Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Power point and Cigarette lighter questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/931155-power-point-and-cigarette-lighter-questions.html)

cdnalpina 02-16-2010 01:37 PM

Power point and Cigarette lighter questions

Hey Everyone,

I'm pretty sure the powerpoint in the dash of my 02 is broken/loose. When I go to plug things in, it moves around a bit - safe to assume that is not normal. It works fine though. Does anyone know a part number for it and if it is a cross over part to the super duty trucks or even to Expeditions etc? I have yet to pull my dash but am I correct to assume that the Power point mounts to the back of the dash?

Also, my cigarette lighter does not work. The fuse to the circuit is fine so I can only assume it is a dead lighter. Can a generic parts store one work in its place or do I need a 'Ford specific' one? If Ford, is there (again) any cross over to other models (I assume there must be)?

Thanks so much!

housedad 02-16-2010 02:29 PM

In the past, I have tried aftermarket lighters and sockets. I never found them as good as ones from the vehicle manufacturer.

I never tried ones from Napa, though. They may be just as good.

Such a simple device, but many out there are cheap immitaions. Don't know why.

But yes, part stores such a Schwab, Pep Boys, Autozone, and Advanced all carry replacements for the element and the base. Just read the back of the bubble pack for cross reference.

cdnalpina 02-16-2010 03:11 PM

Great - thanks for the reply. I will give one of those a whirl and see how it works. Would rather have something that works for a period of time than nothing at all.

cheers,

Hollywood703 02-16-2010 06:12 PM

interestingly enough i just checked mine, and my cig lighter plug doesnt power up my gps cord, doesnt even make the light flicker.....gotta check the fuses, either that or have to replace my outlet....

housedad 02-16-2010 06:50 PM

If a smoker used to own your car and they used the cigar lighter, then the ash and acids on the element will get on the bottom contact of the outlet and rust it. Then it won't work as well as a power outlet.

FallstonYJ 02-19-2010 10:17 PM

The Power Point mount does screw to the back of the dash with 3 screws. It is a cross over to at least the F250 as I took one out of a F250 today and put it in my Excursion. It was an exact fit! The entire plastic mount/housing for the Power Point with the Nambour door is a very cheap setup susceptible to breaking unfortunately. You would think that paying $50K plus for a vehicle would buy a little better quality!

cdnalpina 02-20-2010 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by FallstonYJ (Post 8538954)
The Power Point mount does screw to the back of the dash with 3 screws. It is a cross over to at least the F250 as I took one out of a F250 today and put it in my Excursion. It was an exact fit! The entire plastic mount/housing for the Power Point with the Nambour door is a very cheap setup susceptible to breaking unfortunately. You would think that paying $50K plus for a vehicle would buy a little better quality!

Agreed. Thanks for the info on the crossover to the F-250. Seems easier to find oddball parts for them than the Excursion.

Get this, I contacted my Stealer up here and they want... $85 for a new powerpoint assembly in the dash. Also you can't just buy the plastic bit, you have to buy it complete with the socket. How criminal is that?! I am also missing the little clear plastic lens on the passenger side door and they want $25 for that. I'm in the wrong business...

FallstonYJ 02-20-2010 12:17 PM

I would look in your local salvage yards; there seems to be a whole lot more F-250s in the yards than Excursions.

There is a local place here called Crazy Ray's; cost a buck to get in and you pick your own parts. I would bet that both of those parts together would not be more than $10 or $12 bucks!!

ukmat71 02-20-2010 12:40 PM

on a similar point , the power outlet at the rear on my X has stopped working , but the ones in the dashboard and in the back seat armrest box (i only just found that one) still work.

are they all on different fuses ? or have i some wiring issues ?

Matt M, PA 02-20-2010 01:12 PM

On my 2005, I found that the cig lighter socket does not work accessories either. Must be something different about the way it's made compared to the power point....but it made the lighter get hot.

I swapped my lighter socket out for a power point socket.

cdnalpina 02-20-2010 02:02 PM

Good call FallstonYJ - bound to be several F250s to be had at wreckers. Do the dashes just pull off like they do on the Excursion?

ukmat71 - according to my 2002 owners manual:
Fuse 2 (20A) - Power point - floor console
Fuse 3 (20A) - Power point - 3rd row
Fuse 4 (20A) - Power point - instrument panel
Fuse 5 (20A) - Power point - right rear quarter

Not sure is the 2000 is the same but I would check those fuses first. Makes sense that they are all on their own circuit given how much current may be drawn by them for various things.

Matt M - you're lucky it does even that - mine is dead as a door nail. Having said that, I would suspect yours in on its way out as well. It's on a 20A fuse as well so I would think that is should be able to power most things (radar, phone, etc).

Hollywood703 02-20-2010 02:25 PM

Well I cant test mine as when i got it the light portion was broke off from the handle and stuck in the lighter, which may have burned up the adapter....I will likely swap it for a power point just in case, my electronics I may plug into it are far more expensive than the cost to replace it just in case.

cdnalpina 02-20-2010 03:31 PM

Good call for sure.

FallstonYJ 02-20-2010 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by cdnalpina (Post 8540703)
Good call FallstonYJ - bound to be several F250s to be had at wreckers. Do the dashes just pull off like they do on the Excursion?

Yes the dash pulls off exactly like the Excursion; (at least the one on the 2001 F250 Lariat does). I would assume it would be the same for other models/years in the 2000 and up range.

Davesf250 03-09-2019 07:22 AM

Part number

Looking for the part number for the power point and cigarette lighter section both burned out at the same time it’s for a 2003 F250 v 10