Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   How to Troubleshoot and Fix F150 4X4 1997-2003 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/929226-how-to-troubleshoot-and-fix-f150-4x4-1997-2003-a.html)

slogano 02-24-2016 06:26 PM

same problem

Originally Posted by eagleclaw (Post 8891738)
Hey Ricky. Thanks for the additional info. I will definitely check for hairline cracks in the vacuum lines. I am also going to check the Transmission Range Sensor Switch part # 4L3Z 7E440 AB located on the left front of the transfer case. I saw that JackPiner57 had a similar problem but the opposite of mine. His truck stayed in 4x4 drive when hot and would shift back to 2x after the truck sat and cooled down.
I normally work on my own truck but this time I was told by several people that I need to find a mechanic who could rebuild the transfer case. The mechanic I used came highly recommended. I would tackle just about any job but this called for a lift that I did not have.
He looked at the transfer case and shift linkage and informed me that he did not feel that the transfer case was the problem. He stated that the linkage was sloppy and was not engaging the shift fork all the way. I did have some binding problems with the linkage from time to time. I hit it several times in the past with white lithium grease. While he was working on the linkage, I had him change the automatic tranny fluid, filter and gasket. I also had him replace the rear transfer case yoke seal. (starting to leak slightly). After he changed the linkage, he took it for a ride and everything seemed to work smoothly. I asked him to drive the truck for while and then he noticed that the truck would not shift back into 4x4 when hot. That's when he swapped out the 2 vacuum switches on the firewall. I don't know if he checked for vacuum leaks on the lines. I will ask him and then check them myself. I am really hoping that it is the Transmission Range Sensor Switch part # 4L3Z 7E440 AB . After this, I am going to tackle the Blend Door. (This door stopped working several years ago. I just got the improved door from Dorman). Thanks again for your help. I will keep you posted on my findings.
RC

I have been having the same problem. My 4x4 wont shift into gear unless i am at a cold start. I replaced the transfer case motor because we thought that the old one was dead. however once i am in 4 wheel, there is no slipping. it seems to be a heat type of issue. cause all the times i've had to engage my 4 wheel its worked off of a cold start but not when running for a while. one time i was stuck in a very small mud puddle but i couldn't get my 4 wheel to engage, i turned my truck off for a while. i called my friend but had decided to try my 4 wheel again. after being off for half an hour it went right into 4x4. Please help

Eddiewayne6 12-05-2016 02:44 PM

4x4 wont work in 97 f150

thanks to your information we found our issue and now we can fix it..thank you so much..tracy

brokenleg 12-05-2016 07:56 PM

some of these people must be really uninformed. a 1997 F250 HD isnt the same truck.........

Michael Campbellx 12-08-2016 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by DIYer... (Post 10991291)
First off... THANK YOU for this post. I followed your advice on replacing the solenoids because they weren't clicking. After replacing both, they still didn't click. I have power to both of them and the SOTF switch also has power but nothing happens when i turn the switch. Is it possible that the 4x4 switch is broken? Otherwise, maybe there is a wiring problem from the switch to the GEM or from the GEM to the solenoids?

Any one else have problems with this?

(Nothing at all happens when i turn the switch, no light, no click in the solenoids, no change in vacuum)

Thank you

DID You ever fix it? If so, what did u find ?

ooseven 12-31-2016 04:40 PM

So i encountered a problem with a truck i had just bought, reverse works as it should when i go into drive it bogs than dies when i go into 1 or 2 it makes a grinding sound then dies. any idea of what it could be? 4x4 on or not it does the same thing. also i have a 98 ford f150 would the transmission and the transfer case swap over. also when going down road let up off gas it seems like it shifts up and down.

P.S.
Plus I'm posting to keep this active :-)

ooseven
2000 F150
Info

trukn07 01-31-2017 10:30 AM

4x4 troubleshooting

I have an 03 f150. I have no power at 4x4 switch. Several people in this thread have the same problem. Unless i overlooked it i have yet to see a solution or suggested solution for this. Where is the GEM and relay located and is there a known issue with these and or a diagnosis for them? The 4x4 did work for a while then started intermittently working then just quit altogether. I have as i said no power at the switch, no light, nothing. All other components test good. Thanks for any help.

