Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Announcements (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum74/)
-   -   Moderators, guidelines and how they are enforced. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/929124-moderators-guidelines-and-how-they-are-enforced.html)

fabmandelux 05-09-2013 09:24 AM

Sorry gal, but this is the internet..........Some people are just dicks about things. Please don't let one person with an attitude turn you away. Bill (NumberDummy) was quick to respond, and others will help also.

powerstroke72 05-09-2013 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Post #9:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-special.html

I read that post and don't think he meant to be offensive. He was suggesting that you may have to do some legwork on your own with some of your issues. With regard to the OBD Port comment, he's referring to the OBD Port on newer vehicles which is used to retrieve codes from a vehicle to help diagnose issues with it. Your truck doesn't have an OBD Port and he's saying all of the diagnosis work with a 1969 model truck is going to be the work of the owner or a competent mechanic.;)

One thing I learned early on years ago when I joined FTE was that you either have to have a bit of a thick skin or you have to develop one when you post on here, or any internet forum. For the most part, the folks here are super friendly and try their best to help out. Occasionally, we have one or two who like to cause trouble or aren't the friendliest. I don't think that's the case here though. I believe he was trying to give you some direction but had no intention of offending you.:)

Just FYI though, in the future if you find a post offensive or one that is violating the guidelines, look to the upper right of the post and you'll see a little red circle with an exclamation mark in the middle of it. Click on that and you can report the post.

Also, just another thought....I saw you started a thread about not being treated like a lady. There's nothing in your posts in the thread about your truck that identifies you as a lady. In other words, it's hard to treat someone like a lady on the internet if you don't know.:-X22

Here's what the post report button looks like:

flamebringer69 05-09-2013 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux (Post 13144658)
Sorry gal, but this is the internet..........Some people are just dicks about things. Please don't let one person with an attitude turn you away. Bill (NumberDummy) was quick to respond, and others will help also.

I realize that. Just not having a clear way to report it was hard. Just not a great way to hstart the day. I am thnkful to numberdummy. Plus venting helped. Thanks for replying.

fabmandelux 05-09-2013 09:35 AM

99% of the people here will help without question. Some have nothing better to do than gripe. You have the ability to report bad posts. Look at the top right corner of the offending post. See the icon that looks like an exclamation point? That is the report post icon. Click on it and it will open a new window where you can report the post to the forum Mod, and all SuperMods. Hope you stick around. we will offer all the help you will ever need!

flamebringer69 05-09-2013 09:40 AM

Thank u greatly for. That tip. I vented and yes I will stay.best to let it go anyway. I knew that this was a great undertaking when I started. She didn't even run when I got her. That I. Have much to learn...thanks for being gentlemen.

powerstroke72 05-09-2013 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by flamebringer69 (Post 13144667)
I realize that. Just not having a clear way to report it was hard. Just not a great way to hstart the day. I am thnkful to numberdummy. Plus venting helped. Thanks for replying.

Glad you got to vent.:)

Check my post #47 above and you'll see what the post report button looks like.;)

JWA 05-09-2013 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by powerstroke72 (Post 13144666)
Post #9:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-special.html

I read that post and don't think he meant to be offensive.

I disagree ever so slightly. Even though the bulk of the reply was somewhat helpful the last paragraph where the admonishment begins isn't in that same spirit at all. Anyone with 6290 posts to their credit needs to be a bit more aware and understanding of a newbie like someone with only 15 posts to date, that they might not get the humor or whatever is posted that's intended to be so.

Snarky, rude, arrogant and know-it-allness is still no reason to post that sort of stuff, IMHO and $0.02 worth anyway. :) (<<Humor Intended!)

Originally Posted by powerstroke72 (Post 13144666)
Also, just another thought....I saw you started a thread about not being treated like a lady. There's nothing in your posts in the thread about your truck that identifies you as a lady.

Also true and I've noticed more than a few of us MORE than willing to help a woman when/if she braves the last bastion of maleness, all things gasoline, diesel, rubber, sweat and beer---bacon, onions and horseradish too! :D

flamebringer69 05-09-2013 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 13144737)
I disagree ever so slightly. Even though the bulk of the reply was somewhat helpful the last paragraph where the admonishment begins isn't in that same spirit at all. Anyone with 6290 posts to their credit needs to be a bit more aware and understanding of a newbie like someone with only 15 posts to date, that they might not get the humor or whatever is posted that's intended to be so.

