24 AM

Im in Cedar Rapids BobbyDiesel. I knew the price he gave me was way overkill. I couldn't believe it. Another mechanic friend of mine said he would do it for about 800 bucks plus parts. Which is still more than I wanna pay. My uncle will help me do it for beer :D So it looks like I'll be doing it with him and saving a bunch. Where do you suggest getting parts from? Should I get Ford parts or something else? I know Ford has the redesigned gaskets, but I believe Felpro makes a good gasket also. Should I get new head bolts from Ford or get ARP? Trying to keep the budget to a minimum but still want good parts. What about timing chain?

Boostcrazy99 03-04-2010 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 99F250Iowa (Post 8595288)
Im in Cedar Rapids BobbyDiesel. I knew the price he gave me was way overkill. I couldn't believe it. Another mechanic friend of mine said he would do it for about 800 bucks plus parts. Which is still more than I wanna pay. My uncle will help me do it for beer :D So it looks like I'll be doing it with him and saving a bunch. Where do you suggest getting parts from? Should I get Ford parts or something else? I know Ford has the redesigned gaskets, but I believe Felpro makes a good gasket also. Should I get new head bolts from Ford or get ARP? Trying to keep the budget to a minimum but still want good parts. What about timing chain?

I get my parts from Rockauto.com. Way cheaper than any local auto part store. All the parts to do the job from Rockauto is about $440. I have a coupon code you can use if you go that route that will save you about $20. You will need new head bolts because they are torque to yeild bolts.

Lubbockguy1979 03-04-2010 03:46 PM

I'd get the black mls gaskets for the heads. Better sealing material. The bolts are not normally a issue on the gassers so stock replacements would save you some $$

Monster-4 03-04-2010 05:05 PM

Fel-Pro makes a complete "rebuild" kit that has all the seals in one kit. Looks like RockAuto has it for $155. You'll still need head bolts.