Ewlsu 05-28-2017 02:40 AM

Hey guys I'm new here !!! I have a 2000 ford f150 4×4 and I need help!!! When it's raining or I wash it it runs horrible, also when dry and I put it in gear it dies if I don't give it a bit of gas ! And as well it spits out a manufacturer code any suggestions:-jammin

Sam I Am 05-28-2017 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ewlsu (Post 17221584)
Hey guys I'm new here !!! I have a 2000 ford f150 4×4 and I need help!!! When it's raining or I wash it it runs horrible, also when dry and I put it in gear it dies if I don't give it a bit of gas ! And as well it spits out a manufacturer code any suggestions:-jammin

This has nothing to do with the 4X4 system, you should post a separate thread explaining your issues and list the codes.

Melissa Bell 06-28-2017 05:12 PM

What was the fix

I have the same exact problems you were having. I read through the post and could not find where you stated what fixed the problem. Would you be kind enough to tell me what fixed your problem. Thanks

thr57 07-16-2017 07:57 AM

troubleshoot 4X4 dash switch

My 1997 F150 4X4 has the dash switch to engage front wheels. In no position does the lights come on and front wheels are not engaging. Can anyone help me with plan to troubleshoot this?:oval

MN_Jack76 09-20-2017 11:07 AM

4X4 Light

Greetings,

I have a 2000 F150 V-8 5-Speed with a manual transfer case shifter. My 4X4 dash light will not shut off. I believe I damaged something with my own stupidity. I was replacing the dashboard bulbs to LED's. Because the LED's I bought are polarity sensitive I had power onto the dashboard circuit board so I could see if the LED lit. The 4X4 bulb took a lot of tries as it was not making a good contact. I believe in pulling out and re inserting the led several times I hurt something. The truck does go into and out of 4X4 but the light stays on. I unplugged what I believe is the 4X4 switch (on the front left of the transfer case near the linkage) on the transfer case and the light stays lit. Any ideas what electronics I may have damaged and where they are located?

Thank You in advance!
Jack

Rob_Schu 03-23-2018 09:40 AM

tranfer case stays in 4hi

Originally Posted by Peckerpage (Post 15034878)
I have a 1997 ford f150 my 4x4 is not working. 4x4 light dose not come on when I turn the switch to 4hi or 4 low . I have removed the actuator in the transfer case and put it in 2hi by hand but as soon as I turn the key on the transfer case goes back in 4hi again. l have changed gem, switch, vac actuator on firewall transfer case actuator and still nothing. Front diff is not engaged but it does work I have engaged it manually. I really need some help I'm starting to lose my mind thanks

I also have a 1997 ford f150 ESOF and have the same problem. Anybody out there have a solution. I think it must be a short to ground on a wire or maybe a bad relay somewhere. I haven't changed the GEM but don't have any other electrical problems and I read somewhere that that would be an indicator that the GEM is bad. 4wd selector switch tests good. Firewall relays test good. I to pulled the transfer case motor and switched it to 2Hi installed it and it goes back to 4HI dash light indicator does not come on.

Rob_Schu 03-31-2018 10:06 PM

Problem solved
I replaced the interior fuse box and the gem module with used ones I picked up from a salvage yard. 4wd is working again. There were some very small signs of corrosion on both units.

Mark32 04-10-2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rob_Schu (Post 17897741)
Problem solved
I replaced the interior fuse box and the gem module with used ones I picked up from a salvage yard. 4wd is working again. There were some very small signs of corrosion on both units.

I am having the exact same issue here.
Did you have any trouble matching up a new GEM module? Does it need to be programmed or anything?

Rob_Schu 04-10-2018 07:57 PM

I called or visited most all the area salvage yards before I found one, but I also saw a couple on Ebay. If the numbers match what is in your truck programming would not be needed. I know water had leaked in around the windshield at some point, probable cause of the problem with gem and fuse box. I believe I have that stopped now.