Snarky, rude, arrogant and know-it-allness is still no reason to post that sort of stuff, IMHO and $0.02 worth anyway. :) (<<Humor Intended!)

Also true and I've noticed more than a few of us MORE than willing to help a woman when/if she braves the last bastion of maleness, all things gasoline, diesel, rubber, sweat and beer---bacon, onions and horseradish too! :D

I find being a grease monkey a great challange and very fun. And its not real wrench turning if ye don't bleed a bit...so far lots of bruises. That counts as I told my ford freinds. It just under the skin. :) had not thought that this was the last bastion...now putting on a suit of armor, swinging a sword and riding to battle. That was more to my thinking.and yes I do swing a sword n working on the armor :)

JWA 05-09-2013 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by flamebringer69 (Post 13144776)
I find being a grease monkey a great challange and very fun. And its not real wrench turning if ye don't bleed a bit...so far lots of bruises. That counts as I told my ford freinds. It just under the skin. :)

Spot on----not a single person here would disagree with any of that! ^^^

Originally Posted by flamebringer69 (Post 13144776)
had not thought that this was the last bastion...now putting on a suit of armor, swinging a sword and riding to battle. That was more to my thinking. :)

Don't do that----we need a gal to keep us on our toes---too many boys in the pond makes fun but add a girl and its a lot MORE fun! :D

And we all do sincerely welcome you here----its a great site to be sure! :-X25

jayft8 05-10-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by flamebringer69 (Post 13144702)
Thank u greatly for. That tip. I vented and yes I will stay.best to let it go anyway. I knew that this was a great undertaking when I started. She didn't even run when I got her. That I. Have much to learn...thanks for being gentlemen.

Welcome to FTE, Flamebringer
:-wink

(reps sent)

There is the occasional turkey in life, but the good will far outweigh the bad in here (can't make any promises about the ugly, though) ....

flamebringer69 05-11-2013 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by jayft8 (Post 13150002)
Welcome to FTE, Flamebringer
:-wink

(reps sent)

There is the occasional turkey in life, but the good will far outweigh the bad in here (can't make any promises about the ugly, though) ....

Thanks plan to be here more often

GruesomeJeans 05-15-2013 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 13144737)

I had posted about this in the thread she had made, some of the members who have been here longer see a lot of newbies come and go. And these newbies ask the same questions all the time without either searching or trying it themselves first. I don't condone being rude and impatient with people over the net, there is no reason too and being on the internet, there is no rush to answer. I was told this by a fellow FTE member that has been around for a while but primarily hangs with me and the bronco crew. He explained how a lot of the new members these days ask a question without searching first and finding out that there are already threads made for that.

My point is, though being rude and snarky isn't cool even on the net, he has a valid reason.

Horseradish is gross...

BigF350 05-15-2013 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans (Post 13162875)
I had posted about this in the thread she had made, some of the members who have been here longer see a lot of newbies come and go. And these newbies ask the same questions all the time without either searching or trying it themselves first. I don't condone being rude and impatient with people over the net, there is no reason too and being on the internet, there is no rush to answer. I was told this by a fellow FTE member that has been around for a while but primarily hangs with me and the bronco crew. He explained how a lot of the new members these days ask a question without searching first and finding out that there are already threads made for that.

My point is, though being rude and snarky isn't cool even on the net, he has a valid reason.

Horseradish is gross...

There is a balance there.

We understand the frustration with pandering to new users who don't search, or do things that experienced users consider asinine, but we can also often quickly forget that we all were once new users who didn't know everything and were walking into a new community.

FTE's philosophy has been that we try to encourage people to help - irrespective of the "stupidity" of the question, in the hope that we can guide them to gain the knowledge so that they can/want to also contribute back to the community.

GruesomeJeans 05-15-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BigF350 (Post 13164437)

We understand the frustration with pandering to new users who don't search, or do things that experienced users consider asinine, but we can also often quickly forget that we all were once new users who didn't know everything and were walking into a new community.

FTE's philosophy has been that we try to encourage people to help - irrespective of the "stupidity" of the question, in the hope that we can guide them to gain the knowledge so that they can/want to also contribute back to the community.

And that's how it should be too, but once in a while maybe are having a bad day or something and just let it slip. I'm sure it's happened to everyone at some point.

kw5413 05-15-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by BigF350 (Post 13164437)

Sounds like a commercial.....:-X04