Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Refurbished Intrerstate batteries, ever used one? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/931064-refurbished-intrerstate-batteries-ever-used-one.html)

Fishin76 02-16-2010 08:10 AM

Refurbished Intrerstate batteries, ever used one?

I called my local WHOLESALE distributer for Interstate battteries and asked if they had the refurbished batterires. The Man said yes and that they were only $30 with a core exchange. You get a one year free replacement warranty with them.

Anybody used these?

cartmanea 02-16-2010 10:02 AM

I run Interstate, but not refurbs.

Fishin76 02-16-2010 12:38 PM

Well, I'm gonna try them, $64.05 for TWO 875 CCA Megatron plus Both have Sept 09 manufacturer dates on them. Plus, a full year FREE replacement. I don't see how I can go wrong here. My truck is not my DD, so I'm not too worried that I'll get stranded. I'll put them in tonight and see if that will get me going in the cold. Currently, I have one Napa Gold that is supposedly new, ( I just got the truck), and a very old Farm& Fleet battery that i fear is DOA. So, I'll try this before trying something else. IF the truck is warm, starts right up. after sitting all night, Romp romp romp as the interior lights flicker.

aldridgec 02-16-2010 07:35 PM

Yeah, the are usually returns that get charged and tested. I wouldn't hesitate to use them if I was on a budget. Last time around I went with Dekas, but sell interstates and have used the refurbs too.

06silvercrew 02-16-2010 07:56 PM

We put them in ALL of our used cars at work (that need a battery), honestly never really see a problem with them. Now that I think about it, I think they last better then the $100+ delco batteries.

Fishin76 02-16-2010 09:27 PM

Put'em in the truck tonight and wal-lah, cranks over nice and fast, and fires off in 3/4 of a revolution. Awesome! and I only spent $64 bucks. I'm never going to buy another new battery again if these last. I'll get the refurbs. I may go back and get a couple deep cycles for my boat. This is a really cheap way to get quality batts. I'm impressed so far.

jake00 02-16-2010 11:09 PM

refurbs or blems? I've run blems a lot of times

Fishin76 02-16-2010 11:25 PM

Not sure if mine are refurbs or blems, didn't ask, they were the same price either way.
Plus a one year free replacement warranty.

bpounds 02-18-2010 11:04 AM

I'm late getting into this one, but want to give you my experience.

We have an Interstate distributor in my town, so I buy my batteries from them when I can. The two brothers who run it are pretty good guys and like to chat. We got to talking about the business climate in this state and town, and eventually got around to their used batteries. I mentioned that they must pressure wash the plates, and wondering if the cut the tops off or just what they did. He said absolutely not, and in fact they cannot use any water at all. It would be a hazardous waste expense that they could not justify.

Bottom line - all they do is load test and spray paint the battery to make it look nice, and slap a sticker on it. They work on the theory that a large percentage of batteries returned have not really failed.

So for what it's worth.

Fishin76 02-18-2010 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 8531948)

Bottom line - all they do is load test and spray paint the battery to make it look nice, and slap a sticker on it. They work on the theory that a large percentage of batteries returned have not really failed.

So for what it's worth.

Well, If i knew that about a business, I wouldn't be giving them my business. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

The batteries I got were definitely not "spray painted" They looked like normal new condition interstate batteries. The manager there engraved the date i bought them on the lid and loaded them into my car. They survived a 10 degree night, and started the truck with what seemed to be no loss in cranking speed. I've only had them 3 days, so like i said before, I'm impressed (so far). I'll try to remember to bring this thread back next winter with an update.

It's refreshing to get more for your money for a change. $30 a battery, even wal-mart crap everstarts are $75.

Kajtek1 02-18-2010 12:19 PM

Let me calculate.
You buy $30 refurbished battery with one year warranty that will give you average 2 years >>> makes $15 a year
You buy $60 battery at Costco with 100 months warranty that will give you average 10 years >>>>> makes $6 a year.
Tough choice.
BTW who knows how to read the date on batteries? The set on my e99 F450 is getting weak and I wonder if the 100 months warrantied batteries might be original? I own the truck for 4 years.

bpounds 02-18-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin76 (Post 8532131)
The batteries I got were definitely not "spray painted" They looked like normal new condition interstate batteries.

Let me elaborate on this a little, because I was in a hurry and probably gave the wrong impression. What this company was selling is a "used battery". They are not even necessarily Interstate. They are just whatever was returned for the core charge. I don't even know if they have any warranty.

That's probably a lot different that an "Interstate Refurbished." Refurbished might be a brand new battery, that was old stock, returned, blemished, whatever. Could be a good deal, might not. I know this, low batteries can kill a 6.0 very easily, and I don't take any chances with batteries on mine. I change them BEFORE they fail.

Fishin76 02-18-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kajtek1 (Post 8532196)
Let me calculate.
You buy $30 refurbished battery with one year warranty that will give you average 2 years >>> makes $15 a year
You buy $60 battery at Costco with 100 months warranty that will give you average 10 years >>>>> makes $6 a year.
Tough choice.
BTW who knows how to read the date on batteries? The set on my e99 F450 is getting weak and I wonder if the 100 months warrantied batteries might be original? I own the truck for 4 years.

I don't have a Costco anywhere near me, for one, and that 100 month warranty is not a FREE replacement fro 100 months. Pro-rated I bet.
Pro-rated warranties are crap. show me 3-5 years free replacement, That'll peak my interest.

Also, You live in sunny, relatively fair weathered California. I live in Illinois, Where we have all types of weather, and batteries do not normally last 10 years here. If you get 5 years, your doing good, and its time to replace it before it leaves ya stranded in the cold. I've only had one battery last 10 or more years, and it was a motorcraft.

Kajtek1 02-18-2010 02:45 PM

Sam's Club has the same deal on batteries Costco does. And yes, the 100 months warranty comes with 3 years replacement. I've been using Costco batteries for over 15 years and they lasted up to 10 years even when were sold with 72 months warranties.
From what I heard it is the heat that kills the batteries faster than cold and we frequent 120F desert every season, but fact is that I don't have to worry about CCA dropping too low.

bpounds 02-18-2010 03:12 PM

Neither heat nor cold is particularly bad for batteries. What kills batteries is draining them too low just a few times (can be related to cold weather cranking) and over charging.