Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   5.4L Air Filter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/929931-5-4l-air-filter.html)

Quill Gordon 02-12-2010 01:27 PM

5.4L Air Filter

I searched but thought I would ask as well. I have a 2005 Super Duty with the 5.4L. I'm in need of a filter here purdy damn quick. Any latest and greatest air filters out there as of late? Or other good filter recomendations.

shotgunz 02-12-2010 02:31 PM

Probably not want you want to hear, but I'd stick with Motorcraft.

Quill Gordon 02-12-2010 03:09 PM

Hey if thats whats best for the engine then I can take it

shotgunz 02-12-2010 04:04 PM

I've never seen any unbiased (i.e., independent and not sponsored by a manufacturer) testing data that proves A/M filters are better than MC at what they are supposed to do: filter the air and keep fine particulates out of your engine.

Plus they're relatively inexpensive (per mile basis).

BGilley 02-14-2010 02:59 PM

i PUT A K&N FILTER IN MY 5.4 AND GOT EVAN BETTER FUEL MILEAGE! NO PROBLEMS AS OF JUNE OF 09.

magnet1 02-14-2010 06:15 PM

Look into an AMSOIL dealer/website. They are a little more pricey, But they are a performance filter to fit factory boxes, Outperforms filtration and performance better than all others, Including K&N. The best part about them are they are warrantied to last longer than K&N, And they are oil less; Therefore no additional cleaning and oil kit needed. Most of your AMSOIL dealers on line stock all the part #'s.

Ryan50hrl 02-14-2010 07:33 PM

I wouldn't buy into any aftermarket filter hype.......i'd stick with motorcraft if it was me. I've seen more people get screwed up over k&N and the like filters than it was ever worth.......stick with M/C

Ted928 02-14-2010 09:06 PM

Even if you removed your air filter, you won't get better gas mileage. The computer measures the amount of air that enters the engine and squirts in the correct amount of fuel. So if you want to burn less gas, you need to use less air. You control how much air to let in using the "gas pedal".

The throttle plate restricts the amount of air from entering (except when fully open). The filter also restricts the airflow. Removing the filter will enable you to make slightly higher peak horsepower since a little more air will be able to enter the engine. Even if the filter was really dirty, your gas mileage should be the same. Your acceleration would suffer.

Gearbanger 101 02-15-2010 02:42 PM

I've run K&N filters in all of my vehicles and have never had an issue. The so called "oil contaminating the MAF sensor" is some dumb internet myth that I’m certain a competitor came up with to scare potential buyers from their competition. On the other hand, I can't say that I've ever seen any filter significantly increase performance, or mileage....but the fact that the K&N is washable and reusable over and over and over again makes it the top choice in my book. If for no other reason than cost savings in the long run alone.

Big-Red-Lariat 02-16-2010 08:32 AM

Anybody got an opinion on FRAM vs MOTORCRAFT?

shotgunz 02-16-2010 08:40 AM

:-X02

Are you trying to start another urination contest?

:-X10

Big-Red-Lariat 02-16-2010 09:15 AM

just need one & cant decide...aftermarket store is closer than the dealership and carries FRAM so convince me to drive further just to get a Motorcraft...probably made by the same company? Besides, the orange box looks better. :-)

air1jpg 02-16-2010 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat (Post 8521983)
just need one & cant decide...aftermarket store is closer than the dealership and carries FRAM so convince me to drive further just to get a Motorcraft...probably made by the same company? Besides, the orange box looks better. :-)

IMO, I would go with Motorcraft over fram... I have heard too many people say that FRAM is not all that what it's cracked up to be. I have found motorcraft stuff at Walmart and local part stores..

Gearbanger 101 02-17-2010 05:53 AM

Although Fram oil filters are junk, I can't say I've ever heard anything bad about their air filters? Go for it.

Ryan50hrl 02-17-2010 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gearbanger 101 (Post 8518132)
I've run K&N filters in all of my vehicles and have never had an issue. The so called "oil contaminating the MAF sensor" is some dumb internet myth that I’m certain a competitor came up with to scare potential buyers from their competition. On the other hand, I can't say that I've ever seen any filter significantly increase performance, or mileage....but the fact that the K&N is washable and reusable over and over and over again makes it the top choice in my book. If for no other reason than cost savings in the long run alone.

I for one have personally seen the oil contamination on a maf sensor on a cheby.....I'm the one that had to fix it and all it was was a nasty gummed up sensor....